PDA

View Full Version : First Post and some nooby questions

gmachine19
03-17-2015, 05:41 PM
Hey all!

This year I finally decided to take my PAL and RPAL. Sent in my application 2 weeks ago and the wait is killing me already. So I guess I'll spend more time lurking here 'till then :).

I'm going to have a Marlin 30-30 as soon as I get my license courtesy of my old friend. I'm pretty set on buying a 7mm rem mag rifle. But the thing is, there's so many to choose from!
Kinda leaning on the Tikka t3 at the moment.

So here are the questions,

1) Should I get a stainless barrel or blued?

2) What other rifles should I look at?

3) Is a 7mm rem mag a good all around cal? or should I look at a different cal?

Planning on hunting some deer, black bear, elk, moose, boar (heard some rumors of where they might be!)

Also planning on getting a marlin 45-70 guide gun and a Ruger 10/22. Shotguns don't appeal to me as much.

Thanks and happy hunting!

Steeleco
03-17-2015, 05:45 PM
I'd go for stainless in either the T3 or a Rem 700. But more importantly get the one that fits the best. It will make shooting far more fun and in the long run you a better shot.

Welcome and best of luck

FirePower
03-17-2015, 07:01 PM
This comes up on a regular basis lad, no none can tell you what rifle to buy, go to the sports shop and shoulder them all one will jump out and say I am for you. Then try to find some one who has one and shoot it, only then will you truely know which rifle to buy. As for calibre, I would suggest the blase' old 30-06. I like many others, feel this is the best all around chambering out there and is adiquite for everything in B.C. including the bison and grizzly bear. Ammunition is available literally everywhere in a large range of bullet weights and at a very reasonable cost. In otherwords apart from the fact it does not have "magnum" in it's name ot is all one could ask for.

Tīɡ
03-17-2015, 08:51 PM
Can't go wrong with the 7mm rem mag! That's what I shoot, and as Steelco said a tikka t3 or remmy 700 are very good options. I personally own the 700 but you'd have to feel them out first. Stainless is also a better option for battling weather and a little less upkeep than blued, something to keep in mind.

HarryToolips
03-17-2015, 09:26 PM
This comes up on a regular basis lad, no none can tell you what rifle to buy, go to the sports shop and shoulder them all one will jump out and say I am for you. Then try to find some one who has one and shoot it, only then will you truely know which rifle to buy. As for calibre, I would suggest the blase' old 30-06. I like many others, feel this is the best all around chambering out there and is adiquite for everything in B.C. including the bison and grizzly bear. Ammunition is available literally everywhere in a large range of bullet weights and at a very reasonable cost. In otherwords apart from the fact it does not have "magnum" in it's name ot is all one could ask for.
I agree......

warnniklz
03-17-2015, 10:53 PM
So far your best bet is a Sako 85 stainless synthetic with a Leupold VX3 in a 3.5-10x40 with an undetermined reticle

blackwater moose
03-18-2015, 08:04 AM
i've shot a 7 mm rem mag for 25 years , haven't had an animal walk away from me yet

Foxton Gundogs
03-18-2015, 08:16 AM
I agree......

Right on, X3, I do not get how anyone can 'recommend' any certain rifle to someone else. I have been shooting for to many years to want to count I would not give you 2 cents for a Sako, Tika, Remington or Browning bolt gun they don't fit, and I can't shoot them worth spit. Does this mean they are 'bad' rifles, not at all, it simply means they don't fit me. On the flip side, I love Model 70s, Weatherbys, BLRs and even the lowly Marlin X7. Does this mean they are great rifles or 'you' will love them, no they simply fit me. Definitely any experienced shooter can give recommendations based on quality and performance issues but not on which rifle another shooter, be they veteran or newbie, should run out and buy. The best advice anyone can giv another is shoulder as many rifles as possible and choose the one that fits you best.

Faw
03-19-2015, 01:05 PM
Hey gmachine19 how long have you waited for your pal? I mailed mine on Feb 17, and just yesterday it appeared online. Says it has completed initial processing, and that it was received Feb 23rd. That would put my mandatory 28 days at this coming Monday. We have a gun show here in Penticton on April 11th/12th and I was really hoping to have it by then lol. I only did my non-restricted though.

gmachine19
03-19-2015, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the sound advise guys. Looks like I'll be testing a lot of rifle when my PAL comes in. Should be fun!

@Faw: They have received my application on March 11 and they haven't even charged my CC yet :(. Makes me worried that I put in the wrong info or they may just be swamped.

Faw
03-19-2015, 07:16 PM
They haven't charged my CC yet either. Lol I check a couple of times a day. The anticipation is killing me. I want to go buy a gun and get it dialed in so bad!

BearStump
03-19-2015, 07:29 PM
Any mid calibre rifle would be fine for your first. I found that after using one rifle for a while, you learn what things that you like about it and what things you dont. Then when you buy your next rifle you take those things into account. This will probably happen a few times till you even know what you want out of your 'dream rifle'
But you definately need a 3-9x40 scope for your new rifle see link below, just sayin'.............

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?116084-B-amp-L-Elite-3000-3-9x40

gmachine19
03-19-2015, 08:04 PM
Where do I even check the online status???

Would you count a 30-30 as a mid calibre rifle?

BearStump
03-19-2015, 08:36 PM
hmmmmm, maybe a lower mid calibre yes. a 30-30 is a good rifle, but will limit your range and although it is capable of taking a moose, I would prefer something with a little more punch if given the option.

all the above suggestions seem good. 7mm, 30-06, 270, 260, 280,308..........

Faw
03-19-2015, 09:03 PM
Check the status here: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/online_en-ligne/app_dem-eng.htm

Faw
03-19-2015, 09:04 PM
I want to get a 270. Something just seems sexy about it.

Fred1
03-19-2015, 09:26 PM
Ok partner... I shot an open sight 30-30 for 16 years... in 2006 I went to a 338 win mag cause the 300 was sold - I had to learn how to shoot all over again. It took some work. Don't get caught up with the magnums - not necessary unless you not confident with your penis... haha I see guys in camp all the time that bring magnums and howitzers cause they think it helps to "gun up" (this may only count with G bears... maybe...) but they really cant handle them and its painfully obvious. If I had to start again I'd go with a 30-06 and work into 300 win mag or 7mm - the latter as my range got longer. As of today I shoot a Ruger 338 win and a Tikka T3 270wsm. How I got to those, bla bla bla... The bottom line is find/try a caliber you can shoot bang on 95% of the time. Find a rifle that feels good to shoulder and fire. And by that I mean fire over and over. Practice practice practice! Magnums will not help you if you cant shoot them or handle them. Hunting is about the bullet going where you want it! Not about the big boom! Brag about the antlers not the caliber...

Edzzed
03-19-2015, 09:38 PM
I want to get a 270. Something just seems sexy about it.
For factory ammo costs, 30-06 for a .270 it is a reasonable cost for me. That is the caliber I own along with a .22 And I have never been able to drop any animal with it. Bear in mind I have also never pointed it at anything except a paper target. That will hopefully change this year. The reason I chose .270 is I read up on deer hunting and great calibers before I bought my rifle. I had planned on the 30-06 for ammo cost but the more I read, The more I added several calibers and did a process of eliminating them one by one. What convinced me was a .270 being a flatter trajectory and being a new target shooter I wanted something where I don't have to be a sniper changing dials and such. It is also why I chose the scope I did. I read a review and the scope was calibrated for a .270 round being the Bushnell Trophy DOA 4-12x40. Apparently scope makers do that. Anyhow it was like the two went together and all that was left is to find the best pricing. The scope has hash marks set to varying distances out to 600 yards. I also downloaded the strelok app.

wideopenthrottle
05-19-2015, 10:45 AM
Right on, X3, I do not get how anyone can 'recommend' any certain rifle to someone else. I have been shooting for to many years to want to count I would not give you 2 cents for a Sako, Tika, Remington or Browning bolt gun they don't fit, and I can't shoot them worth spit. Does this mean they are 'bad' rifles, not at all, it simply means they don't fit me. On the flip side, I love Model 70s, Weatherbys, BLRs and even the lowly Marlin X7. Does this mean they are great rifles or 'you' will love them, no they simply fit me. Definitely any experienced shooter can give recommendations based on quality and performance issues but not on which rifle another shooter, be they veteran or newbie, should run out and buy. The best advice anyone can giv another is shoulder as many rifles as possible and choose the one that fits you best.
I agree....I have two 30-06 one is a cheapy (Remington) that I bought after wrecking the scope on my good rifle while goat hunting...my good one is mid range (Winchester m 70 with engraved wood stock and stainless barrel) for me, they are night and day different to hold/shoot... cheapy for thick bush beating and m70 for sit and wait...I cant describe the difference other than to say that the m70 just feels right...PS the scope I had was a Bausch and Lomb...they were bought out by bushnells and when I sent my scope in for repair they said it was obsolete and sent me a bran new bushnell elite (~$400.00) for FREE (I think I had to pay 10 for shipping).. http://bushnell.com/global/customer-service/canadian-repair-services

wide

Foxton Gundogs
05-21-2015, 01:45 PM
I agree....I have two 30-06 one is a cheapy (Remington) that I bought after wrecking the scope on my good rifle while goat hunting...my good one is mid range (Winchester m 70 with engraved wood stock and stainless barrel) for me, they are night and day different to hold/shoot... cheapy for thick bush beating and m70 for sit and wait...I cant describe the difference other than to say that the m70 just feels right...PS the scope I had was a Bausch and Lomb...they were bought out by bushnells and when I sent my scope in for repair they said it was obsolete and sent me a bran new bushnell elite (~$400.00) for FREE (I think I had to pay 10 for shipping).. http://bushnell.com/global/customer-service/canadian-repair-services

wide

Now that sir is customer service and one of the reasons 75% of my rifles are topped with Bushnells. I had a Redfield 3-9 wide view. I even had the "LIFETIME" warrantee card, original box and receipt. The crosshair broke and I called Redfield to double check the shipping address as it was an older scope. I was told that since Leupold had bought out Redfield none of the socalled lifetime warrantees on the old Redfield scopes were valid. They as much as told me to take mu broken scope and stick it where etc. etc. Leupold/Redfield will never see another dime of my money again. Since that incident I have purchased 3 new mid-high end Bushnells and a Vortex Viper. What Leupold lost in profit from those 4 sales alone would have covered their cost on a replacement mid range Redfield and they would have kept me as a customer. Sure I get I would make no effect on their bottom line but there used to be something called goodwill, apparently some companies don't think about their customers and others go above and beyond..

MichelD
05-21-2015, 02:50 PM
If I can be a grumpy old grandfather for a minute (well, I qualify for the grandfather part anyway) the fact is that any modern, new or used hunting rifle will do the job. How many deer have been harvested in North America with a Winchester model 94 30-30? There are 7.5 million of them in existence. We all get fascinated by the hardware, and goodness knows I do too. I have decent hunting rifles already but a buddy just gave another and I'm like a kid with a new toy with it.

So listen to he advice of our colleagues here and make a decision, you don't need my opinion on that.

But if you want to hunt with that rifle, that's where a lot of thought and education has to come in. Learning outdoor craft and identifying areas likely to hold game and understanding animal behaviour and patterns are just as important as the hardware we use to do it.

wideopenthrottle
06-01-2015, 11:16 AM
Now that sir is customer service and one of the reasons 75% of my rifles are topped with Bushnells. I had a Redfield 3-9 wide view. I even had the "LIFETIME" warrantee card, original box and receipt. The crosshair broke and I called Redfield to double check the shipping address as it was an older scope. I was told that since Leupold had bought out Redfield none of the socalled lifetime warrantees on the old Redfield scopes were valid. They as much as told me to take mu broken scope and stick it where etc. etc. Leupold/Redfield will never see another dime of my money again. Since that incident I have purchased 3 new mid-high end Bushnells and a Vortex Viper. What Leupold lost in profit from those 4 sales alone would have covered their cost on a replacement mid range Redfield and they would have kept me as a customer. Sure I get I would make no effect on their bottom line but there used to be something called goodwill, apparently some companies don't think about their customers and others go above and beyond..
yes it totally blew me away when the new scope came I was expecting the old one back....