PDA

View Full Version : Grizz hunt in region 737

Groves
03-15-2015, 02:53 PM
I was fortunate enough to get a spring grizzly hunt 2015 but it is an alternate hunt for region 7-37 . I'm not turning down this opportunity and so would like some opinions on this area since I've never hunted there before. Insight on roads and rivers would be great

Trigger Happy
03-15-2015, 06:44 PM
I'm going up around there in April to scout it out, I drew in 7-38 and can send you pics of that entire area when I return :)

killman
03-15-2015, 07:34 PM
We have two in 7-41. Sounds like a party!

warren0427
03-15-2015, 07:36 PM
We have three in 37. Should be fun

Groves
03-15-2015, 08:25 PM
Can you spot from the lake ? What is the ospika river like ? I was thinking of heading up that way ?

Groves
03-15-2015, 08:28 PM
For sure trigger happy ... Let me know I'm not thinking of going till at least may

03-15-2015, 08:48 PM
Can you spot from the lake ? What is the ospika river like ? I was thinking of heading up that way ?

I dont know recently but some jets used to travel it, we got a hold of a Guide working the area who had a radio and called for help after a party of 3 got trapped in there by a massive log jam at the rivers mouth ....... They were flown out by chopper later.

Do your home work, even Williston lake has swallowed Tugs ...... can be a rough one !

Cordillera
03-15-2015, 09:01 PM
The ospika Rapids about ten km up can be run but are not for the faint of heart!

Thunder_1
03-18-2015, 07:36 PM
Sounds like a good adventure groves! Too bad our draws are spread all over northern bc

Groves
03-20-2015, 07:00 AM
Ya but to our fortune it just gives us reason to travel and experience all those places ��

alaska98
03-21-2015, 05:35 PM
Ya but to our fortune it just gives us reason to travel and experience all those places ��
Anybody can tell me how to drive to 737 ?

Daybreak
03-21-2015, 05:45 PM

You can't get there from here.

On a serious note, we have no idea where you are or where you are planning to travel from.

Rackmastr
03-21-2015, 07:04 PM

Up the Finlay FSR from Mackenzie along the west side of Williston Lake to Tsay Keh Dene, then south from there along the east side of Williston in 7-37.

alaska98
03-24-2015, 08:06 PM
You can't get there from here.

On a serious note, we have no idea where you are or where you are planning to travel from.
Thanks , I live in Surrey BC, have to drive to Prince George first. Have hunted in 737?

alaska98
03-24-2015, 08:23 PM
Up the Finlay FSR from Mackenzie along the west side of Williston Lake to Tsay Keh Dene, then south from there along the east side of Williston in 7-37.
Yes, That is the way only. My question is how are about the first nations there? Today I heard from one cowboy work in north farm, the First Nations there do not allow hunters driving into 737, they block the road.

alaska98
03-24-2015, 08:34 PM
Thanks , I live in Surrey BC, have to drive to Prince George first. Have hunted in 737?
I want to know the road status Up the Finlay FSR from Mackenzie along the west side of Williston Lake to Tsay Keh Dene,,if the way is clear? no any obstruction by first nations ?

moosinaround
03-24-2015, 10:24 PM
I want to know the road status Up the Finlay FSR from Mackenzie along the west side of Williston Lake to Tsay Keh Dene,,if the way is clear? no any obstruction by first nations ?
First Nations will be the least of your worries! Road reports are useless until the spring melt has happened. One good down pour up there and bridges can be gulped up in one shot! Worry about tires, fuel, food, and being absolutely self reliant! I have no draws up there, so I am not trying to scare ya, it is very remote! Have good gear, and carry a spare for the spare, on every piece of rolling stock you take with you! Tsey Key has fuel, but dont rely on it, take your own, and a medical facility, and a RCMP detachement. A satellite phone is a must, and have the search and rescue and helicopter, and RCMP numbers in the phone, or in the case with the phone. Have a two way radio with the road channels they use up there, you will be travelling about 400km of gravel roads, through many different resource users areas, so watch for industrial traffic, and local traffic as well. There are 2 reserves up there that are small towns, and the locals live all over the territory! It is beautiful country, there are LOTS of bears up there, and dont shoot the first black bear you see, they are big up there! Most grizz I have ever seen was up there, so good hunting! Moosin

alaska98
03-24-2015, 11:09 PM
First Nations will be the least of your worries! Road reports are useless until the spring melt has happened. One good down pour up there and bridges can be gulped up in one shot! Worry about tires, fuel, food, and being absolutely self reliant! I have no draws up there, so I am not trying to scare ya, it is very remote! Have good gear, and carry a spare for the spare, on every piece of rolling stock you take with you! Tsey Key has fuel, but dont rely on it, take your own, and a medical facility, and a RCMP detachement. A satellite phone is a must, and have the search and rescue and helicopter, and RCMP numbers in the phone, or in the case with the phone. Have a two way radio with the road channels they use up there, you will be travelling about 400km of gravel roads, through many different resource users areas, so watch for industrial traffic, and local traffic as well. There are 2 reserves up there that are small towns, and the locals live all over the territory! It is beautiful country, there are LOTS of bears up there, and dont shoot the first black bear you see, they are big up there! Most grizz I have ever seen was up there, so good hunting! Moosin
Thank you so much . It is a great answer at our worries. I have no much more questions now, and would be happy to go there in May.

alaska98
03-24-2015, 11:27 PM
By the way, In your opinion , what time is the best to go 737 in May ? this spring is so worm ,

alaska98
03-24-2015, 11:45 PM
One more question, where to refuel,to buy food near 737?

nap
03-25-2015, 05:40 AM

I agree with everything what Moosin said, but I have a question or 2 for you. Did you apply for this area or was it a substitute? If you applied for this area you should know a little about it, if not get as many maps as you can old and new, everything you have will help. Food wise, pack lots and fill one cooler just with ice, a big cooler, snow may disappear real quick. Last but not least have as much fun as you possibly can have!!!

swampthing
03-25-2015, 08:01 AM
Take everything you need to sustain yourself. A tidy tank is a must! I stomp around that general area and I take 3 full tanks of fuel. One to get in, one to hunt with and one to get out. Call the band up there. I talked to the chief once and he was very accommodating. He told me natives don't often hunt grizz but they always into them picking berries. He told me to come shoot one. He can probably give you snow level reports to. The natives do have a "hunter check program". I met a friendly native guy who was doing it up there. There is a note in the regs saying to check in with the office and the phone number is there.

BCHunterTV
03-25-2015, 09:21 AM
Hunter check program?

StuBrown
03-25-2015, 09:33 AM
Its on their website. http://tsaykeh.com/ (http://tsaykeh.com/)

swampthing
03-25-2015, 09:42 AM
I guess they like to monitor what is going on. They were all friendly and helpful.

Groves
03-25-2015, 07:57 PM
I was thinking of heading off from Finlay forks. Has anyone been there ? Camped or left truck there ? I'm wondering if I'll have any problems ?

moosinaround
03-25-2015, 08:00 PM
Your gonna cross the Peace Arm and head in to the south end of the MU?

moosinaround
03-25-2015, 08:04 PM
Lost Cabin Creek I believe is the only FSR that way, south of the Ospika? I havent been up that way for a while, but I was unaware that 7-37 was south of the Peace Arm? Moosin

moosinaround
03-25-2015, 08:07 PM
I guess they like to monitor what is going on. They were all friendly and helpful.
When I worked up that way I asked for approved camping sites for my bush camps. An elder pointed me into spots that were not "special" to the local folks. I never had an issue in the 3 years I worked up there. I bumped into Berry pickers, Brushing crews, Loggers, and even a fellow hitch hiking to his uncles in the pouring rain, strange to see on a remote logging road!!! Moosin

Groves
03-25-2015, 08:36 PM
I was gonna drive the parsnip forest road and cross the peace arm .. I got the grizz hunt as an alternate hunt and have never been there ? I've lived in PG all my life but never thought to go so far hunting when it's in my backyard . I'm I crazy or does that sound like a good idea ?

Groves
03-25-2015, 08:38 PM
Looks like I should be able to do some glassing from the lake ? If anything I'll get to fish and enjoy the views . Might try some of the rivers as well

hunteryad
07-16-2015, 03:32 PM
I have a fall grizz draw in 738, please keep me updated about the area! thanks:)