PDA

View Full Version : Controlled burns

coach
03-09-2015, 07:08 PM
http://www.castanet.net/content/2015/3/burn_p3039424.jpgPhoto: Thinkstock.com

A series of "ecosystem restoration" burns is planned for the Satellite Hill and South Fork areas east of Vernon.
These prescribed fires will occur in several phases and may start as early as Tuesday and continue until the end of the month, weather permitting.
The controlled burns will be conducted by Wildfire Management Branch crews and Ministry of Forests staff. Smoke may be visible from Lumby, Coldstream, Cherryville and Vernon.
The Satellite Hill burn areas will cover an estimated 45 hectares, approximately six kilometres south of Lumby and Highway 6.
The South Fork burn area will cover an estimated 30 hectares, approximately six kilometres east of Cherryville and north of Highway 6.
Historically, grasslands and open forests in the Okanagan have been renewed through frequent, low-intensity ground fires. Such fires limit tree encroachment, rejuvenate shrubs that grow beneath the forest canopy and maintain open grasslands and open forests containing large trees, says fire information officer Kelsey Winter of the Kamloops Fire Centre.
"The reintroduction of managed, low-intensity ground fires to these areas is intended to restore and maintain plant communities that are native to these areas. These managed fires also reduce fuel loads, leading to a decreased risk of catastrophic wildfires," Winter said in a press release.
The prescribed burns are administered in collaboration with local ranchers, forest licensees, outdoor organizations, the B.C. Wildlife Federation and the Wild Sheep Society of British Columbia.
Factsheet:

Fire is a normal, natural process in many of B.C.'s ecosystems. Many species of plants, birds, insects and other animals depend on fire for its regenerative properties.
Fire helps control insects and the spread of disease in forests. It also contributes to forest regeneration, as younger trees replace older trees. Having trees of various ages in a forest helps create biodiversity.
Fire can be used to enhance habitat and improve forage for cattle, deer, bighorn sheep and moose. A controlled burn also can reduce fuel loads and reduce the risk of wildfire in interface areas.
The size and intensity of prescribed burns are carefully planned and controlled. They are only ignited when weather conditions are favourable and when the fire will not create excessive smoke.
Prescribed fires may only be ignited on days when the forecast for the venting index is "good".
All prescribed burns must comply with the Environmental Management Act and the Open Burning Smoke Control Regulation. This helps minimize the amount of smoke generated.
A prescribed burn is continuously monitored by trained firefighting crews to ensure that the fire does not get out of control.

Read More: Vernon (http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/)
Report a Typo (http://www.castanet.net/contactus/report_typo.php?story=134688)
SEND US YOUR NEWS TIPS (http://www.castanet.net/contactus/news-tips.php)

coach
03-09-2015, 07:09 PM
Article was from castanet.net..

Stone Sheep Steve
03-09-2015, 07:49 PM
Conditions this year are dry. Their burning window might not last. Pray for winds and over-achievement.

Sofa King
03-09-2015, 07:50 PM
and half the people ion Kelowna will be lighting up the 911 phoneboards reporting forest fires.

Big Lew
03-09-2015, 07:53 PM
Hope those fires kill off ticks as well.

358mag
03-09-2015, 07:58 PM
and half the people ion Kelowna will be lighting up the 911 phoneboards reporting forest fires.

And the other half will be complaining of poor air quality as they light up a cigarette ... burn baby burn ...

GoatGuy
03-09-2015, 08:01 PM
Few fires going in the Nicola country yesterday

Hope for dry lightning this summer

Tīɡ
03-09-2015, 08:30 PM
Fires are definitely well overdue in many portions of the province, that is for sure.

Liveforthehunt
03-09-2015, 08:32 PM
I think it's going to be a good year for fires... lol sounds bad but I could use some good burns locally to hunt. The ones that happened years ago are a little too thick now.

boxhitch
03-09-2015, 09:37 PM
Hope for dry lightning this summerOr an outbreak of pocket lightning

boxhitch
03-09-2015, 09:39 PM
The Satellite Hill burn is phase 4 or 5 of an ongoing project , already small burns in the area.
Not sure of South Fork

358mag
03-09-2015, 09:49 PM

Hope for dry lightning this summer
Or maybe a bit of Super Cub lighting .

one-shot-wonder
03-09-2015, 09:50 PM
South Fork is also a 5 yr plan. no fall windows to burn the past two seasons. Glad to see they will get a spring burn in place there.

rocksteady
03-10-2015, 08:24 AM
Conditions this year are dry. Their burning window might not last. Pray for winds and over-achievement.

I hear what you are saying, that we need more burned, however, the best way to end this program is to have over achievements.

andrewscag
03-10-2015, 09:29 AM
Looked like some piles burning between barriere and kamloops last night.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-10-2015, 09:33 AM
I hear what you are saying, that we need more burned, however, the best way to end this program is to have over achievements.

Not a big one....just maybe 10-30% so no one notices;-)

Huntfarm2
03-10-2015, 09:36 AM
They have been doing controlled burning near lunby the last few years... Accomplishing nothing. Basically stumps smoulder barely any grass and weeds burn. And all the young up coming trees that they are trying to get rid of for more grass are not burnt or cut down.Waste of money if they actually put effort into the burn it would be great. Maybe the rules on when to burn and to strict and they struggle.

rocksteady
03-10-2015, 02:30 PM
Not a big one....just maybe 10-30% so no one notices;-)

Its better off to keep them where tehy are, and as the public accepts that they can be done safely, less resistance occurs. We have learned that over on the EK.

We are looking at doing about 1500 has in the Trench this spring:lol::lol::lol:8-)

rocksteady
03-10-2015, 02:31 PM
They have been doing controlled burning near lunby the last few years... Accomplishing nothing. Basically stumps smoulder barely any grass and weeds burn. And all the young up coming trees that they are trying to get rid of for more grass are not burnt or cut down.Waste of money if they actually put effort into the burn it would be great. Maybe the rules on when to burn and to strict and they struggle.

Sounds like the grass is getting eaten down by cattle and or wildlife. Maybe the rancher needs to rest the pasture for a year or so, to bring back the grass fuels that will kill the regen.

one-shot-wonder
03-10-2015, 07:07 PM
Sounds like the grass is getting eaten down by cattle and or wildlife. Maybe the rancher needs to rest the pasture for a year or
so, to bring back the grass fuels that will kill the regen.
Yes, more than a few prescribed burns have failed to "get off the ground" in the Okanagan the last few years due to overgrazing from a lack of foresight on behalf of the rancher.
Education is required not only for the general public on air quality, but the ranching community also.

rocksteady
03-10-2015, 07:42 PM
Yes, more than a few prescribed burns have failed to "get off the ground" in the Okanagan the last few years due to overgrazing from a lack of foresight on behalf of the rancher.
Education is required not only for the general public on air quality, but the ranching community also.

Welcome to my world... educating the positives of prescribed burning

one-shot-wonder
03-10-2015, 09:17 PM
Welcome to my world... educating the positives of prescribed burning

A letter to the editor written from the drip torch point of view would be interesting....public education is the largest part of the equation IMO.

Prescribed burning and eco restoration needs to be on every outdoor person's agenda when speaking with ones MLA.......

coach
03-10-2015, 09:43 PM
A letter to the editor written from the drip torch point of view would be interesting....public education is the largest part of the equation IMO.

Prescribed burning and eco restoration needs to be on every outdoor person's agenda when speaking with ones MLA.......

Absolutely! All of us need to become engaged in this program. Huge benefits to wildlife and needed protection for urban areas during dry years - like the one we could be facing in 2015.

Perhaps some common ground for GO's and residents?

rocksteady
03-11-2015, 05:00 PM
A letter to the editor written from the drip torch point of view would be interesting....public education is the largest part

unfortunately in my present position within government I am not allowed to make such comments. I would get terminated.

Patience, I retire in 5 1/2 years , then I will go bat shit crazy with letters to the editor :)

Whonnock Boy
03-11-2015, 05:20 PM
Ever heard of the term ghostwriter? ;)

unfortunately in my present position within government I am not allowed to make such comments. I would get terminated.

Patience, I retire in 5 1/2 years , then I will go bat shit crazy with letters to the editor :)

2chodi
03-11-2015, 05:30 PM
I seems like the relationship between the wildlife people and the fire protection people up in the Peace is pretty good. We are getting some wildlife burns with the cooperation of the people from forestry.

http://nprg.ca/2014/08/2014-peace-liard-burn-program-update/

Stone Sheep Steve
03-11-2015, 06:23 PM
I seems like the relationship between the wildlife people and the fire protection people up in the Peace is pretty good. We are getting some wildlife burns with the cooperation of the people from forestry.

http://nprg.ca/2014/08/2014-peace-liard-burn-program-update/

It's good to have someone in the right position who really understands how important burns are for wildlife

bridger
03-11-2015, 06:29 PM
[QUOTE=2chodi;1616904]I seems like the relationship between the wildlife people and the fire protection people up in the Peace is pretty good. We are getting some wildlife burns with the cooperation of the people from forestry.

http://nprg.ca/2014/08/2014-peace-liard-burn-program-update/[/QUOTE

The north peace rod & gun club conducted the first prescribed in the province on the Moberly River near Fort St John back in the early 70's.

Sofa King
03-11-2015, 06:33 PM
looked like a burn way up jamieson somewhere today.
was definitely more than a slash pile.

bcfirefly
03-11-2015, 07:11 PM
i was out of the office this week so was unable to use Monday / Tuesdays window to burn Satelite. Will try next week. South Fork is a tricky one to meet the objectives but pretty confident we'll get it off this year. hard to overachieve when its just grass and encroachment. We got nothing like what Mike has going on in the EK. I can only dream

boxhitch
03-11-2015, 07:33 PM
South Fork and Satellite are for mule deer winter habitat iirc ? impossible to overachieve imo )

avadad
03-11-2015, 08:50 PM
Thanks for posting this coach.

rocksteady
03-13-2015, 09:13 PM
Burned 11 ha of sheep habitat on lower Arrow Lakes today, every little bit helps, extended off a burn from a couple years ago

HarryToolips
03-13-2015, 09:21 PM
Good to see them doing this, could use a few burns over here on the west side of Okanagan lake as well..it seems like there could be a lot of wildfires this year, so dry already...

rocksteady
03-13-2015, 09:46 PM
Good to see them doing this, could use a few burns over here on the west side of Okanagan lake as well..it seems like there could be a lot of wildfires this year, so dry already...

it all hinges on may /June rains. Get them, normal season, no rain Jelvis "Mother of all fire sessons" prediction could come true