PDA

View Full Version : First Scout Ever!

TGofers
03-03-2015, 04:39 PM
I went out looking for deer and I found some!! I can't post the pics cause it says too much MB. each file is 1.3 so it kicks it out everytime. Anyways, I have the proof. The first two I came across look like two decent size bucks. The last two were a Doe and Fawn. All Blacktails. The first two look like they could be shooters this year!! Super pumped as no signs of anyone else around so hopefully I found a bit of a honey hole! Going to make it out this weekend and put some apples out and tree cam and hopefully I can get a couple of close ups. Saw all the deer between 1 and 2 pm. I was hoping to scout and set up tree cam around areas I saw signs and was not expecting to come across any! Must have been all the nice weather we are having. So the fact that I saw them during the day does not mean much considering we are still 5 months away from season. Will they still be in this area or do they change with seasons. I looked around the area and lots of little food plots all around that will come in effect during the whole year including a couple of nut trees. I am thinking that I should set up my Tree Stand 3-4 days prior to opening day?

luckofthedraw
03-03-2015, 04:55 PM
nice enthusiasm! Don't burn yourself out before the season starts. Get back into the area and keep your eyes on the ground looking for sheds. Then you can see the caliber of deer you have in there.

Wild one
03-03-2015, 05:41 PM
Use salt not apples or you might bring in bears

warnniklz
03-03-2015, 06:11 PM
That's awesome. When I'm chasing bears in late june I always see cranker bucks... can't seem to jump them in september. I can find sign of them, tracks, rubs and whatnot... but just can't seem to find them.

But I'm chasing mule deer and not blacktails. So hopefully you can do better than this cowboy.

TGofers
03-03-2015, 10:15 PM
Make any sense to do a predator sweep in the area to help grow population? Anybody focus on this in off season for their special zone?

monasheemountainman
03-03-2015, 10:19 PM
Don't talk about your special zone this is supposed to be a hunting forum!

TGofers
03-03-2015, 10:56 PM
Don't talk about your special zone this is supposed to be a hunting forum!
That too funny!

hoochie
03-04-2015, 08:03 AM
the deer in yarrow, Chilliwack lake, ryder lake etc; they all seem to be there all year.

TGofers
03-04-2015, 03:59 PM
the deer in yarrow, Chilliwack lake, ryder lake etc; they all seem to be there all year.

Is that the same for the Harrison Area! LOL