PDA

View Full Version : Blunts

tailgate77
04-06-2007, 08:56 AM
I was thinking about picking up some rubber blunts to do some stumpshooting. Are they capable of killing small game like rabbits and grouse. I know where some decent places for hunting bunnies are and would like to take a few of those varmints out of the woods. I don't want to be shooting broadheads at them because I am sure I will hit a few rock that will destroy them. I would assume that grouse are the biggest birds one would want to shoot at with blunts? Broadheads seem like over kill. Some experienced advice would be great.

Bow Walker
04-06-2007, 09:19 AM
I use a field point with an Adder head behind it. Flies great, kills easily, and doesn't cause bruising in the meat like a blunt will. I'll try to post a pic if you like.

bsa30-06
04-06-2007, 09:21 AM
I use a field point with an Adder head behind it. Flies great, kills easily, and doesn't cause bruising in the meat like a blunt will. I'll try to post a pic if you like.

please post a picture, i would like to see it.

dave_fras
04-06-2007, 09:29 AM
if im shooting rabbits on the farm i always use judos..... we only take the head shots... and its much easier to find your arrow if u miss

tailgate77
04-06-2007, 09:43 AM
I am mostly interested in shooting stumps and trees, and I heard that judos can be a bit fragile and not to easy to pull out. I might be wrong?

Bow Walker
04-06-2007, 09:58 AM
please post a picture, i would like to see it.
Here ya go - for what it's worth:?: .............
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Apr_05_2007_001.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4820&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=529)

Tinney
04-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Blunts work good on any small game. The biggest assest is that you won't be losing as many arrows on a pass through using an adder. Blunts rarely ever pass through.

tailgate77
04-06-2007, 10:20 AM
I've seen those adders in Cabelas. Do they just sit behind the point or do they screw on somehow?

Bow Walker
04-06-2007, 08:21 PM
There is a hole in them that the field tip goes through and screws into the insert as usual, thus sercuring the adder head.

Elkhound
04-07-2007, 10:41 AM
interesting idea

Rainwater
04-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Shot lots of small game with my bow and now always use a two blade old broadhead that can be sharpened easily with a file. Very little meat waste and usually a good kill. Judos never worked that well for me or blunts. IMHO

Tinney
04-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Can be lots of meat damage with an adder :| No question about their lethality however

Bow Walker
04-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Small game demand head/neck shots IMHO. Hopefully with little or no meat loss.

tailgate77
04-15-2007, 06:35 AM
So I picked up some "Bunny Busters" yesterday. They are from 3 rivers archery, and I am a little confused about them. They feel really light to me. On the website they say they are 120 grains, but they don't feel nearly that heavy. I shoot 125 grain points. I got the red ones, for carbon shafts. All you have to do is slide them one, I would assume a bare shaft, but they don't seem heavy enough. Anyone have any experience with them. I am going out this afternoon to shoot some logs and stumps. I will post results later.

Bow Walker
04-15-2007, 06:43 AM
I use either the adder 'add-ons' or the screw in blunts, and so haven't any experience with the slip on kind. First thought though is.....be careful they don't slip off and stay in a rotten stump.

tailgate77
04-15-2007, 06:50 AM
Yeah they were cheap, only $2 each, I am going to look for some screw in types. I know Walmart had some at hunting season, but don't now. Where do you get them from.

tailgate77
04-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Well I destroyed the blunts. I tried one with a point and one with a bare arrow, and I liked the weight of the heavier one. Was great shooting at a milk jug that I was tossing around, but when I hit a stump the point came right out of the blunt. Now I have three arrows with these blunts stuck on them. I guess I will cut them out with a knife. I sure was fun while it lasted. Destroyed the milk jug. I also can believe how strong these PSE arrows are. I put them through a bunch of shit and abuse today. One arrow missed the milk jug and bounced about 75 yards away and didn't even faze it. Very good shaft, I would recommend them to anyone.

30-06
04-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Here ya go - for what it's worth:?: .............
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Apr_05_2007_001.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4820&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=529)

that looks nasty ..could do some damage..they make some deadly looking arrow heads eh.

Bow Walker
04-15-2007, 05:11 PM
Those Adders are pretty sharp to.

t.g.77.....I know that you know - but - it bears repeating...........Don't forget to check those arrows over very carefully. Grab them by the ends and flex them about 3 - 4 inches whie listening for any "crackling" sounds, which would indicat some damaged or broken fibers.

tailgate77
04-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the reminder. I can't use them anyways until I get those busted blunt off of them.

pupper
04-15-2007, 07:10 PM
I tried these muzzy 4 prong spring thingies that would get screwed on by the field point. Kinda like a judo point except cheaper.

I like how judos work

tailgate77
04-27-2007, 07:26 AM
I did some "milk jug" shooting. I go to the village park, toss out a milk jug and shoot it. Then I go and pick up my arrows and the ones I missed with usually go about 30 yards so I shoot from there. The grass is great because it slows the arrows down and it doesn't damage the vanes. Its pretty good sport. I read about milk jugs in a book I borrowed from the library. Second shot I took the cap off at 20 yards. I hope I can do that on the FIRST shot at a grouses head. I did find that my bow arm is getting sore, in the forearm. My drawing arm is fine. Is this just the need for muscle conditioning or am I doing something wrong? Its not the first time I have felt this.

Bow Walker
04-27-2007, 04:40 PM
.....I did find that my bow arm is getting sore, in the forearm. My drawing arm is fine. Is this just the need for muscle conditioning or am I doing something wrong? Its not the first time I have felt this.
Are you squeezing the bow grip? If you're shooting the caps off milk jugs it doesn't sound like you're torquing the bow, but a sore forearm on the bow hand/arm would seem to indicate that.

Unless you are twisting your wrist a bit - maybe to get your inside forearm out of the way of the string? Been slapped there lately?