PDA

View Full Version : Fraser River clean up event with the Fraser River Keepers Saturday March 28

jeff341
03-20-2015, 03:00 PM
Hey all,

I have been approached by a local firm in Chilliwack (Woodtone) to help with a great annual event. It is in it's 8th year and has been a great success. Basically, volunteers (you) head out to the end of Gill Road and meet up. There, organizers (Kevin) will give some direction and begin the clean up of all kinds of trash and debris in the area before the freshet runs it all into the waters farther down. Lots of hot coffee with sweets & snacks from Starbucks and a good free lunch lunch provided (hamburgers, hotdogs, pulled pork sandwiches) by a lot of other local business and cooked by me.....Come on down, lend a hand meet some great people.

Steeleco
03-20-2015, 05:30 PM
Never done that end of the river, sound's like a great idea. Will know closer to the day , but I'm keen.

Whonnock Boy
03-20-2015, 05:37 PM
Good on you guys for cleaning up after the pigs. Remind us closer to the date. ;)

Farmer
03-21-2015, 10:41 AM
The only problem is that they have waited too long. The river is up 2 to 4 feet in the past week and with rain and warmer weather all week, it will stay up.
Unfortunately and strangely, the river was at or very near its lowest level of the fall/winter in mid September.

Marsh Hawk
03-21-2015, 10:42 AM
Good work guys. That will intercept some of the crap that will end up down in the Ladner Marsh where we hold a cleanup every spring. This year we are planning for Saturday May 9th. For our cleanup, Delta helps us out by supplying a demo bin and paying the tip fees. We supply the labour. Do you have the City of Chilliwack able to help you out like this? Just an idea. Good work, I hope it goes well. Please post some pics after the event

jeff341
03-21-2015, 03:56 PM
Thanks for all the interest fellas,

As far as this event goes, this is my first year getting involved. There is support from the city regarding the tipping fees of the bins, so thats covered. As well with the timing of the event, it was originally set for Earth Day, but moved to be ahead of that as a lot of volunteer muscles were busy with other Earth Day events.

I'm hoping for some sunshine, and lots of people.....We're packing in at least 25 kg of 28 hour slow braised pulled pork to help fill up all the hungry helpers. Burgers, hot dogs for the kids and hot coffee from Starbucks.

If you do make it out, make sure to say hello as you grab some hot lunch.....i'll be the one slinging off of the two 5 foot BBQ's

jeff341
03-25-2015, 04:05 PM
Just a reminder!!!!

This event is happening rain or shine.

03-25-2015, 05:45 PM
Great effort by all involved, always leave a rivers edge with more garbage in my jacket then I came with .... sad the uses of the system can be the worst culprits.

On another note ...... how about a CLEAN-UP of the derelict BC FERRY and several other small vessels some 1/2 capsized just down stream of Mission .... what a SHAME and true tourist attraction for our Local Sturgeon fishery. Must be really good for the health of the river.

Another thing Minister Steve Thomson should be enforcing possibly .... mind you he's not doing his job for Wildlife Allocation either.

tim3500
03-25-2015, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the reminder . Will see ya there in the AM

jeff341
03-27-2015, 07:53 AM
I'll make sure to post a few pictures of the before and after at the site. I'm hearing the water is up a fair bit lately, we'll get what we can.