PDA

View Full Version : A Story Behind This WT Buck..

hunter1947
03-11-2015, 07:36 AM
I thought I would tell the story on how my friend got this WT buck in the EK..

My friend had seen a decent WT buck earlier the day he shot this WT buck that I am holding up for a picture it started off with wipe out conditions as we pounded the different area looking for a decent buck for him to shoot.
We saw a few but not worth shooting still had some years to grow up he passed on theses bucks the morning did not produce any bucks worth the taking we went back to camp and started a fire had a drink of coffee talked about what was the next game plane.
The snow started to come down big time I said this is good time to go out for an evening hunt I have found out over the years hunting these beautiful animals that when it is stormy they move around so we got into his truck me and two others.

My other good friend was the driver I was in the back seat and my other friend that was looking for Mr big was in the passengers side we left camp at 3pm mountain time headed over to an area that we had seen decent bucks over the past years.

After about thirty min we got into this area where my friend was going to hunt on foot my friend that Was driving the truck stopped and was backing up to turn around I said what are you doing he said I am turning around to head out I said no don't turn around keep going this way my friend said why ??? I have never gone by here in the past I said from here on is where I have seen some decent bucks so he said ok then we will continue..

About five min latter the driver said big buck big buck get out and take him he is a good solid WT buck so the passenger got out loaded his gun the gun barked and the WT buck hit the ground long story short I felt really good on my call to say we have to go this way if I had not said anything my friend would not had got this nice WT buck it gross scored 141,5/8 my friends biggest WT buck to date he has only hunted for his third year last year.

Last year was his first deer he got it was a four inch spike WT buck he is getting this deer in the picture mounted I will post up the final when it is complete when he gets it back this fall ,,,congrats to my friend I am so proud of him getting this big WT buck wish him all the bgest in elk deer season this fall,,H-47..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Andrews_WT_Buck_From_2014.JPG

Glenny
03-11-2015, 07:39 AM
That's a honker!

digger dogger
03-11-2015, 07:59 AM
Nice rack Wayne, but are those whities sure are a ugly.
The whities my son and i killed last year are probably the best tasting deer we've shot.
I never really liked hunting w/t, but now i'll make an effort to hunt them.

monasheemountainman
03-11-2015, 08:49 AM
The whities my son and i killed last year are probably the best tasting deer we've shot.
ugly???? how are they ugly?

boilerroom
03-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the story Wayne! With all of the other "crap" going on in our hunting world it's nice to have a good hunt story to read!

Cheers,
BR

Timbow
03-11-2015, 09:55 AM
Nice looking buck. A quick question and this one may not apply to that buck. Does a whitetail buck in the peak of the rut get that rutting gamey taste with the meat? I never shot a WT but I have heard many guys say it's great table fare.

Thanks

ruger#1
03-11-2015, 11:00 AM
Nice picture Wayne. Glad to see your's and the deers tongue not hanging out.

ElliotMoose
03-11-2015, 11:57 AM
Thats a dandy buck! Congrats to the hunter. Love hunting them in those conditions

Liveforthehunt
03-11-2015, 12:13 PM

Lol you must not have much experience hunting in general??? Ugly... I don't understand and as said before... wt ' s are a bit tastier than muleys ... and they are smarter/skiddish anyone can kill a 160 muley but a 140 whitey for bc is fantastic great pic and story thx Wayne

fearnodeer
03-11-2015, 01:07 PM
Very nice congrats to all involved.

Dr.Nick
03-11-2015, 03:27 PM
Good story, great deer!

Buck
03-11-2015, 04:34 PM
Nice buck!! looks like good hunting conditions.

digger dogger
03-11-2015, 06:07 PM
Lol you must not have much experience hunting in general??? Ugly... I don't understand and as said before... wt ' s are a bit tastier than muleys ... and they are smarter/skiddish anyone can kill a 160 muley but a 140 whitey for bc is fantastic great pic and story thx Wayne

Haha, yup just started hunting last year.
As i said, white tails are ugly critters, compaired to a mulie or blk tail.
But thats my opinion.
So how many 160 mulies have u killed?

digger dogger
03-11-2015, 06:15 PM
ugly???? how are they ugly?

Elongated beak, skinny head, boring antler configuration.

Dont get me wrong, the rack is nice, but i just think a whitie, compared to a mule deer or blk tail, is ugly.

Just my opinion.

ruger#1
03-11-2015, 06:17 PM

Dont get me wrong, the rack is nice, but i just think a whitie, compared to a mule deer or blk tail, is ugly.

Just my opinion. Ha Ha, Ya Digger a few more years of hunting and it will change you.

Tīɡ
03-11-2015, 08:22 PM
Thanks for sharing! Nice to have this story to read in the off season.

mokele mbembe
03-11-2015, 09:57 PM

Just my opinion.
Come on! Wasn't Bamby a whitetail? ;)

hunter1947
03-12-2015, 05:50 AM
Regarding what you as a person thinks about a better looking deer everyone has that choice on what they like my story is not regarding what you think about what looks nice between the two different species the thread is about this young man that took this fine WT deer lets keep this thread respective,,thanks H-47..

hunter1947
03-12-2015, 06:00 AM
Nice looking buck. A quick question and this one may not apply to that buck. Does a whitetail buck in the peak of the rut get that rutting gamey taste with the meat? I never shot a WT but I have heard many guys say it's great table fare.

Thanks

To answer your question this WT buck was shot mid Nov he was not with any does he was not in the full rut he was looking for does this WT deer this young feller that took this fine WT deer will be as good eating deer on the dinner table as if it where shot in the Sept month.

I myself have shot many WT deer over my years I have taken them in the rut late Nov the meat on these WT deer that where in the full rut the meat was not gamey tasting the meat was as good as if it was shot in Sept season I found out that mule deer stink up the meat rather then WT deer in the full rut.

I myself find its the mule deer meat that tastes real gamey when shot in the rut I don't like shooting a mule deer in the rut because I won't eat it the only way that the meat would taste better for me is to grind it into pepperonis or sausage meat this is my thoughts and my opinion..

Timbow
03-12-2015, 10:08 AM
To answer your question this WT buck was shot mid Nov he was not with any does he was not in the full rut he was looking for does this WT deer this young feller that took this fine WT deer will be as good eating deer on the dinner table as if it where shot in the Sept month.

I myself have shot many WT deer over my years I have taken them in the rut late Nov the meat on these WT deer that where in the full rut the meat was not gamey tasting the meat was as good as if it was shot in Sept season I found out that mule deer stink up the meat rather then WT deer in the full rut.

I myself find its the mule deer meat that tastes real gamey when shot in the rut I don't like shooting a mule deer in the rut because I won't eat it the only way that the meat would taste better for me is to grind it into pepperonis or sausage meat this is my thoughts and my opinion..

Thanks for answering my question. I never shot a whitetail but will plan to, especially during the Region 5 mule deer rut closure. I always buy a whitetail tag for just in case while hunting mule deer.

I too find the mule deer gamey during the rut. If I want a table fare muley I will shot one in September and and early October. When Region 5 had the two deer limit, I would shot one meat buck and save the other tag for the big guys in the last season.

HarryToolips
03-12-2015, 10:06 PM
I agree with H47, the one I shot Nov 27 a few years back wasn't gamey at all, tasted the same as WT bucks I've shot in Sept...Great story there H47, and really not bad for a road hunt, not many bruiser WT bucks get takin that way, very good instinct...

hunter1947
03-13-2015, 05:57 AM
Thanks for answering my question. I never shot a whitetail but will plan to, especially during the Region 5 mule deer rut closure. I always buy a whitetail tag for just in case while hunting mule deer.

I too find the mule deer gamey during the rut. If I want a table fare muley I will shot one in September and and early October. When Region 5 had the two deer limit, I would shot one meat buck and save the other tag for the big guys in the last season.

Good choice on your thinking regarding taking a mule deer before the rut I find that mule deer are good eaters if your lucky enough to take one before they are in the full rut..