PDA

View Full Version : Proper method of mounting a scope.

Paulyman
03-15-2015, 02:27 PM
As long as I've been mounting scopes on my rifles I have just installed the scope in the most comfortable position, leveled the reticle by eye and tightened it down, that's just what I was shown and what I've done.

My question is how do you guys mount your scopes, is there a proper way to do it that will ensure the scope is rock solid on the rifle? And how do you level the reticle?

Apolonius
03-15-2015, 02:43 PM
Always use the two small levels.One in the receiver and one on top of the scope.That way you know both are level.Figure out the distance that is comfortable for you from the scope to your eye when you are holding your gun and you are doing good.(practice lifting the gun,to shooting position, with the scope on and you should have a clear picture).Have a boresighter and you can always adjust it to your own liking.As everyones line of sight is different,because of facial features.

Beaverhunter
03-15-2015, 04:10 PM
Lots of good videos on you tube.

Wentrot
03-15-2015, 04:20 PM
As long as I've been mounting scopes on my rifles I have just installed the scope in the most comfortable position, leveled the reticle by eye and tightened it down, that's just what I was shown and what I've done.

My question is how do you guys mount your scopes, is there a proper way to do it that will ensure the scope is rock solid on the rifle? And how do you level the reticle?

Thats also all I do......simple and it works, which is what matters.

swampthing
03-15-2015, 04:58 PM
I mounted plenty in the past with no problem. A few years back I bought a wheeler scope mounting system. After using it for awhile now I am amazed at how out of whack some mounts will be after just bolting them on. I now adjust and lap in all my rings to ensure they are on straight. Never get ring marks on your scope either.

Apolonius
03-15-2015, 06:45 PM
^^^^good advice.I do too.

todbartell
03-15-2015, 08:10 PM
I've mounted about 2000 scopes in the last 9 years. the use of levels help but often the rear and front base aren't the same , so which is level? As long as the reticle appears level to the world all is good, some guys cant the rifles when shouldering and this won't effect adjustments or accuracy. Make sure to check bolt travel and handle clearance before tightening everything as a long screw will lock the bolt and the bolt handle hitting the eyepiece won't work either

use a torque wrench and use no more than 25 in lbs on a common #6 screw