PDA

View Full Version : Meat cutters

Odd-6
04-05-2007, 06:56 AM
I'll be hunting around Pink Mountain and assuming I'll need to use a meat cutter in Ft. St. John. Who is a good and reasonable priced butcher? Hopefully I can get a E-Mail contact. I know alot do it themselves, but I won't have to time. Thank you.

TRACKnTRAIL
04-05-2007, 08:02 AM
Actually when we were up there we used a guy in Wonowon. I can't remember his name but it is such a small town just ask someone. He was reasonably priced, had all are meat cut wrapped and frozen when we were ready to go.

tuchodi
04-05-2007, 08:30 AM
In Ft St John you can call Mike Olanski he has his buisness on Swanson Lumber Road #9439. He has cut meat for many years and is real good. His phone number is 250-785-1309. Good Luck

Schmaus
04-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Who is a good and reasonable priced butcher?

Good luck with that. Unless you tag out in the first couple of days of the season just about all the cutters up north get full really fast. Make sure you have some sort of a back up plan.

270WIN
04-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Good luck with that. Unless you tag out in the first couple of days of the season just about all the cutters up north get full really fast. Make sure you have some sort of a back up plan.

I second that.

3kills
04-05-2007, 12:11 PM
make the plans well in advance and even see if u can book some room in there cooler...might have to pay a deposit....good luck...

hunter1947
04-05-2007, 05:24 PM
If i had a diesel truck ,i would have a trailer made from my brother that has a welding shop ,it would be 20 feet long and 7 feet wide. Then i would take a 5000 Watt generator and two deep freezes and when i got game i would butcher them wrap them and put it in the freezer ,no problems with trying to find a place to hang your meat.:roll: hunter 1947.

Tarp Man
04-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Even a verbal agreement with the guy in Wonowon for the open season in August didn't hold water, despite a healthy tip the previous year (it doubled the bill) and the promise of more of the same. In turn he overcharged us for the moose we had there, the morning we agreed with him to pick it up. I would not deal with him again if I had any other choice. On principle alone.

wsm
04-05-2007, 09:07 PM
i third that ........ it cost us $1175 to get two moose cut and wrapped and shipped to the mainland.the shipping cost was $296 so $879 to cut the two moose and the one moose was small very small.. 420lbs cut and wrapped back =2.09 per lbs. most places are somewhere between 50 and 75 cents per lbs.

Dad and son
04-07-2007, 07:40 AM
Well I guess if you were the only meat cutter for miles around and had a very seasonal income (ie cutting meat for hunters in the fall) what would you charge? I was charged 75 cents per pound for my son's bison in December by the butcher in Wonowon. I do not know what the cost is in the fall. The name is 101 Meats and the number is 250-772-3165. He is on mile 101 of the Alaska Highway.

Tarp Man
04-07-2007, 10:40 AM
When you have a price list posted and have a verbal agreement with someone that was confirmed by telephone twice, who then changes his mind in the morning when you show up to pick up your meat, that goes down like a lead fart. Not nice. Especially since he overcharges you for extra days. I am pretty sure I have heard of a butcher who is a bit more reputable in Pink Mountain. If you are in that area, it is definitely worth checking it out. If you are able to get into FSJ then go for that. I realize that butcher in Wonowon gets extremely busy at that time of year, but when you have an agreement with someone, who you then screw for the almighty dollar, breaking it is a reflection on your business and character.

skills
10-12-2013, 08:11 PM
Yes,I've seen that done more than once and yes again,you avoid a host of "what to do now" problems. I'm still steaming about Wonowon meats ripping us off this year when we were at risk of loosing our harvest to the warm weather,never again! A couple trips to that crook and you could buy a freezer and a jenny. By the way,you can get away with a generator half the size that your talking about. A tiny little 1000 watt will run a freezer just fine as it sips minimal fuel. My 16 foot car hauler has room for 2 quads and a big old chest freezer,that's what we'll be doing next year.

Steeleco
10-12-2013, 08:51 PM
Enough with the 6 years threads about the same guy!