PDA

View Full Version : muskrats

Sofa King
03-09-2015, 10:29 PM
what potential problems do they cause?
I was at a friend's property on the weekend and spotted a muskrat in his man-made lake.
he might be planning to have the lake stocked with fish this year, and after I pointed the muskrat out to him, he was thinking he'll have to have it removed.

lip_ripper00
03-09-2015, 10:31 PM
Pllliiiinnnkkkk and don't worry about it.

The Dawg
03-09-2015, 10:48 PM
Lots.

Where is the property?- I can send someone to help possibly

Sofa King
03-09-2015, 10:52 PM
it's not new to the locale.
he just bought this place in September.
I walked around and didn't see any destruction.
he's mainly concerned that it will eat the fish if he stocks the lake.

Doublelung
03-10-2015, 06:59 AM
They tend to dig bank dens that are both a hazard to humans and livestock. I have never seen one to eat a fish but there presents will increase the chance that otters and mink will reside there as well.

Wild one
03-10-2015, 08:28 AM
Muskrats are vegetarian and will not prey on his fish.

Where muskrats cause problems is there tunnelling but if there is no risk of them causing the pond to spring a leak and drain water they are not a big issue.

Really you need to decide if there tunnelling may have an effect on the ponds water level and if there is no risk here leave them be. They will just help keep cattails and other veg under control

Pioneerman
03-10-2015, 08:34 AM
They are not vegetarians according to a few sites

Muskrats eat a wide variety of vegetable and animal foods, including: cattails, sedges, rushes, water lilies, pondweeds, wild rice, pickerelweed, clover, willow, acorns, maple samaras (http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/glossary_qz.htm#samara), arrowhead, sweet flag, switchgrass, mussels, crayfish, frogs, snails, and fish.

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/muskrat.htm

Food and Feeding Habits

Muskrats eat a wide variety of plants, including cattails, sedges, bulrush, arrowhead, water lilies, pondweed, and ferns. They also eat alfalfa, clover, corn, and other crops if muskrats find them in their territories.
Although muskrats will eat shellfish, snails, fish, frogs, and salamanders, such animal foods are a small part of their diet, and are generally consumed when plant foods are scarce.
Muskrats normally feed within 150 feet of their main dwellings; however, they will travel much farther in search of food.
When muskrats become too numerous, an “eat-out” can occur where nearly all the available food is eaten. The eat-out area becomes virtually uninhabitable for muskrats, and only a few animals may be found where dozens or more once were.

Wild one
03-10-2015, 08:37 AM
I can tell you for a fact as well his real issue will be birds and otters. It does not matter if he sees them now stock it and they will find it.

There is little he can do about this it is part of having fish. Ponds with a good deep drop off and well treed help with the birds. Otters just have a trapper nock them down a little. Either way you will loose some to preds.

In all honesty his real things to worry about is summer heat, freezing over, and oxygen levels.

I have a lot of experience with this subject if you have a ? feel free to PM me

Wild one
03-10-2015, 08:39 AM
They are not vegetarians according to a few sites

Muskrats eat a wide variety of vegetable and animal foods, including: cattails, sedges, rushes, water lilies, pondweeds, wild rice, pickerelweed, clover, willow, acorns, maple samaras (http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/glossary_qz.htm#samara), arrowhead, sweet flag, switchgrass, mussels, crayfish, frogs, snails, and fish.

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/muskrat.htm

Food and Feeding Habits

Muskrats eat a wide variety of plants, including cattails, sedges, bulrush, arrowhead, water lilies, pondweed, and ferns. They also eat alfalfa, clover, corn, and other crops if muskrats find them in their territories.
Although muskrats will eat shellfish, snails, fish, frogs, and salamanders, such animal foods are a small part of their diet, and are generally consumed when plant foods are scarce.
Muskrats normally feed within 150 feet of their main dwellings; however, they will travel much farther in search of food.
When muskrats become too numerous, an “eat-out” can occur where nearly all the available food is eaten. The eat-out area becomes virtually uninhabitable for muskrats, and only a few animals may be found where dozens or more once were.

When they do take meat it is often scavenging

Pioneerman
03-10-2015, 08:42 AM
But as pointed out they will eat meat sources so not vegetarian. I doubt most swimming rats will be as fast as a fish.

Sofa King
03-10-2015, 10:36 AM
ya, I'd never thought of them to be fish-eaters, but was then surprised to read that.
but yeah, I doubt they'd be detrimental, they are mainly plant-eaters.

I looked around and saw no evidence of any burrowing.
they also make a push-up den, more similar to a beaver's.
I was thinking that maybe having a resident muskrat might help keep other things from coming in.
his lake is very close to a main river, and I know there are otters in the river, so I'd expect visits from them if there are fish.
the lake was done properly, it's aerated, it has a big waterfall also that continuously flows, and is 18 ft deep at it's deepest.
I don't think he's too concerned about losing the odd fish, it's kind of expected.

Wild one
03-10-2015, 10:40 AM
ya, I'd never thought of them to be fish-eaters, but was then surprised to read that.
but yeah, I doubt they'd be detrimental, they are mainly plant-eaters.

I looked around and saw no evidence of any burrowing.
they also make a push-up den, more similar to a beaver's.
I was thinking that maybe having a resident muskrat might help keep other things from coming in.
his lake is very close to a main river, and I know there are otters in the river, so I'd expect visits from them if there are fish.
the lake was done properly, it's aerated, it has a big waterfall also that continuously flows, and is 18 ft deep at it's deepest.
I don't think he's too concerned about losing the odd fish, it's kind of expected.

Sound like his set up should work fine get the permit and stock it

Recommend fish 6inch plus smaller and they get hit harder by blue heron and king fishers.

For stock I recommend Ted Brown out of little Fort

03-10-2015, 10:42 AM
Muskrats are vegetarian and will not prey on his fish.

Where muskrats cause problems is there tunnelling but if there is no risk of them causing the pond to spring a leak and drain water they are not a big issue.

Really you need to decide if there tunnelling may have an effect on the ponds water level and if there is no risk here leave them be. They will just help keep cattails and other veg under control

Totally, they are not a problem

Sofa King
03-10-2015, 10:43 AM
I wish he could stock it with 4 foot pike.
then there'd be no worries about muskrats and otters.

dracb
08-09-2015, 12:22 AM
Steep banks will encourage tunneling. Pond side of the dam should be 3:1 or gentler slope to discourage tunneling. AND he is still over time going to be visited by birds, mink, probably otters and likely beaver.

35rem
08-09-2015, 07:05 PM
In Holland they are considered a major pest as they like to dig huge dens in dykes at the waterline. The government employs trappers to keep the numbers down. The meat is sometimes sold as "water rabbit" and is actually not bad...