PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 South Okanagan

Faw
03-12-2015, 10:56 PM
Just curious of people's general opinions on the area? In terms of the quality of hunting. Not talking about filling tags, but more about the terrain, how you stay in shape to hike the area? Do you highway hunt more, or park and hike in a ways? With the mild winter we've had, but varying elevation changes, is it hard to plan for a few days out? I'm new to hunting but not new to the area and I just want to start a general discussion. Maybe some of you have some good stories from Summerland and South?

tuner
03-12-2015, 11:19 PM
There is great hunting in the south okanagan, lots of different spicies as well. The terrain for the most part is conducive to hiking,or if you're not so inclined,there's no shortage of FSR to road hunt. If I lived there I would definitely make the most of the hunting season,opportunities abound, just need to get out and explore.

Faw
03-12-2015, 11:25 PM
ya I've got some pretty big plans lol. With a young family it's hard to manage time, let alone time for hunting. I'm trying to give myself the most "bang for my buck" (see what I did there?) when I do get to go out.
I picked up a backroads mapbook and plan on scouting some FSR's till the cow's come home, but I'm a bigger fan of parking and hiking in, but in the little bit of practice I've done it can be a real work out!!! If I'm short on time one weekend I might just bomb up to a spot I've found and hang out for the day.

Faw
03-12-2015, 11:28 PM
I should add I've been practicing my spotting on Campbell Mtn here in Penticton/ It's not legal to hunt there but I just wanted to get the feel. Been carrying a heavy pack and breaking in my boots for the fall season. We've been spotting mulies by the dozens and even stumbled on a few bighorns (within 20 yards actually scared the crap out of us as they stampeded by). Just trying to get as close as we can before they look at us lol.
Also the terrain on Campbell Mtn is not easy at all. If you train harder than your competition, the competition seems easier...right?

bc_buckshot
03-13-2015, 06:49 AM
Your actually in a prime spot for hunting if your in Pentecton. I would say a little jealous because all of Pentecton is prime area, then you a walk across from Kelowna, then an easy drive to Rock Creek. Right there both spots are your backdoors and you have options from both Mule, and whitetail. If you do your home work can score an elk. If you have a horseshoe can get Leh sheep ect... Best advise ya get yourself a map book and pick a mountian. Drive to the nearest road and let your boots do the work. Pack with water, dip in your mouth, binos on your eyes and i say you gotta go weekend scout and still make it home for dinner. If your just starting out, man your gonna get an eye opening when you settle down some good spots. Best of luck and take pics.

~ shot from the buck ~

Faw
03-13-2015, 08:31 AM
Ya man that's what I've been doing. It's incredible country. Just tryin' to follow tracks and find sheds for now!