PDA

View Full Version : wolf hunting Kamloops area

Grolar
03-10-2015, 11:44 AM
was talking to a CO last week about areas and he said that Hyas Lake is an area that has a good amount of them.....what is the best way to hunt them and call them

Doostien
03-10-2015, 04:20 PM
Best to try and call them in. Injured animal sounds usually work pretty good. I've had success from howling too. Though calling them in only works if you know where they are in a general sense.

Most of the stuff I learned about wolf hunting came from a CO, maybe the same one you talked to. Van Damme? Something he told me, but that I haven't got to try yet is howling and then when you get a response make a beeline right for them howling along the way. He said that one wolf will usually stay behind the pack to see what's coming at them.

skibum
03-10-2015, 04:37 PM
A pack came and checked us out while we were stomping around the area mentioned. Hearing one wolf howl 40-80 yards away, followed by the pack, 100 yards way -- it is bit louder than you expect, makes your neck hair stand up.

They never left the tree line that I had my gun sighted on.

Lillypuff
03-10-2015, 05:29 PM
I have heard them around pass lake and have seen sign around Jameson on bobs creek rd?

Grolar
03-10-2015, 07:16 PM
Best to try and call them in. Injured animal sounds usually work pretty good. I've had success from howling too. Though calling them in only works if you know where they are in a general sense.

Most of the stuff I learned about wolf hunting came from a CO, maybe the same one you talked to. Van Damme? Something he told me, but that I haven't got to try yet is howling and then when you get a response make a beeline right for them howling along the way. He said that one wolf will usually stay behind the pack to see what's coming at them.
What calls do you use to make howl and a beeline