PDA

View Full Version : Late season thinhorn sheep hunting

Alfonz
03-22-2015, 06:00 PM
I'm interested in hearing about peoples experience hunting sheep in the late season. I have done it now twice and have found some pros and cons. If you have hunted in the late season please let me know what you like the best and the least.

Al

srupp
03-22-2015, 06:02 PM
Hmmmm pro...tracks in the snow
Cons..some sheep already harvested..fog..slopes bcome dangerous..
Srupp

leadpillproductions
03-22-2015, 06:42 PM
I hear the young kids like to hunt sheep late in the season . (inside joke )
Pros being able to hunt other animals
cons weather

Alfonz
03-22-2015, 07:12 PM
As for a pros
tracks was a real big deal for me.
No bugs was nice too!
Rams were with the ewes or at least in the area.
No other hunters

Cons- I found late season sheep to be a lot different table fare then August sheep (a little gamey)!
Deep drifts sucked.
Short days.

Timberjack
03-22-2015, 07:38 PM
What is everyone considering to be late season? Like mid-sept or is everyone thinking late is into oct? I'll be headed out this year and we're trying to figure out how early/late to go...

TJ

Alfonz
03-22-2015, 07:41 PM
I'm talking October. The last two weeks of the season.

butcher
03-22-2015, 07:51 PM
I found frozen boots and sideways snow to be a con. Drifts sucked, so did the howling wind. Got shut down on Rams cause of visibility too.

On on the plus side Rams could be easily spotted on snow, there was no pressure on them and we saw a buttload of other game especially rutting moose.

srupp
03-22-2015, 09:48 PM
Hmmm in one of our sheep, grizz, moose trips zero visability for entire 11 days...some days even hard re..finding camp coming off the lake..nada for landmarks..ended up sending our plane home and changed locations to a river where Todd shot his first big game animal a bull moose..massive old warrior that I called in..lol late season sure didnt work out that year..
Another late season hunt went to bed..started snowing hard..big wet flakes..trees started cradhing down hit out utility trailer busting an axle took a while to cut our way out..
On another deer cali hunt snowed like crazy..last truck out following a plow that was specifically sent out for stranded hunters..I was the only idiot..however did get a big bodied gang ranch mulie..
Nope too much heartache on late hunts...
Steven

teelt
03-22-2015, 10:01 PM
If your round Alfonz we can talk this week finally in town all week. We did quite a bit late hunting last year from September onwards to the last weekend my buddy went out. Saw Rams just hard to get with all the snow and short days. It's tough spottin dalls in snow too but easier seeing tracks. Last year was a bit tougher up here though considering we had snow in high country mid September.

40incher
03-22-2015, 11:22 PM
Shot a Stone ram on October 26th a few years ago, before the season was cut back to the 15th.

At that time of year the rams are starting to move towards the winter range, and where the ewes are. This one was definitely gamey as compared to rams we have taken earlier in the season.

The weather is the biggest threat and can be dangerous, but then again the weather can screw you up an August hunt too!

Focus on a late hunt where you can have a good and warm base camp, and spike out when the weather permits.

Alfonz
03-23-2015, 10:17 AM
Shot a Stone ram on October 26th a few years ago, before the season was cut back to the 15th.

At that time of year the rams are starting to move towards the winter range, and where the ewes are. This one was definitely gamey as compared to rams we have taken earlier in the season.

The weather is the biggest threat and can be dangerous, but then again the weather can screw you up an August hunt too!

Focus on a late hunt where you can have a good and warm base camp, and spike out when the weather permits.

Glad to hear someone else found late rams had a different taste to them. I'm not sure if I would pass on the early season to hold out for the last two weeks.

boxhitch
03-23-2015, 10:44 AM
October 10 th rams still taste good , but like all sheep meat it changes flavour when frozen.