PDA

View Full Version : Hanwag Trapper Top GTX Boots

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-11-2015, 03:16 PM
Before we get to the price ,which i will share with you , let me just make on thing perfectly clear . HandCrafted in Germany . And you know the Germans . they know quality Craftsmanship . I just happen to be in Kamloops yesterday morning and went to Big Boot Inn .It was on my list to visit this store because i found out they had Hanwags . They have Asolo and Kenetreks too . i was almost going to try some Kenetreks on because i have never tryed any before , but i went for the Trapper top first . This isnt my first pair of Hanwags , I bought the Yukons a few years ago in Banff , but i sold them New because i felt they were too low cut for me . I needed a higher cut for solid ankle support , So i was excited to try the High Cut Trapper tops . Was helped by a knowledgeable helpful attendant . They had my size 10.5 . I brought a pair of medium weight smartwool socks. , my plan was to get some supergreen feet before i went to try on boots but didnt get around to it , Turns out they had superfeet but of course didnt have any green in my size .so we tryed orange . they were too tight made my toes push to the top of the boot.. So after removing the factory insoles and replacing them with the new Carbon slim Insoles. PERFECT . they felt better than i expected . like a glove. !. Walking around the store for a about 20 mins discussing cleaning and boot care , i HAD to have them . They dont have replacement laces tho which was a little disappointing , but when the time come i know the length and i will acquire some for spare. If your worried about Ankle roll like i am , theses are the boots for you .SO.. lets get down to it .Nothing quality is cheap in the Hunting world .WE know this .If i get the next 4-5 years of medium to heavy use with some proper care if figure its worth it . Sure maybe i could have saved a few bucks shopping around , But life is short .. The boots 525$ The tax 66.31$ The Carbon insoles were 50 % off.. 27.50$ .. The GRAND TOTAL.. 618.81$ .It only hurt for a Day ..

Ride Red
03-11-2015, 04:32 PM
Don't feel bad, you do get what you pay for. I'm happy with my Kenetrek's and like you, I need the ankle support too.

swampthing
03-11-2015, 05:10 PM
I wish you had of tried the kenetreks on so you could report which had better ankle support. I am thinkin bout some new boots and may go the kenetrek mountain guide to get even more support than the mountain extreems I have been running.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-11-2015, 05:33 PM
Well i kind of had my mind made up on Hanwags . And i know im going to love them . there a load off my mind . i have good boots ..and that all that matters to me .The fit with the Carbon Insoles sold me .

Rattler
03-11-2015, 09:18 PM
I have the trapper gtx boots and love them. Comfort is amazing right from day one. No break in period required. Feet stay dry all day in wet conditions. Excellent ankle support and I have lousy ankles!

iirc they were $475 from track n trail in Edmonton.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-11-2015, 09:29 PM
i went in there this summer and of course they didnt have any . talking about a 6 month wait .

bigwhiteys
03-11-2015, 09:57 PM
My Hanwag Trapper Tops have been good too me... I'm onto my second pair. I went with slightly larger 12.5 this time to allow me more room to play with insoles and sock combos. Still haven't found a sock to beat Thorlo though. I'm up for a new footbed this year... Too many years in Rugby boots on hard ground has caused issues with the balls of my feet and I need some extra cushion there.

The Hermit
03-12-2015, 03:13 PM
My Hanwag Trapper Tops have been good too me... I'm onto my second pair. I went with slightly larger 12.5 this time to allow me more room to play with insoles and sock combos. Still haven't found a sock to beat Thorlo though. I'm up for a new footbed this year... Too many years in Rugby boots on hard ground has caused issues with the balls of my feet and I need some extra cushion there.

Try the FirstLite merino socks... all the excellent qualities of merino and they provide a little extra cushioning. IMHO way better than Thorlo brand.

The Hermit
03-12-2015, 03:15 PM
I am in the market right now for new boots. Went to the HanWag site and they don't seem to list the "Trapper Tops"... Looks like the best boot for my uses might be the Alaska GTX - anyone have experience with them?

Ron.C
03-12-2015, 03:25 PM
Bill,

I bought the Alaska GTX last spring. Used them for dozens of training miles on the local mountains under heavy load, and a backpack goat hunt. Love Love Love them!!!!

bigwhiteys
03-12-2015, 03:31 PM
I am in the market right now for new boots. Went to the HanWag site and they don't seem to list the "Trapper Tops"... Looks like the best boot for my uses might be the Alaska GTX - anyone have experience with them?

The Alaska GTX is a good boot, quite a few on here wear them. I prefer the high top though for support and crossing creeks etc.

http://hanwagboot.com/collections/mens-hunting/products/trapper-top-gtx

I'll check out the FirstLite socks!

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-12-2015, 05:25 PM
you have to google the Trapper high top . i couldnt find them on the web site either . but like i said .if your worried about ankle support , try the trapper top first before you pull the trigger on the yukons or alaskans , you want to try both on before you buy that i can tell you . nice thing is, sounds Hanwags are becoming more avaible in western canada. .so i would hold out if i were you .

The Hermit
03-13-2015, 02:39 PM
Does anyone sell them in Victoria? I've tried IO, MEC (would only use for fit), and Robinsons no luck.

Ron.C
03-13-2015, 03:15 PM
Does anyone sell them in Victoria? I've tried IO, MEC (would only use for fit), and Robinsons no luck.

Bill,

Valhalla Pure Outiftters by Golftown in Langford had them last year when I was looking. After looking at the boots there, I ended up ordering from Track n Trail in Alberta. Great price compared to other vendors at the time, even after shipping costs. And good return policy too.

http://www.trackntrail.ca/index.html

VLD43
03-13-2015, 03:37 PM

Try Viberg Boots in Victoria. Thats where I bought my first pair of Trappers. If no luck there, Track & Trail as mentioned earlier. If you go on Hanwags site or Latherop & sons site, they give you pretty good details on how to accurately determine your foot size. Great boots

The Hermit
03-16-2015, 01:18 PM
Okay thanks Ron. I went into VPO and tried on the Trapper Tops and Alaska and I think I like the height of the Alaska better. I also tried on the Scarpa Mont Blanc and I think it will be the one I end up with ... they are bringing in a pair in my size for final fit. The Hanwags are really comfortable but are so flexible in forward lean even compared to my tired Asolo boots. The Scarps might be a bit too stiff... sigh I wish a guy could take them all out for a real hike first! LOL

I might also try on some Meindels as they seem to have boots in this class. And want to try on another pair of the ASOLOs with the Gortex before a final decision.

Ron.C
03-16-2015, 01:24 PM
Okay thanks Ron. I went into VPO and tried on the Trapper Tops and Alaska and I think I like the height of the Alaska better. I also tried on the Scarpa Mont Blanc and I think it will be the one I end up with ... they are bringing in a pair in my size for final fit. The Hanwags are really comfortable but are so flexible in forward lean even compared to my tired Asolo boots. The Scarps might be a bit too stiff... sigh I wish a guy could take them all out for a real hike first! LOL

I might also try on some Meindels as they seem to have boots in this class. And want to try on another pair of the ASOLOs with the Gortex before a final decision.

What size to you wear Bill?

Ferenc
03-16-2015, 01:35 PM
Are they sold anywhere around the lower mainland ... The high Trappers look good...or might have to check out Kamloops during the gunshow up there.

Rattler
03-16-2015, 07:40 PM
They have the Trapper GTX at Valhalla Pure in Nelson.

goinghunting
03-16-2015, 07:48 PM

How did those scarpa monte blancs fit? True to size, big, small?

Rhyno
03-16-2015, 07:51 PM
I tried the Alaska GTX on the other day, liked them better than the Lowa's. I have crappy ankles as well so I am going to go back and try on the trapper tops before I buy.

The Hermit
03-16-2015, 08:01 PM
Rhyno - Try on the Scarpa Mont Blanc = WAY more support.

GoingHunting - I am a 44.5 and they only had 44's too small by a tad, and the 45's which were too big by a tad so they are bringing in the 44.5 for me to try. Therefore, I think they are pretty close on sizing... wide toe box for sure.

goinghunting
03-16-2015, 08:14 PM
Rhyno - Try on the Scarpa Mont Blanc = WAY more support.

GoingHunting - I am a 44.5 and they only had 44's too small by a tad, and the 45's which were too big by a tad so they are bringing in the 44.5 for me to try. Therefore, I think they are pretty close on sizing... wide toe box for sure.

Thanks hermit, I ordered a set of the kuiu scarpas so hope they are similar to your monte blanc findings. Always hate buying boots that I havent tried on.

The Hermit
03-16-2015, 08:50 PM
Yeah the Kuiu boots are what got me looking for the Mont Blancs to try one thinking that they are essentially the same fit. Do you think the differences (not sure exactly what those differences are) justify the difference in price between the two ( considerring the huge exchange and added shipping expense)?

goinghunting
03-16-2015, 09:03 PM
Yeah the Kuiu boots are what got me looking for the Mont Blancs to try one thinking that they are essentially the same fit. Do you think the differences (not sure exactly what those differences are) justify the difference in price between the two ( considerring the huge exchange and added shipping expense)?

To he honest Im really not sure but did want a boot just slightly more flexable than the mt blanc for being a bit more of an all mtn boot. The mt blanc is fully crampon compatable and seems to be a fairly mountaineering specific boot. But maybe im just a sucker for kuiu's sale pitch?

The Hermit
03-17-2015, 10:26 AM
GoingHunting - I just spoke with a CS rep at Kuiu who told me that the biggest differences between the Grand Dru that they sell and the Mont Blanc are:

The Dru is not insulated whereas the Blanc is insulated;

The Dru does not have the upper gusset at the top of the Blanc;

The Dru accepts a different crampon style (semi).

Hummmm... so it sounds like both boots are similarly stiff which is good to know because for my uses and money the Blanc seems like the better bang for the buck considering the exchange rate is about 30% plus crazy shipping and duty costs.

All that said I'm still not decided between the HanWags and the ASOLO boots. Good luck.

goinghunting
03-17-2015, 06:32 PM
Thanks hermit, maybe I should have ordered the mt blanc instead. Now im kicking my butt, this is why I like to try boots on before buying.

bigwhiteys
03-17-2015, 07:17 PM
Thanks hermit, maybe I should have ordered the mt blanc instead. Now im kicking my butt, this is why I like to try boots on before buying.

Yes, it's tough buying this stuff online. Both sets of Hanwags I ordered had to be exchanged for different sizes. On one of the exchanges Canada customs noticed the origins of the boots were from Germany and dinged me like 25% duty, I was able to recover it after disputing it because it was an exchange. For me going a 1/2 size bigger seemed to be the ticket. It's left me a lot of room to play with socks and insoles. These boots are very lightly insulated so using them in the cold you'll want heavy socks or your toes will freeze and you'll want the room for that.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
03-17-2015, 07:29 PM
Backcountry in Fort St john has hanwag's and scarpa's , like them both but prefer the scarpa's the old liskims

The Hermit
03-19-2015, 10:48 AM
After trying on all the boots (except the KUIU see above) I decided the Mont Blancs are a little too stiff for the vast majority of the stuff I do. Decided to go with the Scarpa Kenesis Pro. http://www.scarpa.com/kinesis-pro-gtx

It was a hard choice between them and the HanWag Alaska. The Scarpa seems a tad stiffer and more sturdy but really either one of them would have been fine.

I also bought a new pair of SIDAS insoles... http://www.sidassport.com/nos-produits/quotidien/semelle-multi-245-2.html

I tried the Superfeet Greens and Carbons which were also good but the SIDAS seems to be perfect for my boot/foot.

I got the package at Robinsons Sporting Goods in Victoria for about $510 tax in.

Going to take them for a wee hike on Saturday...

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-22-2015, 05:37 PM
i looked over Scarpa for years , i wanted to get some. The problem was there too narrow of a boot for me and they never had my size or choice in models to try on . . i learned my lesson about ordering online and over the border already . im stoked to have the Hanwags . i cant wait to test them out . i have some pre-season hikes already planned out .i will report back a review as soon as i put some miles on them .

noth615
03-29-2015, 08:56 PM
Are you sure there called trapper top or maybe there the Tarta tops ? Cause I can't find them on the site ?

TSW
03-29-2015, 10:07 PM
I recently bought new boots as well. From what I found, the HanWag Trapper Top's ankle support didn't compare to the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. I tried on the HanWags a couple of times and just felt they weren't stiff enough. The Kenetrek's were great boots but a little out of my price range (@ $535+) and I didn't like the fact that they used their house brand "Windtex" instead of Gortex. It's probably as good, but only packs a one year warranty vs the lifetime warranty that backs the Gortex product. I ended up with the Scarpa Kinesis boot ($369+ tax) as well. I've been using Scarpa SL's for years and love them. I actually prefer the SL to the Kinesis still (very slightly stiffer and better fit for me) but I still bought the Kinesis for the Gortex aspect.

REMINGTON JIM
03-29-2015, 10:12 PM
Nothing wrong with spending $600.00 on GOOD boots to go hunting - look how much is spent on rifles - scopes - packs - sleeping bags- tents etc etc cost of trip Good boots are a VERY BIG IMPORTANT part of our gear ! :wink: jmo RJ

goinghunting
03-30-2015, 06:44 PM
I ended up following hermits advice and cancelling my kuiu scarpa order. Went with the scarpa mount blancs, we'll see how they work out?

Downwind
03-30-2015, 07:56 PM
Are you sure there called trapper top or maybe there the Tarta tops ? Cause I can't find them on the site ?

http://hanwagboot.com/products/trapper-top-gtx

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-30-2015, 08:26 PM
Have taken my Hanwag Trapper tops out for 2 small walks up the back road and the creek trail . they feel great . , but maybe they will be a little soft , hard to say at this point , but im sure i will make good use of them , im sure i made the right choice .

hunter fisher
03-30-2015, 09:48 PM
glad this thread is up and refreshed!

4 days ago i went to valhalla pure in abby and tried on the hanwag alaska gtx, the hanwag trapper top, and a pair of scarpas, can't remember which model

the alaska and the trapper top both felt like BUTTER! amazing soft and smooth on my feet. the scarpas felt good but with a much stiffer insole then i need, but would be great for someone climbing super steep terrain a lot

after wrestling with which pair of hanwags to get, i bought the alaskas. the trapper tops definitely had more support, but they were probably a little over kill for what i would be using them for.

I've put on about 10 miles on my new boots (with a 70 pound pack). first 5 miles there was a light pinching on my right foot. second 5 miles no pinching, but afterwards my little toe on both feet had a blister.

i can't remember where i read it but they say it takes 50 miles to really break them in.

i'll update this thread as i put more miles underneath them, I'm very confident that the small discomforts will work themselves out!

keoke
03-30-2015, 09:56 PM
i have trappers and they are a great boot, my trick for breaking them in is breaking in your feet. Easy for me cause i wear steel toes 8hrs a day at work The trappers feel like slippers.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-31-2015, 07:50 PM
The first walk i just used my smart wool meduim socks and the carbon superfeet insole , just a short 2 km . The second short hike , i used a Thin HH sock liner with the socks and insole , i dont think i will need it anymore . but i will have it handy . better to have it case i do get some hot spots .i will keep you all posted .

islandarcher
04-01-2015, 04:38 PM
I went with the Yukons last year. I was looking at the Alaskans, but didn't want the gortex liner. Love the leather liner of the Yukon, so very comfortable. The lacing system on the Hanwags is genius. I got mine at VPO in Abbotsford, great service, they really took the time to fit me. I tried on a lot of different boots with no pre-set idea of which one I was going to buy, but making the final decision based of fit and feel. I Didn't get a chance to put as many miles on them as I had wanted to last year, hope to make up for it this year.

scallywag
04-01-2015, 05:21 PM
I love my Alaska gtxs. Awesome boot

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
12-07-2015, 06:02 PM
UPDATE . Ok so i managed to put a few good hike and about 30 km on them . outstanding boots . very happy . fit like a glove . a little hot in one spot but that is always the case with me . so far . im very happy with them any questions ?

SR80
12-08-2015, 08:07 AM
I bought a pair of alaskan's last spring. They were my first hanwags, very comfortable and no break in for me either. I noticed some threads coming loose and a crack in one of the soles after our sheep hunt this yr. Ryan and big boot in took care of me, getting the alaskan's repaired under warranty and Ryan gave me a great deal on another pair of boots so I bought the trapper tops. These boots are awesome , no break in period with these boots either.

Wentrot
12-26-2015, 03:23 PM
Got myself a pair of trapper tops coming and was wondering what (if anything?) I should apply them with prior to using? Nikwax?

Thanks

Wentrot
12-29-2015, 06:27 PM
Anyone? Iv researched a good bit, lots of products out there but would like to hear first hand experience. Also seems most of the products will permanently alter the color, that true?

Salty
12-29-2015, 07:24 PM
I've used old fashioned plain old Dubbin on a lot of different boots since I was a kid. I've used snow seal, mink oil and a few others but keep coming back to Dubbin. The leather will get darker. Till it dries out again.

SR80
12-30-2015, 07:44 AM
If you got the gortex ones do not use snow seal. Apparently it plugs the pores and prevents xgortex.boots from being able to breath properly.

mooze
12-30-2015, 08:47 AM
you know how great a canadiana-german cooperation for a moose leather boot could be, with Hanwag or Meindl? All this excellent hide that goes into the ditch every fall. Anybody see a business opportunity there?

ajr5406
12-31-2015, 08:15 AM
Curious why you wouldn't buy from MEC? I've heard this more than a few times on HBC and interested why the anti-MEC sentiment?

GoatGuy
12-31-2015, 08:29 AM
Curious why you wouldn't buy from MEC? I've heard this more than a few times on HBC and interested why the anti-MEC sentiment?

MEC has been connected to anti-hunting and predator fundraising organizations such as raincoast, pacific wild, the humane society etc

ajr5406
12-31-2015, 08:31 AM
QUOTE=GoatGuy;1731267]MEC has been connected to anti-hunting and predator fundraising organizations such as raincoast, pacific wild, the humane society etc[/QUOTE]

I see... Didn't know that. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry to derail the thread!

GoatGuy
12-31-2015, 08:35 AM
Got a set of the alaskans last year. Decent boot but still don't like them as much as scarpas

RiverRunner
12-31-2015, 11:07 AM
Anyone? Iv researched a good bit, lots of products out there but would like to hear first hand experience. Also seems most of the products will permanently alter the color, that true?
I use Obenaufs LP on my Alaskans with Gtex. Obenaufs states that their product doesn't damage the Gtex.
If your boots are a nubuck finish, then yes the colour will darken. My boots are black full grained leather with a smoother finish, thus the colour was unaffected. My wifes Hanwag Alaskans are from the softer nubuck finish, and they did darken. Not that it matters…...

Wentrot
12-31-2015, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the info here and via pm fellas.

VLD43
12-31-2015, 02:13 PM
I have always used NIKWAX paste on my Hanwag Trapper Tops. Works great, and really doesn't discolor them . Good luck

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
12-31-2015, 04:44 PM
I have always used NIKWAX paste on my Hanwag Trapper Tops. Works great, and really doesn't discolor them . Good luck

There is some really good info on the Hanwag web site for boot care .Best i have found .

mddat
12-31-2015, 06:27 PM
Got a pair of Alaskan GTX in kamloops from big boot inn, seem to fit my foot much better than my Lowa tibet GTX did. Don't have enough Kilometres on them yet to give them an honest review but so far so good

VLD43
12-31-2015, 08:25 PM
There is some really good info on the Hanwag web site for boot care .Best i have found .
Thanks GTS. Looked at the Hanwag site, and it looks like I am doing it right. I use the NIKWAX waterproofing wax. It comes in a large toothpaste like tube, and is easy to through in your pack, for touchups when required. Hope you like your boots as much as I like mine

eastkoot
01-01-2016, 08:17 AM
Buying Hanwags, they are narrow so a size larger is a good idea. Government used to buy mine!!! There is an outlet in Edmonton for the best price...

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
01-01-2016, 07:16 PM
Thanks GTS. Looked at the Hanwag site, and it looks like I am doing it right. I use the NIKWAX waterproofing wax. It comes in a large toothpaste like tube, and is easy to through in your pack, for touchups when required. Hope you like your boots as much as I like mine

oh ya . i love them and there just going to get better . im sure i made the right choice.

Wentrot
01-07-2016, 04:31 PM
Took the new boots for a short hike today, never knew such a comfort level existed. I got some smart wool socks to try with em and don't think I'll ever go back to my usual cheap cotton socks.

knothead
01-07-2016, 06:49 PM
Ever heard the saying 'cotton kills' cotton is the worst fabric you can use in any kind of hiking/outdoor use, collects your sweat and hangs on to it for ya, once that happens you can't get dry or warm. Those smart wool are excellent socks, for cooler days I like the Patagonia heavy marino socks that come up to your knees, expensive but worth the money. Good luck with your new boots, when you spend the money on quality you can't go wrong.

okas
01-14-2016, 02:04 PM
i am a lucky guy . all ways worked hard heavy lifting up and down ladders and stairs . So pack a real gun even pack beer on a sheep hunt ha ha . Now for boots .I was spring grizz hunting bad weather my old sorells split sole :| . lucky i had a old pair of felts in the hunting trailer , yea old from when i worked on the drill floor in the Beaufort sea . Up the draw camped over night and down all good .
i am down with a shoulder rebuild so between Netflix and BC hunting i am burning time and enjoy reading this stuff :confused:

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
02-16-2016, 01:33 AM
I tried the Alaska GTX on the other day, liked them better than the Lowa's. I have crappy ankles as well so I am going to go back and try on the trapper tops before I buy.

i did the same thing . i had the Alaskan and i didnt trust it . felt wobbly . . now i have the trapper tops and i have no worries..

decker9
02-16-2016, 08:48 AM
I had to toss in the towel on my 2 year old lowa hunters last season due the the rubber peeling up on the toes. I jumped on the hanwag wagon a couple weeks ago now with a pair of Alaskans. I was in store trying boots on, I wish I would have known about the trapper tops before I bought tho, cause I do like the higher top boots. Iv already waxed them with the Mendel wax the store tossed in or I'd be looking at trading them back.

Gotta say tho, the boot feels pretty dang comfy for not even leaving the house yet with them.