PDA

View Full Version : 2015 LEH Shared Moose hunt question

ajeatoo
03-21-2015, 08:21 AM
Hi

i have been looking at the 2015/2016 LEH Regs which are released yesterday but can't figure outs the section on shared hunts for bison and moose. It says on page 3 shared hunts are for bison and moose only, you can apply as individual or up to groups of 4.

Then it says "If any member of a group applying for a shared hunt has been drawn for a moose in the previous three years or for a bison in the previous year, then the entire group will be treated as previously successful and their odds will be reduced."

So so my question is this, my husband was successful for a bison draw last year. We want to apply for a shared hunt for moose this year, but will his odds be reduced for moose this year because he drew bison last year? He has never received a moose leh. Do the odds apply per species only or does it apply to both?

Ho do you guys read it?

bcriverhunter
03-21-2015, 08:25 AM
(my take)....he has 100% odds on moose, just like you!..good luck!��

Rhyno
03-21-2015, 08:30 AM
Per species.... The bison draw will not affect his odds of pulling a moose draw.

ajeatoo
03-21-2015, 08:32 AM
That's how I read it, but he reads if opposite. We have a group of three of us my husband and our friend both drew leh bison last year, I am a new Hunter so obviously haven't even applied until this year. So now I have my doubts... I wouldn't think they'd lump the two species together, but you never know.

May ay need to try to contact them to clarify.

j270wsm
03-21-2015, 08:53 AM
One of the Leh guys told me that the computer selects a random 6 digit number for your leh entry. starting with the lowest number they assign tags until the tags are gone. If you've been successful within the last 3 yrs you get put into a separate pool. The computer picks the lowest number then skips the next three lowest numbers. So card numbers 1, 5, 9, 13, 17, 21, would get tags.

So theoretically on the reduced odds system, a group of 4 still has a really good chance of being drawn in consecutive years. It just depends where your random number falls.

your husbands previous bison draw cannot affect your group moose hunt odds. It can only affect his odds for bison.

Salix
03-21-2015, 12:42 PM
It's species specific. Moose is separate from bison.
There is a report on the bc government wildlife web site that explains how the LEH draw is conducted.

Rhyno
03-21-2015, 12:52 PM
That's how I read it, but he reads if opposite. We have a group of three of us my husband and our friend both drew leh bison last year, I am a new Hunter so obviously haven't even applied until this year. So now I have my doubts... I wouldn't think they'd lump the two species together, but you never know.

May ay need to try to contact them to clarify.

Its cut and dry...you are right he is wrong...end of story :)

Moosevinder
03-21-2015, 01:58 PM
first post, sorry don't have a joke..

As I read it, you have confused a 'GROUP hunt' (which has has only one chance, like an individual hunter) for success; however, if successful ALL in the group receive LEH. So a group hunt with four hunters, if successful can harvest four moose, one each) vs a group of hunters applying for a 'SHARED hunt' (in which 1-2 hunters together can take 1 moose, or if 3 or 4 apply together then the group can take up to two animals).

Since the official GROUP hunt has only only one chance at being chosen, and the chance of success is reduced if any one of the group's GROUP application was successful in landing a LEH in the last year, then this is not really the best way IMO apply for moose or bison. A Shared hunt gives more chances for success, and few hunters need a whole moose or bison to themselves.

What is confusing is the use of a group of hunters later in the LEH booklet is NOT the same as an official GROUP hunt. Hope this helps.

R

ajeatoo
03-21-2015, 02:06 PM
Hahaha I like your reasoning Rhyno!! :grin: I'll be sure to mention that to him!

Moosevinder, no I am actually talking about Shared Hunt not Group Hunt, it says group hunts for moose and bison have been replaced with Shared hunts, and under the Shared Hunt heading it says they are for moose and bison only. But yes you are correct as to the number of animals that can be taken, for a group of 3 or 4 on a shared hunt they can take two moose or bison, a group of 2 can take only 1 of whichever animal their leh is for.

Moosevinder
03-21-2015, 04:18 PM
you are correct. thnks

Wagonmaster
03-21-2015, 04:57 PM
Ajeatoo, I agree with you, the statement you quoted is confusing and if taken literally, does suggest a connection between the two species. I don't believe one will affect the other, but they need to reword that statement. You'll probably feel better if you phone. After all, we only get a shot at this once every year unless you are rich and from Wisconsin. Perhaps bringing it to the Ministry's attention will result in a correction.

j270wsm
03-21-2015, 05:30 PM
first post, sorry don't have a joke..

As I read it, you have confused a 'GROUP hunt' (which has has only one chance, like an individual hunter) for success; however, if successful ALL in the group receive LEH. So a group hunt with four hunters, if successful can harvest four moose, one each) vs a group of hunters applying for a 'SHARED hunt' (in which 1-2 hunters together can take 1 moose, or if 3 or 4 apply together then the group can take up to two animals).

Since the official GROUP hunt has only only one chance at being chosen, and the chance of success is reduced if any one of the group's GROUP application was successful in landing a LEH in the last year, then this is not really the best way IMO apply for moose or bison. A Shared hunt gives more chances for success, and few hunters need a whole moose or bison to themselves.

What is confusing is the use of a group of hunters later in the LEH booklet is NOT the same as an official GROUP hunt. Hope this helps.

R

This is the mont confusing post I've ever read( read it 5 times and im still confused ).

Moose and bison are individual leh or shared hunts. There is no group hunt for moose or bison.

ajeatoo
03-21-2015, 08:23 PM
Exactly Wagonmaster, I think the species are considered separately however it doesn't seem completely clear, a little ambiguous as it is written and since we only have one slim chance I want to be certain before we send in any applications. I will see if I can get through to someone on Monday and will post an update.

j270wsm
03-21-2015, 09:43 PM
Don't take this wrong....but there is no need to call anyone. Having a bison draw last year CANNOT affect your odds of being drawn for moose. They are two separate species and have no bearing on each other. The regs aren't confusing at all. They simply explain what a shared hunt is and how the odds work. Just because it says moose OR bison doesn't meant a successful application affects the other species odds. In this case it just means there both shared hunts.

ajeatoo
10-10-2015, 11:45 AM
Well I didn't get drawn for anything this year but my husband was successful in his shared moose hunt! They got any bull in region 7-7, leaving tomorrow. Guys only trip so I get to stay home (not so thrilled about that!!!). The other guys in the group want to go to Giscome/Eaglet lake vicinity. We've never been there and I'm reading that it will be busy.

Fingers crossed they they get a moose (or two)!! Any tips more than welcome!