PDA

View Full Version : Planning A Hike

SuperNovan
03-14-2015, 02:15 PM
I posted the original on my dads account by mistake, sorry. Here's the one on MY account.

My name is Joshua, I'm 15. I love to hike around when I'm hunting but I can't stand fishing, I love fish but I just can't wait for them, I have the patients of, well, no one. Me and my dad get along great when we are outside but if you put us in four walls we fight like dogs, just like him and his dad.

Do you know the difference between a hunter and a fisherman? A hunter lies in wait. A fisherman waits and lies.

My dad put me in charge of finding somewhere that week could go on a hike, we would like to be out hiking for about a week, any thoughts of where we could go in the Okanagan area? And what we should bring. Much appreciated.

albravo2
03-14-2015, 02:25 PM
Welcome to the site. Good joke.

Area outside of Keremeos, think it is called Cathedral Lakes, might fit the bill. I've hunted near there but never done the big hike.

Are you planning to hunt/hike, or just hike?

dakoda62
03-14-2015, 02:40 PM
Buy the book "Okanagan trips and Trails" there close to 35 trails in the book with maps and points of interests.

SuperNovan
03-14-2015, 02:53 PM
I'm planning on doing it in the summer, so if i can get my hands on a small 22 that would be great and I would aso like a small backpack gun like a 12 gage for bear defense just in case.

goatdancer
03-14-2015, 07:07 PM

Area outside of Keremeos, think it is called Cathedral Lakes, might fit the bill. I've hunted near there but never done the big hike.

If you're looking for a great hike, the Cathedrals would be my choice too.

Liveforthehunt
03-14-2015, 07:34 PM
Cathedrals for sure beautiful up there haven't been out that way for 10 years but lots to see. Could make a good 4 day trio out of it do the loop

SuperNovan
03-14-2015, 08:08 PM
Thanks guys I appreciate the help, any suggestions on how to plan for this, eg what to bring. My dad has left this for me to plan as a learning experience, my dad is okay with me asking for help on this site he says you are a bunch of great and experienced guys.

ElectricDyck
03-14-2015, 10:07 PM
Are you new to backpacking? Stove, food, sleeping bag, tent, clothes....Maybe an overnighter first to test out your gear? Cathedrals sounds like a good choice, by noon you can be above the tree line and looking at the mountain tops, very scenic area in the okanagan....

SuperNovan
03-14-2015, 10:40 PM
Yes I am new to backpacking, but my dad isn't but he wants me to plan it as a learning experience, that's why I'm asking for help.

dakoda62
03-15-2015, 08:20 AM
Invest in a good pack if you don't already have one. Not the walmart type. If you are hiking high in the alpine water may be an issue.

wrenchhead
03-15-2015, 09:11 AM
Monashee park past cherryville is a beauty place, lots of opertunitys for days hike once up on top.

HarryToolips
03-15-2015, 10:29 AM

Cathedral lakes is a great spot...many other good spots, but most still have lots of snow..go low elevation, who knows, maybe you'll find an antler or two..

MB_Boy
03-15-2015, 10:58 AM
Thanks guys I appreciate the help, any suggestions on how to plan for this, eg what to bring. My dad has left this for me to plan as a learning experience, my dad is okay with me asking for help on this site he says you are a bunch of great and experienced guys.

Haha......nice delegating Dad!!! :wink:

Another vote for Cathedrals!

As for "what to bring"....there is a LOT of info on this site. Do some searching on sheep threads as there were some great "what to bring" threads which would be a great start as to what gear you'd need. Granted way more on a sheep hunt required but all the basics are in those threads; great way to start your research.

Have you made a list of what you DO have? Good clothing? Pack? Sleeping bag/mattress? Cooking gear? Compass? Various tools/knives/axe etc?

You can't expect us to do all the work now can ya? Hahaha......just havin' some fun. :razz: Also don't be afraid to use Google... https://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=what+gear+do+I+need+for+a+backpacking+trip&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGNI_en-GBCA509CA509&q=what+gear+do+I+need+for+a+backpacking+trip&gs_l=hp...0i22i30l5.0.0.0.8087...........0.eDBBD8g h64g

Sounds like a good trip with your Dad....I know my Dad and I were at odds periodically when I was growing up, but when we headed out into the bush hunting/camping/fishing....any differences just disappeared. :cool:

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
03-16-2015, 09:13 AM
Good on your dad! Also use the search engine on this site type in backpack gear list , find all the stuff you have and the stuff you need and start making your own list . Have fun

MB_Boy
03-17-2015, 10:25 AM
Hey SuperNovan....saw this and thought of this thread. Some more info for you. Although it is how to get your pack lightweight it may help in creating your gear list.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/master-class/2013/09/contents-lightweight-backcountry-pack?src=SOC&dom=fb

Lots of other little things you'll find you may want to add in and may find in some of the sheep threads I mentioned earlier. But little things like some zap straps can be great if you get in a pinch...they can be used in a lot of ways.

MB_Boy
04-09-2015, 09:01 AM
Hey Supernovan.....was watching Steve's video this morning and thought of this thread.

Not sure if you're still doing this hike as this thread kind of died but have a look at this. http://youtu.be/A3pe2qJs2Mk

Jagermeister
04-09-2015, 11:52 AM
Another vote for the Cathedrals. Or go the other side of the Ashnola and do Crater Mountain.

Jagermeister
04-09-2015, 12:11 PM
Just remember, elevation is going to get you into snow and don't forget to check the weather forecast. Plan acccordingly