PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried Bear Bomb?

Ohwildwon
03-19-2015, 11:48 PM
Anyone tried Bear Bomb or smoke sticks for Black Bear?
And, did it work?
Tried old threads, didn't find anything...

The Dawg
03-19-2015, 11:48 PM
Probably would fall under baiting....

itsy bitsy xj
03-20-2015, 12:54 AM
Probably would fall under baiting....

Thats what I was thinking too

604redneck
03-20-2015, 03:56 AM
I wa told by a local co its not a bait. He called it a scent attractant and said u are good to use it. In my opinion call ur local co and get it in writing before using it

bc_buckshot
03-20-2015, 06:34 AM
I would think bear bomb or scent stick would be considered a attractant not bait. You can nessasary eat attractant but you can with bait. Either way i would never use it for the fact i dont think you need to with bears. Bears are one of the easiest animal to pattern unlike deer or elk. Especially in early season, if you know what to look for and if you spot a bear in a area in the morning, almost guarantee he will be there in the afternoon. End of the day no matter what you use if yoy dont know how to play the wind even an attractant wont help

boxhitch
03-20-2015, 07:06 AM
Just like fishing , there are baits and there are lures

steel_ram
03-20-2015, 07:26 AM
In fresh water fishing scents are considered bait. Same enforcement officers.

monasheemountainman
03-20-2015, 07:42 AM
Bears are everywhere what would you do put a can out and sit there and watch it? Just cover ground find their food source find their sign and find the bear.

caddisguy
03-20-2015, 08:27 AM
Definition of bait from the synopsis:

Bait - means anything, including meat, cereals, cultivated crops, restrained animal or any manufactured product or material, that may attract wildlife and includes plastic or other imitation foods, but does not include a decoy as described under these regulations.

Since the bear bombs / scent sticks aren't a "decoy" and are a manufactured product to attract wildlife, I believe it would be considered bait. If you are able to get something in writing, that would provide some level of protection, but unless I am missing something I do think the law is pretty clear.

bc_buckshot
03-20-2015, 08:47 AM
Definition of bait from the synopsis:

Bait - means anything, including meat, cereals, cultivated crops, restrained animal or any manufactured product or material, that may attract wildlife and includes plastic or other imitation foods, but does not include a decoy as described under these regulations.

Since the bear bombs / scent sticks aren't a "decoy" and are a manufactured product to attract wildlife, I believe it would be considered bait. If you are able to get something in writing, that would provide some level of protection, but unless I am missing something I do think the law is pretty clear.

This i totally agree.....hence why hunting stores have a sign right above the bear bombs and sticks saying " Baiting bears are illegal and to check with the local regs".....

boxhitch
03-20-2015, 08:54 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?83064-Wildlife-Act-Attracting-dangerous-wildlife

but the real question is do the bear bombs attract bears or not

or do they just attract hunters

sawmill
03-20-2015, 09:12 AM
I have heard of guys burning off a pan of bacon and it worked well. In Alta. I imagine a scent stick could work.