PDA

View Full Version : Good News...Hmmmm?

Daybreak
03-09-2015, 07:20 PM
Thomson announced today that proceeds from all fishing licences will be injected right back to the fisheries programs, a 3 million dollar boost.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/post.php?100-of-Angling-Licence-Revenue-to-Benefit-Anglers-265

This is good news however it begs the question...is he trying to buy back some friends and their approval?

Paulyman
03-09-2015, 07:22 PM
Yes, he is trying to buy some friends.

Whonnock Boy
03-09-2015, 07:27 PM
Don't be fooled. I would not doubt if he is just lubing us up for the future.

adriaticum
03-09-2015, 07:42 PM
Wow.
The question is where the **** had that money been going to up to now?

Glenny
03-09-2015, 07:43 PM
Wow.

My thoughts exaaaaaaackly! Butt..I think we know.

Sofa King
03-09-2015, 07:53 PM
Wow.

yup.
and of course that will never be know.
basically like everything in b.c., where's all that money from everything really go?
everyone pays into EI, but practically nobody in the big scheme really collects any back.
I know there isn't a giant pile just accumulating, it's going into people's pockets.

Wild one
03-09-2015, 08:42 PM
Most won't want to admit it but fishermen have less in fighting and organization than RH giving them better representation. I bet it is more to do with this than a political move

Good to see this has been achieved

bigdogeh
03-09-2015, 08:52 PM
Most guys I know that fish also hunt... we have to keep each other current on what's happening around us politically. there's crap happening in both sectors... like Dan has mentioned, they slowly try to ratchet this stuff on us and before you know it everythings for sale....

kilometers
03-09-2015, 09:08 PM
Wow.

My exact words when I herd this at work today!!

coach
03-09-2015, 09:11 PM
This has been in the works for quite some time now. No conspiracy theory here. The same is supposed to happen with fees from hunting licenses. Hopefully that still goes ahead.

srupp
03-09-2015, 09:24 PM
Hmmmmmmmm exactly...
Srupp

The Dawg
03-09-2015, 09:32 PM
This has been in the works for quite some time now. No conspiracy theory here. The same is supposed to happen with fees from hunting licenses. Hopefully that still goes ahead.

What he said

Red arch
03-09-2015, 09:36 PM
Hopefully I can clear a few things up.

Thomson announced today that proceeds from all fishing licences will be injected right back to the fisheries programs, a 3 million dollar boost.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/post.php?100-of-Angling-Licence-Revenue-to-Benefit-Anglers-265

This is good news however it begs the question...is he trying to buy back some friends and their approval?

No, as Coach mentioned, this has been in the works for quite some time. The announcement might be timed to appease, the actual changeover was not.

Wow.

Up until now the Money from Fishing licence revenues has been split as follows.
54% went to FFSBC to fund the provincial stocking program. This funding is what pays for the Hatchery operations that are responsible for the stocking of over 800 Lakes and Rivers in the province.
25% went to HCTF for habitat enhancement or increased fisheries access. For example the Learn to Fish program by FFSBC is externally funded (no fishing licence revenue that goes to FFSBC funds the program), by several groups including HCTF. HCTF is also behind some of the increased access to urban fisheries.

So far, 79% of licence revenue went directly back to fisheries. The other 21%, went to the Provincial Gov't. This was supposed to go towards fisheries (through the managers, stock assessments, and other ministry funcitons). However there was also the possibility of the license revenue going into general revenue instead (and I cant say it did or did not, but an election promise by Clark was licence revenue going into fisheries).

Now 75% goes to FFSBC, and 25% goes to HCTF. In other words all the revenue will go into fisheries and none is available to be skimmed off into general revenue. How the new model works though is the important part.

WesternBirds
03-15-2015, 01:50 PM
Adrian Clarke - VP of Science for the Freshwater Society of BC posted a reply to a similar thread on Sportfishbc site:

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?31051-100-of-Angling-Licence-Revenue-to-Benefit-Anglers/page2
(http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?31051-100-of-Angling-Licence-Revenue-to-Benefit-Anglers/page2)
Sounds like more meetings and committees, but there is some great potential! At least the ministry's will have access to some funding!

bigdogeh
03-15-2015, 02:06 PM
this question was asked on the sportsfishing BC forum I go to. it was asked 4 days ago of a person who I assume was maybe from government or FFSBC that had made the announcement.
it hasn't been answered yet,. just wondering if anyone here might know the answer?

"Andrew

If you are still following this thread, and If you don't mind a followup question.

In a very quick review of a few FFS BC annual reports, the province has been contributing roughly 1.6 to 1.75
million to the Society annually.
Is this going to be eliminated now that the Society is going to receive all of the license revenue?
If that funding is clawed back, the net increase in funding would decrease to 1.25 to 1.4 million.

Glad of the change, but leery of Provincial good news announcements.
Thank you"

HarryToolips
03-15-2015, 04:28 PM
Good to see all the funding is going into fishing, as it should..hope they do the same for hunting soon..

HarryToolips
03-15-2015, 04:29 PM
Wow.
Some into their cushy politician pensions I would bet..

Lastcar
03-16-2015, 06:28 PM
BigDogEh,

If you have a chance and don't mind, keep us posted if Adrian replies to the question about existing non license funding being removed with this new system in place. Or if he indicates the new system will result in a net gain if so.

Not to pawn it off on you....but its a slippery slope how many forums a guy dares to view in a day. I am already at about 3 too many. ;-)

bigdogeh
03-16-2015, 07:23 PM
BigDogEh,

If you have a chance and don't mind, keep us posted if Adrian replies to the question about existing non license funding being removed with this new system in place. Or if he indicates the new system will result in a net gain if so.

Not to pawn it off on you....but its a slippery slope how many forums a guy dares to view in a day. I am already at about 3 too many. ;-)

lol,
yes, I'll be sure to keep huntingbc.ca informed if I hear of anything...

303savage
03-28-2015, 07:25 PM
I kind of follow the old saying " How can you tell a politician is lying? Their lips are moving "