PDA

View Full Version : Very little wildlife in region 5-01

gutpile
03-14-2015, 04:20 PM
Last year i drew a moose tag in region 5-01 and i tell you
that was a complete waste of time there.
i was there almost 2 weeks. I saw only 3 cows and 4 whitetail
2 or 3 muley does .
I have to ask myself why the goverment would issue tags for moose in that area .
I met other hunters in that area and they said the same thing no moose , no deer
and not even blackbears.
I talked with one person who said he had a tag in 5-01 and he said he found a pile of small imature moose
antlers a pile of 43 antlers near a lake .
He also said there were a group of people that were charged with poaching , he also mention
that there were 2 simi trucks full of game meat that the cos sized.
I don't know how true this story is , but it makes a lot of sense to me for lack of game i saw !

rgn5hunt
03-14-2015, 05:06 PM
I only talked to one guy that had a group hunt in 5. 01. He had been scouting 1 weekend in August and was excited and waiting for opening day. I know he saw 6 bulls during the scouting.

Liveforthehunt
03-14-2015, 05:19 PM
It just happens like that sometimes .... the animals are there lol I have been to places where we see only 3 moose in 2 weeks and the next year over 100. Too many factors to assume that poaching was happening do you have a pic of the antlers? Guys Can be soo full of it in the bush. I just shake my head.

gutpile
03-14-2015, 05:24 PM
No pictures but you know what , no moose tracks not even old so i don't know !

Apolonius
03-14-2015, 05:29 PM
I was up there oct 3,4,5 and seen a few.did not have a tag.Truth is there is poaching everywhere.Not much game is left there as access has increased and with all the moonscapes thanks to clearcutting ,the animals are defenceles.Time to change the way we do things.On all fronts.

Big Hoss
03-14-2015, 05:31 PM
Some of my family had group draw there for beginning of October. I went up to help out do to some been new hunters. Didn't see a lot of moose bit filled one of the tags seen an other bull but it wasn't enough shooting light. Although there wasn't many moose seen I felt they where around just deep in the bush. Had a couple different Bulls comeing to my calls one morning but couldn't get them to step out before a coupl quads came threw the area and all I heard was the thumping of hooves and crashing of bush. What area were you in

NaStY
03-14-2015, 05:39 PM
We hunted 5 last year looking for deer. The area we shot a few moose had LOTS of wolf tracks. Was hoping to get up there again and do some dog hunting but not alot of time these days.

tracker
03-14-2015, 05:39 PM
I was there around oct 15 , never seen a moose in 5 days of hunting hard. But we did have the odd track cross the trail.. Expected more that's for sure. This was all on the north east side of 501..

gutpile
03-14-2015, 05:42 PM
North of pressy lake, flying u ranch , green lake, cannim lake i thank ?
Mile 86

Big Hoss
03-14-2015, 05:44 PM
Lots of wolfs in that area now. Never saw them but every time I started cow calling wolves would start howling. Ran into a fella that said a pack had some beef cows surrounded in a thick swamp down the end of Doman rd. He did what he could to spook them away but it was getting pretty dark and he had to hike out

Big Hoss
03-14-2015, 05:52 PM
Lots of moose in that area still. Have a buddy with a cabin at Pressy and hunts that end of 5-01 a lot sees moose in the watch/ green lake area all the time just have to know where they hang out. We usually hunt more of the northern end of the MU because of our cabin location but my sister got her bull down by watch last year

CaribooBC
03-14-2015, 09:48 PM
Lots of Wolves and we have had quite a few bad tick years in the last few years so the Moose population is down. There are still some here but you have to hunt harder and smarter to get one.

Liveforthehunt
03-14-2015, 09:54 PM
Lots of Wolves and we have had quite a few bad tick years in the last few years so the Moose population is down. There are still some here but you have to hunt harder and smarter to get one.

Ticks are starting to take a toll on 7b moose as well unfortunately the only region moose pops haven't been declining until now :(

mokele mbembe
03-15-2015, 02:40 AM
Spent a week in there in 2013, seen some cows, no bull, got a nice bear. Lots of wolf tracks, that's right. Deer were few and very very spooky