PDA

View Full Version : West Kootenay Wolf Problem

Brando95
03-22-2015, 03:42 PM
I've grown up in the West Kootenays and it seems like every year our elk and deer population goes down SUBSTANTIALLY!!! Its been since winter that i've even seen an elk and white-tail even seem to be super elusive now. If anybody has any pics or leads as to where these packs are really large i would greatly appreciate some info and even posting pics would be cool too.

Whonnock Boy
03-22-2015, 06:46 PM
Can't help you with the wolves but, would the lower than average snow pack have anything to do with the lack of animal sightings in their usual wintering ground areas?

BgBlkDg
03-22-2015, 07:13 PM
No, not really as many of the ungulates in the WK actually spend most of their lives on private lands and very experienced-successful local hunters told me last autumn, of flights over the WK, up to Glacier Park boundary and seeing NO ungulate sign, but, wolf tracks everywhere.

The snowpack has been this low several times in past years and the animals seem to stay in certain areas unless it gets VERY deep. Wolves, and BEARS are a major cause of this and Coyotes, Cougars and poaching do a lot of damage.

What, do you expect, so few COs, so many predators and the disgusting "hippy" attitudes toward scientific game management and hunting...........

bearheart
03-28-2015, 05:47 PM
I have a friend who lies in the Boundary area. Very bush wise. He saw a large wolf walking down the dirt road in front of his place this winter. He's only about 1/4 mile from the paved road. He's lived there over 15 years and had never seen one in the area before, much less near his front yard! The deer number around his place are virtually 0. I'd love to shoot one of the devils.