PDA

View Full Version : Spotting scopes; viper HD 65, razor HD 50mm or leupold GR 60

noth615
03-20-2015, 09:15 AM
I am looking into getting a spotting scope for this hunting season, and I cant seem to decide between the vortex Viper 15x45 by 65mm, the razor 11x33by 50mm or "save up for category " Leupold GR 12x 60mm, non HD

They are all in similar price range, and relative objective lens and magnification, I know there are lots of previous threads on here with each spotting scope..... but none that really compare them against each other.

My hunting needs are 70% backpack hunting, and 30 % spotting from a vehicle.

weight is not the most important preference, the ability of the glass for the price is!

any recommendations ?

spear
03-20-2015, 09:34 AM
Save and buy the 65mm razor, im sure summer people on here will disagree but I think they are every bit as good as a swaro.

BRvalley
03-20-2015, 09:37 AM
in the save up category, I'd suggest a kowa spotter, about 2800 all in not incl tripod

in your current category, I'd mention a zen ray prime HD scope, IMO it edges out the vortex and gets stronger reviews...about 1300 shipped plus tripod

if you want some very technical reviews and "qualified" opinions, research the birding forums

noth615
03-20-2015, 09:56 AM
yeah I agree with the Razor,, but

I also like the zen-ray but I cant seem to find it in a 65mm objective, and 80mm I think might be to heavy for my style hunting, are they the same company as Vortex ? ( they look very similar)

I think another great option is the Meopta S1 75 (seems to be in my price range.) Has any one had any experience with Meopta ?

decker9
03-20-2015, 10:01 AM
Another to consider is the pentax Ed65. Iv never compared it to others, but it's small and light, very back packable. If your around town one day give me a call and you can test it out and see what you think.

allan
03-20-2015, 10:08 AM
Keep your eyes open for used.
I paid 1500 for a mint Swarovski ATS 65 HD. There is a site called "archery talk"? That has a huge group of followers and the used optic section deals can be had as guys buy expensive gear for one trip then sell it.

noth615
03-20-2015, 10:21 AM
Thanks ! I will give it a look for sure!

I bought a viper scope for my rifle the other day and I had wished that I took your advice on the viper binoculars over the talons , because the glass on that scope is a noticeable difference compared to my binos .

teelt
03-20-2015, 11:49 AM
I have a vortex razor HD 20x60 x85mm for work and it's nice. Very heavy though. Personal I saved and bought the swaro ATS 25x50w x65mm and it's unbelievable. Size is awesome and it doesn't weigh much. The lens is the wide angle and the fov is outstanding. Highly recommend saving up and buying something you'll buy once.

noth615
03-20-2015, 04:10 PM
I do own a pair of swaro binoculars and enjoy their amazing glass, but I feel at a certain point the difference between some mid range spotting scopes and high end glass becomes some what of a luxury. Unless I can find one of those scopes used, then I will just have to deal with the level of practicability of mid range that I can afford.

Fred1
03-20-2015, 04:21 PM
Keep your eyes open for used.
I paid 1500 for a mint Swarovski ATS 65 HD. There is a site called "archery talk"? That has a huge group of followers and the used optic section deals can be had as guys buy expensive gear for one trip then sell it.

Yes! a couple months ago I scored a Swaro STS 65 HD and soft case for $1200 shipped, off Craigs list - thing looks brand new not a mark on it. Don't hurry your purchase, look around while you have time. If you cant find a deal you can buy a new one the day before your hunt.

.264winmag
03-20-2015, 04:38 PM
I have the non-hd Leupold 12-40x60 GR. Works great for me. I just don't look through higher end glass so I don't know what I'm missing out on lol. Only beef I have with the leu is the rubber eyecup is torn where it hinges during fold up.

noth615
03-20-2015, 05:55 PM
According to an article from Eastman's hunting Journal the Leupold GR HD model edged out the Vortex Razor, and was on par with the Zeiss Dialyt, and Swarovski ATX

I am not sure the difference is noticeable between the HD models and Non HD, or if how The vortex viper compares to the no HD Leupolds?