PDA

View Full Version : Permit to accompany

Edge
03-21-2015, 07:19 AM
I am planning on inviting a cousin of mine to a spring blacky hunt in the future. As he is from another province I will be required to apply for a "permit to accompany" and of course there are fees involved. I get the $75 hunting licence and I also get the extra cost for a tag $180...but as I look further into the permit application I also discover a "royalty fee" of another $75 if he is successful. So that's $330 for fees so that he can take a blacky.
Also as I've not had a blacky tag for many years ( I don't eat so I wasn't interested) I have to have a blacky tag for 3 yrs before I can invite him. I find this one a bit much to swallow.
I could shorten the wait for 1 year if I take the CORE course. I've had my licence since I was 15 yrs old (I'm 60 now) and have been grandfathered in to every configuration of licencing since then. Obviously the grandfathering aspect is a closiing window and as you want to access anything but the very basics for your own personal use one has to eventually step up. At 60 I don't want to "waste" 1 yr waiting so I'll probably just take the course and be done with it.
thanks for listening...nothing really meant to accomplish by this post EXCEPT My cousin could avoid any of this wait if he pays a G/O $$$$$$ and becomes a customer...I find this offensive to me and my fellow Canadians. This is not LEH and he will NEVER afford a guided trip !

end of post

mikeboehm
03-21-2015, 07:51 AM
it's expensive to hunt for a non resident of BC I brought my buddy from Saskatchewan here a couple times and I didn't need to hold a specific species tag for 3 years for him to be able to hunt here. so I'm wondering if is that only for black bear

moosecamp
03-21-2015, 08:05 AM
You might want to check their website. A cousin is not a accepted relationship for a permit to accompany.
http://www.frontcounterbc.gov.bc.ca/guides/fish-wildlife/accompany-to-hunt/what-you-need-to-apply/

Who you will be accompanying

Applicants may accompany either or both:

A non-resident - a person who is not a resident of British Columbia but who

is a Canadian Citizen, a permanent resident of Canada; or,
Has his/her sole or permanent residence in Canada and has resided in Canada for the 12 month period immediately prior to the date of this application.

A non-resident alien (a person who is neither a resident nor a non-resident) whose relationship to the applicant falls within the following categories:

Father
Mother
Spouse

Brother
Sister
Father-in-law

Son
Daughter
Mother-in-law

Uncle
Aunt
Son-in-law

Nephew
Niece
Daughter-in-law

Grandson
Granddaughter
Brother-in-law

Grandfather
Grandmother
Sister-in-law

Note: "COUSIN" is not an accepted relationship

Edge
03-21-2015, 08:28 AM
You might want to check their website. A cousin is not a accepted relationship for a permit to accompany.
http://www.frontcounterbc.gov.bc.ca/guides/fish-wildlife/accompany-to-hunt/what-you-need-to-apply/

Has his/her sole or permanent residence in Canada and has resided in Canada for the 12 month period immediately prior to the date of this application.

A non-resident alien (a person who is neither a resident nor a non-resident) whose relationship to the applicant falls within the following categories:

Father
Mother
Spouse

Brother
Sister
Father-in-law

Son
Daughter
Mother-in-law

Uncle
Aunt
Son-in-law

Nephew
Niece
Daughter-in-law

Grandson
Granddaughter
Brother-in-law

Grandfather
Grandmother
Sister-in-law

As I read this...the list is for Non-resident alien (non-Canadian)....my cousin is a Canadian and a resident of Canada

Edge
03-21-2015, 08:31 AM
it's expensive to hunt for a non resident of BC I brought my buddy from Saskatchewan here a couple times and I didn't need to hold a specific species tag for 3 years for him to be able to hunt here. so I'm wondering if is that only for black bear

how many years ago was that ? I did the same for another cousin many years ago and without checking further I "assumed" the rules had changed

bridger
03-21-2015, 09:01 AM
Non resident Canadians do not have to be related to the permit holder. The three year tag requirement is something I was unaware of.

2chodi
03-21-2015, 09:09 AM
I don't think you need to have had a black bear licence, just "a" licence of some kind.

Held a BC resident hunting licence AND a big game species licence for 3 of the 5 years immediately preceding application for this permit; OR,
Successfully completed the BC Conservation and Outdoor Recreation Education Program, and held a BC resident hunting AND a big game species licence for 2 of the 5 years immediately preceding application for this permit;

redthorn
03-21-2015, 09:18 AM

Father
Mother
Spouse

Brother
Sister
Father-in-law

Son
Daughter
Mother-in-law

Uncle
Aunt
Son-in-law

Nephew
Niece
Daughter-in-law

Grandson
Granddaughter
Brother-in-law

Grandfather
Grandmother
Sister-in-law

I went over this thoroughly with a CO last year as we had a cousin from Holland that wanted to hunt with us. Basically it breaks down into the following.

any resident of Canada irregardless of relationship can hunt with you under permit to accompany.
Any non resident can hunt BIG GAME with you under permit as long as they are of the relationships shown above.
Any Non resident irregardless of relationship can hunt small game and upland game birds with you.

So for you, if he is a Canadian resident, you are good to go and should get the permit to accompany.

IronNoggin
03-21-2015, 11:00 AM
THIS:

I don't think you need to have had a black bear licence, just "a" licence of some kind.

Held a BC resident hunting licence AND a big game species licence for 3 of the 5 years immediately preceding application for this permit; OR,
Successfully completed the BC Conservation and Outdoor Recreation Education Program, and held a BC resident hunting AND a big game species licence for 2 of the 5 years immediately preceding application for this permit;

You are Good To Go for this year as long as you've had ANY big game tag through 3 of the 5 past years.

Happy Hunting!

Cheers,
Nog

argyle1
03-21-2015, 11:10 AM
If you are still unclear, PM decker9. He did a permit to accompany last fall and can give you the details. I know it was very easy

nap
03-21-2015, 06:37 PM
Accompany To Hunt Permit Application (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/applications/docs/accompany_to_hunt.pdf)

Dont forget there is a $55.00 fee when you fill out the form and send it in. I have taken a cousin hunting back in 2010 from another province and have since been accepted to take 2 brothers every since. Last year I got a bit of a run around and the form was not accepted until a week or 2 before the hunt was to take place. (3 months wait) and canceled the trip when I spoke to the manager in the Fort St John (3 weeks prior to making the hunt) informed me that she was extremely busy and the out fitters would be looked after first. Get the form in early is a must and just hope for the best. Good Luck!

mikeboehm
03-21-2015, 06:39 PM
I just had a permit to accompany last November my buddy from Saskatchewan came to hunt with us when we went to Queen Charlotte Islands with Canada in the rough and the year before he came elk hunting with me in the Kootenays

1980skywalker
03-21-2015, 07:13 PM
I 'accompanied' a buddy of mine from Alberta two years ago on a black bear hunt on the Island. The fees suck but I never had to deal with having a tag for black bear for 3 years, not sure what that is all about but I am pretty sure you are good to go like Nog said. The one part to think about is it takes about a month to get the permit to go through so make sure you plan in advance. Its a pain in the ass but I gotta agree with it as I really don't want it to be easy for anyone to come here and hunt our animals.

Edge
03-22-2015, 07:11 AM
I 'accompanied' a buddy of mine from Alberta two years ago on a black bear hunt on the Island. The fees suck but I never had to deal with having a tag for black bear for 3 years, not sure what that is all about but I am pretty sure you are good to go like Nog said. The one part to think about is it takes about a month to get the permit to go through so make sure you plan in advance. Its a pain in the ass but I gotta agree with it as I really don't want it to be easy for anyone to come here and hunt our animals.

I'm +1 on that ....especially with folks from other countries. I do however have a more lenient feeling about fellow Canadians and I wish that it would also be easier for us to go there. I think Alberta has the right idea. As long as you know someone..my $.02

Viper
03-22-2015, 10:30 AM
I just got a Permit to Accompany for a buddy coming from Alberta for a spring bear hunt. I applied on line and had the permit emailed to me in three weeks. Done it before with same results. The only place I heard of with the three year thing is the Yukon. Yes the fees are high but still cheaper than with a GOABC guy. Black bear hunting on the island is worth the price.

Viper
03-22-2015, 01:01 PM
Did not post 1st time