PDA

View Full Version : Spring Goose Opener Video

CSG
03-20-2015, 04:37 PM
hey guys,

just posted up a thread and video of our spring goose season opener in the mainland section but wanted to post it for waterfowl hunters too. You can find it here, enjoy

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?116142-Spring-Goose-Hunting-Video

Mods. If I am not allow to double post like this then I would like to leave the post on the mainland forum. Thanks

lorneparker1
03-20-2015, 05:30 PM
Wow

fowl language
03-21-2015, 08:08 AM
I will probably take some flack for this but drinking alcohol will handling a firearm in the blind sends the wrong message to the public and children about hunting. my 2 cents....dale

lorneparker1
03-21-2015, 08:44 AM
no flack from me. also hunting on a huge pile of potatoes is really pushing the grey area of baiting. Otherwise a very well done video

FirePower
03-21-2015, 10:18 AM
I will probably take some flack for this but drinking alcohol will handling a firearm in the blind sends the wrong message to the public and children about hunting. my 2 cents....dale

no flack from me. also hunting on a huge pile of potatoes is really pushing the grey area of baiting. Otherwise a very well done video

X3, My only 2 criticisms on an otherwise top drawer film.

CBH
03-21-2015, 11:56 AM
Fowl language, lorneparker1 and FirePower - appreciate all of your feedback!! To address the potatoes and grey area of baiting, the potatoes were piled there by the farmer to compost and be turned into the soil for nutrient enhancement. The interesting thing is that the geese do not eat the raw potatoes, they are eating the fresh green shoots from the left over potatoes and onions dispersed throughout the fields. We setup our blinds on the potato piles as there are no other depressions or terrain features that allow us to hide, and we do not have coffin blinds.

Otherwise, glad you enjoyed the film! Stay tuned for more films upcoming this year.

CBH

lorneparker1
03-21-2015, 12:07 PM
geese and ducks for that matter will both eat raw potatoes no problem. we had about 3 to 5k mallards on a pile about the one you are set up on for 2 months. there is no chance i would set up anywhere within the 400 yard allowable distance. not worth the risk IMO. i guess i would ask if that pile was corn and being used in the same way (compost by the farmer) would you set up on it?

f350ps
03-21-2015, 12:34 PM
A farmer swaths his grain but before he can combine it the rains start and he walks away. Would you shoot over that bait? :) K

fowl language
03-21-2015, 02:17 PM
I believe the potatoes were put there as culls or soft by the farmer ,this is not put there by hunters in order to attract wildlife. further to that they could be put there to bait other animals and it would still be legal. in all my years of waterfowling I have not ever seen geese on a potato pile ,ducks yes geese no....my 2 cents

lorneparker1
03-21-2015, 07:04 PM
a barely swatch is "normal farming practice" a huge pile of potatoes sitting there decomposing is a bit of a different animal. like i said, its grey but i wouldn't want to push it