PDA

View Full Version : New Hunter with many questions

stro52
03-14-2015, 02:31 PM
Hello all! New hunter here, have just finished up my core course and am now looking to outfit myself for the hunting season. I have been lurking on here for awhile but now have some questions about gear. All I really have is a good pair of boots and basic hiking/camping gear. I think my boots are the only thing I could be using for hunting so....

Packs: I have been doing a bunch of research on different companies; tenzing, mystery ranch, and stone glacier to name a few. I then realized that I have no idea what I need to be looking for in a pack having never been hunting before. I think to first start I would be doing weekend, or perhaps 4 day hunts so I don't think I would need those big 7200 packs I see people are using for 10 hunts. That might be naive on my part but just humor me. So what would be a good pack for a 4 day hunt that would also be good for packing out meat?

Optics: Binoculars, spotting scopes or both? Pretty sure I would need at least a binocular, and I see that Vortex are a good line of optics but again which one and why? Whats the difference between lets say a diamondback and a talon?

Body Wear: I see brands like Sitka and Kuiu (by the way how does one pronounce that?) thrown around. I even see that under armor has a hunting line but I have no clue where to start with this stuff. Some advertise scent control others don't so is it that important/functional? Does camo actually work? In my core course we learned most ungulates have poor eyesight so whats the point of camo?

Finally what does everyone have in their packs that you would consider essential? Some form of fire starter seems obvious, maybe also a simple first aid kit, rope too but what else?

albravo2
03-14-2015, 02:48 PM
Welcome to the site.

I think you'll find this has been discussed a fair bit before but i find people are generally pretty keen to share their favorite things.

It would be helpful to know what you want to hunt and where you live. Off the top of my head, you absolutely need a decent rifle and scope and you need to shoot it enough to be accurate and comfortable. You need a good pair of boots and the best binoculars you can afford. Vortex is a great brand to start with. You also need decent rain gear. Most people on here started in jeans and an old flannel jacket but the Kuiu/Sitka stuff will make you feel very competent long before you actually are.

The stuff you have in your camping pack is mostly the same as the stuff that will be in your hunting pack but add some game bags, rubber gloves and various rope/webbing/straps to secure your load if you are lucky enough to shoot something.

Watch and re-watch youtube videos on processing animals. I thought I had a pretty good idea what I was doing until I actually faced a dead critter.

Have fun, spring bear is just around the corner!

SWD
03-14-2015, 02:50 PM
Day pack,water,food,fire starter, wood matches diped in paraffin (water proof) lighter,pack saw, buck 110 lockblade knife,nikon binocs,compass.space blanket.
Flagging tape.

Use your binocs,for glassing do not glass with rifle scope,until you are sure of your target (animal you are looking for)!
Safety first!

Iron Glove
03-14-2015, 02:57 PM
Add toilet paper and some baby wipes.
Eventually you'll have to crap in the woods and baby wipes feel soooooooo good after.

LupieHunter
03-14-2015, 03:07 PM
First aid kit should be mandatory as well, along with a few extra days worth of any prescription meds you take (if you have to take any) in case of an emergency.

john.b
03-14-2015, 03:16 PM
I just went through the same thing stro, I bought an alps backpack and a camelback the pack was about 100 and the camelback was about 50 for day. I personally use binos for hunting (I like vortex). Gear, I started off with under armour and really liked it but am slowly upgrading to Sitka, if you can stomach the price I find it much lighter and comfortable. In my day pack I keep water, rope, a lighter, extra pair of socks, power bars, cheap survival kit in a can, first aid kit, extra knice, game bags and toilet paper.

ducktoller
03-14-2015, 03:25 PM
immodium. tums/pepto, EXTRA TP/baby wipes. Trust me, as an mixed IBS sufferer, bad bowel movements can quickly ruin a trip/day for you and others.

Don't sweat the high tech gear. my bag is a MEC (kill me i know) 40-60L bag i had years ago. Electrical tape over the zipper tags can silence them well.

Paper copy of the regs and download the huntbuddy bc app (includes the regs in it).

Camo helps with predators, it also breaks up outlines, patterns do the same thing (such as plaid) for ungulates. A lot of the best gear just happens to come in camo, and it looks cool lol. Deer see UV saturated fabrics. Some fabrics and washes will reflect UV light (to a deer's eyes) shine a UV light on some clothes and youd be surprised.

First aid kit as other's mentioned.

To your questions re the diamondbacks, they are their "cheap" line but are more than good. Remember no matter how good an optic is it is only as good as it matches your eyes. What I mean is that I have a leoupold vx-1 on my rifle, and diamondback binos. The diamondback scope was a bit clearer than the vx-1 but it was easier to get my eye right (ie faster) with the vx-1. The binos however are very comfortable for me to look through.

Get out there and don't over think it except safety. I am starting spring number two and haven't killed more than a bird but every time out there is a success in that you learn more, how to walk quieter, notice more about blending into surroundings, can sit still longer haha. Maybe save some game cleaning videos to your phone.

Get a tire repair kit (plugs and reamer and such) and a small (ie cheap but reliable) mini compressor. Don't want a flat to ruin your day (again trust me), and save your spare for unfixable tire damage. Remember that parking on a frozen edge of a logging road can mean a truck sunk into the sides once it thaws out mid day!

My pack essentials are paracord, first aid kit, TP, medications for several days, extra space blanket, extra ammo, firestarter, extra knife, compass, map. Hoping to add a solar charger and a SPOT in the next year), extra layer of WARM clothes, regs, book, pen and paper, batteries, signalling mirror, axe/saw, small tarp (will replace with siltarp one day)
food lifestraw

Truck essentials are repair kit for tires, cooler and big tupperwares, tent/bag/pad, two tarps, food/drinks, jetboil and coffee, big container of water (enough for almost a week, have the space so why not), even more tp

Agent Orange
03-14-2015, 03:30 PM
I can't comment on the pack because I've never done an over night back pack hunt. As for the clothes, I have a set of under armour gear and I like it. Its nice and warm and silent. I couldn't fathom spending $450 on a jacket for some of the Sitka gear. I would gladly spend twice that on binoculars tho! I would highly recommend spending as much as you can on binoculars. I spent $300 on my first pair and regret not spending more. A GPS is nice to have in your pack, as is Flagging tape and a water proof fire starter. Good luck.

noth615
03-14-2015, 03:54 PM
One of the best day packs that I have been using is those 511 tactical day packs. I started using it in my military career, and its followed to my hunting adventures , Light, Durable ,Great price point and not camo witch I actually prefer in a pack .......

I have changed camo patterns twice and never need to change my bag :) http://www.511tactical.com/bags-packs/backpacks.html

stro52
03-14-2015, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Haha haven't even thought of toilet paper to be honest, seems like a simple thing you wouldn't forget. Lots of info here that I need to digest. Im planning on getting most of the gear throughout the year to make it easier on my wallet. Seems I should just bite the bullet and buy a good quality binocular now then. Agent Orange, like you I don't think I could bring myself to buy a $450 jacket right now, it just seems a little crazy. I should have mentioned that I live in Burnaby and do you guys ever head to wholesalesports? Is there selection good there? Where would be another place to go? I would prefer to be able to try things on as opposed to almost guessing with the sizing by buying online.

nature girl
03-14-2015, 04:52 PM
I would invest in a walking stick. Especially when you are sidehilling it has saved me a few times.
And good luck hunting this year.

Fred1
03-14-2015, 05:04 PM
Buy the best quality binos and or optics you can afford, get a bino harness too. Your binos are your number one tool! Build your gear up as you go. You will find what you like. I believe in buying gear, tools etc once! So buy the best you can afford. Outfit your day pack with as little as possible - but have what you need if you have to spend the night or two. Sitka and Kuiu (Q-you) is good stuff - I prefer Kuiu, but you definitely don't need to spend big $$ on gear. Browning makes decent stuff and much lower prices. Gear wont make you a hunter, time in the field will! So just get out there, put the boots to the ground and eyes to the glass and go do some learning! Enjoy it!

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-14-2015, 05:17 PM
Welcome Stro 52 . they first thing your doing Right is joining this site . i stumbled on it a few years ago and consider it a valuable resource of Information and iv been hunting since birth , When you think you know everything about Hunting ,thats when your going to fail .And as some of us know , thats when your going to be in the Hurt Locker ,both Physically , Emotionally ,Mentally and Financially .No need to be shy here . A lot of great and helpful people on Hunting B.C. Pour over the forums , ask questions . make some short and long term goals . fill both your deer tags this fall . Harvest a Whitetail and Mule deer successfully . thats the first step . everything else after that will fall into place .

Edge
03-15-2015, 08:48 AM
Add toilet paper and some baby wipes.
Eventually you'll have to crap in the woods and baby wipes feel soooooooo good after.

+1 have used them many different ways over the years

Edge
03-15-2015, 08:49 AM
Welcome. I may have missed this in your intro but are you hunting rifle or bow ? and what /where are you hunting is useful as well.
cheers
Edge

stro52
03-15-2015, 09:54 AM
Right I guess some info about me would be useful. I have been backpack camping once so very limited experience there but eager to do more. To start mule and white tail deer are going to be my primary targets. Having never been hunting I'm not sure as to where I will be hunting, Ive thought about heading north to around pemberton area, or east towards princeton as I have seen lots of deer there driving the crows nest. Going to have to do some scouting for sure, so which do you guys suggest I should start with first? Up near pemberton or out towards princeton? I'm still a little undecided about a rifle or bow simply because I have archery experience that began as a hobby and not with hunting in mind. My thinking is that since I already have my bow that bowhunting would be a natural move forward. Only thing that concerns me is I understand that bowhunting is going to be lot more difficult in terms of stalking prey having to get to 40 yards or less in order to be comfortable taking a shot. This would almost certainly be even tougher for a newbie like myself, but it does save me from having to spend that money on a rifle and ammo, and time practicing with it. I'm pretty good shooting my bow at the range, kinda eager to see how different it would be out in the field. Anyways lots of good info here guys, really appreciate it and please keep it coming.

HarryToolips
03-15-2015, 10:23 AM
Welcome to HBC, you can learn alot from this site...to answer your first questions: I myself having a military background am biased toward military gear, and for 3 to 4 day trips, I love my ruck-sack, fits comfortably, and has lots of straps for strappin on animal parts etc, plus lots of room in the main pack for pack outs etc..and for rain gear the army poncho works best for me, drap it over and your good to go, plus you can keep your weapon for the most part dry as well..all this can be picked up at an army surplus of course..for extra essentials ya fire starters are good, as are emergency blankets, electrolytes are good to carry, and for me, most importantly having a compass and knowing how to navigate, even knowing how to use the sun for navigation..if ya want more navigation tips, PM me..

As for hunting, I'm still a rookie myself compared to many on this site, but I prefer rifle hunting, and especially starting out rifles when taking an animal I find offer more forgiveness if you don't make the perfect shot..and if you go with bow hunting, you definitely need a range finder...and I find if you shoot an animal, and it doesn't drop instantly, LET IT DIE..don't chase it right away, adrenaline kicks in when they're chased and they will go a long time..resist the urge and wait 10 or 20 minutes and methodically follow the blood trail...

tuner
03-15-2015, 10:40 AM
You can purchase a starter rifle package for less than a quality bare bow will cost. The optics on these packages tend to be cheap, but for deer,where most shoots tend to be in the 100 yard range they are adequate,and it will dramatically improve your chances compared to a bow. The most important thing you need, is desire, and that can't be bought.

stro52
03-15-2015, 07:12 PM
So I have started to focus on optics as it seems it could be the most expensive piece of gear I get this year, might as well get the big dollar one out of the way I figure. Any opinions on Vortex Talon HD's?
http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/talon_hd_binoculars

Gonna be honest and say I know very little about optics in general, does spending more money translate into a better piece of equipment? I'll be doing more research into it but would like to hear from you guys

noth615
03-15-2015, 09:31 PM
I have the Talon's, go for the vipers there only 200 more ( I wish I had went with the viper's) the talons are made in china and have no serial number .. the vipers are usually made in japan, sometimes the Philippines, and that gives them a little more quality, I have a viper scope and the glass between the two is more than noticeable than you think for the price, I already sent my Talons back cause the culmination alignment is off giving me a headache.

I tried bow hunting for a year it can be frustrating and very difficult ,I have since switched to rifle hunting and I enjoy it a lot more.

I use a savage axis rifle combination that I picked up for cheap, in the last year I have already shot a moose and a black bear with it ....put a cheap little vortex crossfire scope, chambered 7mm08 and you could hunt just about anything with that setup.

Pick up the Book hoofed animals of British Columbia hand book .....too many guys spend too much time studying gear and not enough time studying the animals they're hunting..... that book and Google earth will help you pick your spots to be successful.

http://royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/publications/publication/hoofed-mammals-of-british-columbia/

avadad
03-15-2015, 11:26 PM
Joining this site is a good move on your part. Welcome, lot's of good folks on here! I recommend using merino wool as a base layer. Dries quickly and does not get stinky. A key point in being successful at hunting. A deers first line of defence is its nose…you can get canadian made merino wool tops for $20 at costco. Downfall of merino is that it is not very durable so don't spend the big bucks on it.

A new hunter that I mentored last year bought a Savage 111 package from cabella's for less than $600…I was blown away with how nice a rifle it is. I like to shoot a .270 as it has very manageable recoil and ammunition is readily available plus it offers excellent ballistics. I converted to Barnes ttsx copper bullets a couple of years ago, for hunting I won't use anything else unless I'm after wolves or coyotes. Federal's in the blue box are great for target shooting.

Pre season scouting is the key to having a successful hunting season…spend some time looking at google earth to help you figure out good spots and then go take a look. Pemberton is nice country but you will see more deer if you head east. Good luck, you'll learn something new every time you venture out.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-16-2015, 11:57 AM
I have a few newbie friends who have bought the tikka 30 06 . a great starter rifle .will last you years . affordable and reliable . i have shot it . i like it .

stro52
03-16-2015, 07:47 PM
Noth615 good call on that book, your right I should be studying my prey as well as preparing myself. Any other recommendations for books?

noth615
03-16-2015, 08:13 PM
Carnivores of British Columbia, written by David F Hatler, I have personally met this author, very intelligent guy.... he also wrote the most recent British Columbia & Alberta trapping manual.
http://www.amazon.ca/Carnivores-British-Columbia-David-Hatler/dp/0772658692

I subscribe to Eastman's hunting journal as well, it has some well written articles from time to time ....

JasonH
03-16-2015, 09:19 PM
For a comment on Wholesale Sports, I think their selection is good. I was out there today and their sales are very good right now, I'd recommend getting out there soon. Camo clothing is on for buy one get the next piece 50% off, which accounts for a good range of their gear. You'd find most, if not all, of the equipment that you need.

stro52
03-17-2015, 05:05 PM
Ok thanks for that, I will go check them out this week when I get a chance.

stro52
03-17-2015, 05:22 PM
Oh and question regarding binoculars. I now understand what the specifications of binoculars are (10x42 for eg.) but what are all your personal preferences when you guys are glassing in the field? Just wondering if the 8 or 10 times magnification is more handy. Ditto with the lens diameter.

albravo2
03-17-2015, 05:36 PM
Having spent a fair bit of time hunting both areas i would suggest starting further east.

The Pemberton area is tougher hiking but more importantly, it is tougher to get good long sight pictures. If you want to learn spot and stalk it is much harder to do when you can only see a few metres into the bush at a time.

Blacktail hunting is fun but mule deer hunting is easier. I think you'll see more deer as you head east.

I think starting with a bow is really adding unnecessary complexity. A rifle will give you a better chance at success but remember, they call it hunting, not shopping, so don't be surprised if it takes a couple seasons to put some venison in the freezer.

walks with deer
03-17-2015, 05:41 PM
Mule deer are easy to harvest province wide in first week of September take the week off work and get out there.
P's join gun club find a mentor will save a lot of grief.

stro52
03-17-2015, 06:24 PM
Ya I am starting to come around to getting myself a rifle, and joining a a gun club, gonna have to practice somewhere

Ratso
03-22-2015, 02:04 PM
Great advice above...I like hunting the hard way so I always carry a frame pack to get the first load out...the SPOT is a great idea...haven't had to use mine yet...but you never know when you or your hunting partner have a bad fall or worse. I'd add some sort of water purification in case you get stuck out in the woods for a while.