PDA

View Full Version : Elk Hunting

kush
03-11-2015, 11:23 PM
I'm interested in Elk hunting, but have zero knowledge about it.

Can you give me some info, summary, resource links, or whatever you want to share about it?

Thx

todbartell
03-11-2015, 11:56 PM
After I started hunting elk, it screwed up my whole life. I live for it now. Love it!

Ferenc
03-12-2015, 03:19 AM
Good book to read... Elk and elk hunting by Hartt Wixom is a good read...welcome to the addiction !

moosinaround
03-12-2015, 04:38 AM
I spend a very large portion of my disposable income hunting elk! The rest goes to moose and deer! Moosin

J_T
03-12-2015, 06:22 AM
Where do you live and where would you like to hunt?

Backwoods
03-12-2015, 06:43 AM
Elk hunting videos can be a huge help, that's basically how I learned and getting out there scouting for elk and spending time practicing calls!! Then you'll be hooked when you have a bull elk screaming in your face 10 yards away!!! Good luck!!!

BiG Boar
03-12-2015, 06:51 AM
There are hundreds of books on elk hunting. Read as many as you can. Plan as many days in the field looking for them as you can.

kush
03-12-2015, 08:16 AM
Where do you live and where would you like to hunt?

I live in region2, lower mainalnd. I'd like to hunt as close to possible to home, so i think that means i'll be hunting southern BC

tangozulu
03-12-2015, 08:17 AM
I never actually started killing elk until I realized it was NOT rocket science. Take all the videos with a grain of sa,lt and if they were produced by a celebrity hunter u know they had private access and no competition.

03-12-2015, 08:43 AM
After I started hunting elk, it screwed up my whole life. I live for it now. Love it!

I agree, nothing compares to calling in a screaming bull elk. If I could only hunt one animal, it would be elk

J_T
03-12-2015, 09:03 AM
I live in region2, lower mainalnd. I'd like to hunt as close to possible to home, so i think that means i'll be hunting southern BC As others have suggested, elk hunting for 'some' reason, creates a connection on a deep primitive level. You need to be prepared to invest in the hunt. Will you hunt alone, or in a group? Rifle or bow? Will you be committing to a 1 week, 2 week hunt? Or hunting by the day when time allows?

Knowing the ground you want to hunt is important. Spending time in the area, prior to the season is important. Look for movement corridors, bedding and feeding areas. Think about how you want to approach the animal. Think of dominant winds. Wind is the key. Consider tree standing perhaps in an area close to the bedding area. Often, as elk move from feed to bed, they are hot, tired and not always paying as much attention as they should. Being in the right location obviously comes from knowing the area.

Elk seldom do the same thing twice in the same sequence. They will have their routes but it's very hard to anticipate them, and there is usually a lead cow that is totally alert moving first.

If you want to be on the ground and chase, then you are probably hunting during the rut. Elk bugle all the time so don't think just because their bugling they are in rut. But, what they do during the rut is take more risks than at other times. This opens opportunity for you.

You also need to think about extraction. Do you have a supporting team of guys that are prepared to haul heavy loads. Do you have a good packframe?

kush
03-12-2015, 08:51 PM
What are recommendations for a bugle, or are they basically all similar?

todbartell
03-12-2015, 08:58 PM
master the mouth diaphram call and you'll be set to make almost every elk vocalization and do it hands free. It takes practice so be patient and don't get discouraged if you sound like a wounded gerbil

also learn what different sounds mean, great info on http://www.elknut.com/