PDA

View Full Version : First pack hunt help

bubba350
03-09-2015, 10:30 AM
Hey guys,

I recently have focused my life on my health and have lost a lot of weight. I want to start doing pack hunts where I pack in, camp, hunt, and pack out. I was thinking of starting with an early season mule deer hunt. I am not afraid to put in work and spend time in the field over the summer. My problem is i'm not sure where to start planning as far as location. I live in the LMD my biggest question is what do you guys do for access? Do you drive in park and go? I am an experianced hunter but I want to make the pack hunting a new part of my life eventually going for sheep and goats.

I am not looking for honey holes I am just looking for a nudge on where a beginner should start. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it on the form.

This form trully is a wealth of knowledge.

Cheers

Bubba

swampthing
03-09-2015, 10:34 AM
Head lilloett way. Look for forest service roads that that get you close to alpine. Head out from there. You should be able to find spots where you only have to pack a few hours in, easy to get out. Get your feet wet with that and learn what you really need for gear.

rifleman
03-09-2015, 10:34 AM
I would start with google earth & find alpine with no roads. i have hunted near Lilloett with success.

bubba350
03-15-2015, 09:53 PM
Thx i think I will try it out

Trigger Happy
03-16-2015, 12:12 AM
Or check out the Pine Pass between Prince George and Chetwynd. Have hiked the azouetta mountain range and it's ****** awesome :)

Coachman
03-16-2015, 02:01 AM
If you're an experienced hunter, my suggestion would be to go to the area you're somewhat familiar with already. Use Google Earth to find where the roads end and park there and hike to the apline.

Most of my harvests are within a mile of the end of a road. It's amazing what lies just beyond where you can access with a truck or quad.