PDA

View Full Version : First sheep hunt HELP

butterz
03-21-2015, 09:51 PM
Alright, so two friends and I are planning our first stone sheep hunt this fall. We are kind of lost on hike in locations. That might be an understatement! We are in our early 30's and willing to put the effort in. We have 10 days booked for our trip,with 8 of them being days in the bush. We've been looking at MU 7-50/7-51 because of info we've read. Maybe we could meet up with Geoskier (jk) as we are also looking into Testa river trail. We have never been up in this area before so any help would be appreciated. Feel free to pm me

thanks Jeremy

03-21-2015, 10:00 PM
Hey good luck to you .... For better access further in .... spend some hard earned money with a Packer/Transporter like Steamboat Mnt or Tetsa River outfitters ...... Those are horseback drop camp outfits ..... Or Riverjet Adventures .... All good outfits, will put you in good Ram country ...... Been there done it with them ...... P M me if you want

well worth the experience ....... If not u can hike in off the highway in a number of places too. Tougher that's all.

40incher
03-21-2015, 10:09 PM
C'mon you old and tired coffin-dodging resident sheep hunters ... give the young ones some info. You can pm it to them if you want ...

Buck
03-21-2015, 10:43 PM
This should get you started http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?54311-Stone-s-sheep-hunting-locations&highlight=stone+sheep+hunt+locations

Alfonz
03-22-2015, 09:06 AM
Have you guys considered the west side? There are a few spots north of Dease lake that are within walking distance.

butterz
03-22-2015, 10:10 AM
thanks curly.. We just can't justify the extra money to get transported in this year . I've two girls under two ;) I have some gear to buy as well spotting scope bigger pack (stone glacier 5100)

Buck..I've read this post many times. I still feel lost. We are getting ready for a epic trip.

eric
03-22-2015, 10:24 AM
Any place along the highway your going to have company..

On the left side ,just before the Toad River bridge,there is access to some Sheep hunting, tough hiking,but there is Sheep in there.

bigwhiteys
03-22-2015, 10:56 AM
Any place along the highway your going to have company..
On the left side ,just before the Toad River bridge,there is access to some Sheep hunting, tough hiking,but there is Sheep in there.

That is probably one of the most popular hiking spots and has been for a very long time. There are plenty of other places to go and explore up there and some hikes are much easier than others (horse or cat trails) and for that reason see more pressure. If it were my first time going in with no knowledge and no spot chosen I'd be glassing from the highway from summit lake to north of muncho in the early hours of the morning or at last light to find some areas where sheep are moving.

Then once we had a bead on where there were some sheep at I'd find the closest drainage or ridge and start my hike into that back country and find a good place to setup camp. From there you'll climb some mountains, do hours of glassing, and see a whole lot more country to hunt.

butterz
03-22-2015, 01:07 PM
Bigwhiteys That is another option that we are thinking of. Just hard to tell our wives where we are that way;) It should be a fun adventure.

DawsonCreedmoor
03-22-2015, 02:08 PM
What days are you planning on going? do you have access to a quad?

butterz
03-22-2015, 04:16 PM
Yes I have access to a quad. Our plan is leave Kelowna August 28 and back Sept 6 or 7th.

butterz
03-27-2015, 09:39 PM
Thank you guys for all the help/info on my upcoming sheep hunt.

elknut
03-27-2015, 09:53 PM
Head up Nonda creek to the lookout ..You can hunt up 8 mile or head toward sulfur creek The mountains straight ahead all have sheep as also farther in ..Get good maps and also google it .You can print your own if you have a printer..Its got lots of sheep..

budismyhorse
03-28-2015, 09:44 AM
Have a few back up plans in your pocket. I would plan on a couple 3-4 day short trips.

mt Petersen ridge is a good trip for a few days. Box Canyon up Macdonald creek... Those type of trips.

get your feet wet and learn the country.

bckoothunter
03-28-2015, 12:02 PM
Get a Backroad map book or other maps and look at the drainages between Summit Lake and Muncho Lake. Through the advice already given and the thread on stones, you'll have lots of drainages identified. I printed off lots of google earth pictures of the various drainages and they proved to be very helpful in finding landmarks etc. If you hunt off the Alaska highway by foot, you'll need at least 3-4 options decided on for day 1. If you find the parking areas, the trail heads are pretty easy to find with a little looking. Many drainages will require multiple creek crossings, be careful if you get a lot of rain while you are back in the mountains, the creeks can rise fast. In my experience, your dates are pretty good, I've not had any problems with other hunters, except the McDonald which can be busy, but easy to tell that from the parking lot. You'll have as good a chance as anyone if you put on some miles and glass lots. Don't walk by too much without glassing and things can change overnight. Hunting pressure off the highway moves sheep over from drainage to drainage often. Google earth was my best friend for my trips, the country up there is pretty easy to get a read on from the images. Don't be afraid to pack up and hit a new drainage if you don't like what you see, lots of places that you can be hunting in a few hours of hard hiking. Have fun and good luck.