PDA

View Full Version : InReach Explorer question

Coop
03-20-2015, 09:30 PM
Just got the inReach Explorer and loaded up the contacts, synced and paired it with my iPhone. Everyone I send a text to sees a different number. So how can I give someone my inReach contact info so they can text me?

Thanks if anyone can help

Kudu
03-20-2015, 09:39 PM
When I send texts it allways uses the same 778 number - can't say why yours keeps changing

Riverwalker
03-20-2015, 09:41 PM
Is any one else using a in reach device? I am think of getting one this year.

Buck
03-20-2015, 09:49 PM
I have the explorer and love it.No dropped calls confirms that the message has been received works very well.The above issue i'm not sure about i get messages back no one has mentioned the phone number changing.
I do not have a cell phone i just use the explorer.Pairs with my itouch makes typing messages quicker plus it works as a gps on cached maps on my itouch.

Lastcar
03-21-2015, 01:40 AM
I have one as well. My understanding is this was an issue in the past but was sorted now. Along with Canadian numbers, saving people replying from getting dinged for US texting.

I'll try to test mine tomorrow and let you know.

BCHoyt
03-21-2015, 05:35 AM
How do you guys like the inreach explorer? Would you suggest it over a spot gen3?

coastal616
03-21-2015, 06:50 AM
I have one and love it, I read on their forum a while back that you don't actually get your own inreach number, you get a random number from their bank of numbers when you use it. It seems you get that number for a period of time, and eventually it changes. If there is anyone I want to talk to while heading away from civilization, I just send them a message and tell them to reply to that number. Unless it has changed in the last 6 months or so, that's how it was. ;)

Kudu
03-21-2015, 07:51 AM
How do you guys like the inreach explorer? Would you suggest it over a spot gen3?

Tried both - kept the Inreach.

Last year I had it Africa, Europe and the Middle East, it never skipped a beat, missed a message and kept my wife and kids in-touch with me 24/7. (Plus it saved me a fortune on roaming charges)

digger dogger
03-21-2015, 07:51 AM
Is any one else using a in reach device? I am think of getting one this year.

I have one, love it. Get one!!!
I've used spot, 1st gen (one way text)
I had an Irridium,
Expensive to connect and talk, and made me home sick when i'd talk to wife/kids.
Inreach is the best way to go imho, dollar for dollar.

swampthing
03-21-2015, 07:58 AM
I have one and don't like it. Like you said it uses a different number everytime you text. No one can text me unless I text them first and identify who I am. They can reply to my text at that point. That being said..I threw it in the bottom of the gear pile and haven't used it in about 10 months. Sounds like they may have sorted the number thing out but I still think no one can reach you unless you contact them first?

338 winmag
03-21-2015, 08:25 AM
Got a Inreach SE a few months ago and going to retire my spot, no comparison in my opinion, you have to send a message to your prime contacts first but they just keep it and can respond to it if they need to contact you, works fine for me.

Lastcar
03-21-2015, 12:25 PM
Ya, maybe I had it wrong then...maybe it was just the US vs CDN phone number they sorted out.

I do believe if the person you message saves a message or the number they can instigate future messages. There are days I am out for the day when the whole family is at the lake and haven't sent a message and yet get a "We are supposed to head home soon, you are on your way back right?"

You all know the answer so I won't bore you with my lies to her question. ;-)

I asked her and she says she just digs up an old message. To the best of her recollection FWIW.

35rem
03-21-2015, 05:29 PM
I just came back from a trip tobogganing on the frozen lakes in Bowron Lake Park and took my InReach with me. While standing on thin ice in the middle of Isaac Lake, 50 km out of any populated area, my InReach told me that it "had been damaged and messages could not be sent or received". As you may understand, not the time or place where one wants to get this message from a device specifically designed to keep me "safe and connected anywhere on the planet". Switching the unit off and on seemed to get it back to life temporarily, but it kept giving me this message at random times and stopped sending tracking points until a reboot. For the record: we were traveling on foot with the InReach either in my pocket or strapped to the top of my toboggan. It has not been dropped, kicked or otherwise abused (I do admit I was tempted to give it a final resting place at the bottom of the lake..) Fortunately my buddy had his Spot with him and, while not able to send/receive text messages, it did RELIABLY send tracking information without fail.

When I got back I contacted David Jones, technical support analyst for Inreach. He apologized for my experiences and promised to swap the unit out ASAP. Inreach received my unit on Mar 9th at 15:43. I am still waiting for a replacement or refund. I also had to fight them from charging me service fees while the unit is inoperable.

When the unit worked it was great, but it has to be RELIABLE first and foremost. And, if something goes wrong, you want a company that stands behind its product...

kodiak18
03-21-2015, 07:11 PM
I think there a great unit. Took mine to Kyrgyzstan on ibex hunt. My family could text me anytime. Never have had an issue in the year I've owned it.

Coop
03-21-2015, 07:17 PM
Took it out today and it was great to have. Communications were perfect. Because I can't reliably give my contacts my inReach # I have sent them all an email from the inReach. The emails send them a URL address which they can copy and save into their contact list. That way anytime they want to reach me they send an email via the URL and my inReach will receive it. We can communicate by text from there forward if we like.

Anyways, super pleased with the unit and considering what it offers I think it's actually practical to own.

digger dogger
03-22-2015, 09:11 AM
I forgot to mention, my inreach has a tough time linking to my phone, if its really cold.
I keep it in my jacket.
Last year on a hunt, i used buddies inreach, no problem linking to his phone in chilly weather.
That'd be my only concern with inreach.
Would be shitty with an injury waiting for inreach to get warm!

35rem
03-23-2015, 10:03 PM
When I got back I contacted David Jones, technical support analyst for Inreach. He apologized for my experiences and promised to swap the unit out ASAP. Inreach received my unit on Mar 9th at 15:43. I am still waiting for a replacement or refund.

Today I received another email from David Jones from InReach: my replacement unit shipped out today and they credited me 1 month of service. Hopefully this one will have a longer lifespan than its predecessor...