PDA

View Full Version : effects of wild horses around deer

bigredchev
02-28-2015, 08:05 AM
what are the effects, if any, or wild hoses in close population to deer? whities and mulies?

these horses are not only wild but at times aggressive, and do bluff charge on occasion.

thanks

M.Dean
02-28-2015, 08:26 AM
To the South of me is the old Harper Ranch, it's now owned by the Kamloops Indian Band, and on the ranch are one pile of semi wild horses.Years ago old Gus G. would supply these horses for "Buck'n Stock" for lots of the Rodeo's each summer. Just a guess, but I think there's around 70 or so horses running a muck. And over the years I've seen deer feeding along side the horses with no problems, so, like all other creatures of the forest, I think deer and horses get along just dandy!

swampthing
02-28-2015, 09:24 AM
I have been charged by big horses up the Tuchodi. There was a lot there and they were mean! The stallions were continually fighting with each other. Whitetails and elk were on the same slopes as the horses and just seemed to stay out of there way. I would imagine the horses would put a dent in the food supply as there was a lot of them.

Sofa King
02-28-2015, 09:51 AM
To the South of me is the old Harper Ranch, it's now owned by the Kamloops Indian Band, and on the ranch are one pile of semi wild horses.Years ago old Gus G. would supply these horses for "Buck'n Stock" for lots of the Rodeo's each summer. Just a guess, but I think there's around 70 or so horses running a muck. And over the years I've seen deer feeding along side the horses with no problems, so, like all other creatures of the forest, I think deer and horses get along just dandy!

i agree. its just another animal out in the woods. most wild horses tend to more or less hang in the fields or meadows and wouldnt encounter deer too, too much. ive seen bear sharing cutblocks with cattle and bear living not far from horses that run free. if bear are tolerated, i dont think deer would even get a second glance.

Big Lew
02-28-2015, 10:30 AM
Earlier someone asked about cattle and deer as well. I've watched deer feeding and
passing through fairly large numbers of cattle. I've also seen deer do the same with
wild horses. These sightings weren't anywhere near farms or ranch fields either.
They do give way and a wide berth to them though.

jtred
02-28-2015, 10:40 AM
Feral is a better description. They are in direct competition with the native animals on the range and being larger, more aggressive and in large herds have the potential to really affect wild populations. S. Alberta is one area where feral horses have become a problem, Australia is having real problems with all sorts of feral animals. They can do a great deal of damage to native flora and directly affect populations of native animals. It would probably be better if they were not there.

solo
02-28-2015, 12:33 PM
Don't mulies and horses have different diets?

butcher
02-28-2015, 01:22 PM
Whitetail will come right into the field and graze with my horses. It's usually the horse that gets wigged out.

Wild one
02-28-2015, 01:31 PM
In areas I have hunted with wild horses I find the deer just give the horses their space most often. 1 area I hunt if the horses are there I know the deer have moved about 500yards away to another feeding area.

I have see deer mixed in with cattle and horses as well so I don't think they have a big issue with them

bigredchev
02-28-2015, 05:31 PM
very helpful thanks. These horses are nasty and confrontational.

Sofa King
02-28-2015, 05:34 PM
I had brought up the deer/cattle thing last year I think.
had never seen them together before, like right together.
then, this past season, I see most my deer and moose and bear right in amongst the cattle.

Ltbullken
03-01-2015, 04:03 PM
Complete heavily for habitat and win out. Sort of like feral pigs....

ACE
03-01-2015, 05:08 PM
I have been charged by big horses up the Tuchodi. There was a lot there and they were mean! The stallions were continually fighting with each other. Whitetails and elk were on the same slopes as the horses and just seemed to stay out of there way. I would imagine the horses would put a dent in the food supply as there was a lot of them.

A horse will graze all day, every day. Beef, elk, deer, etc. are cud chewers ..... they eat, bed down, and chew. Horse definitely eats more.

troutseeker
03-02-2015, 09:16 AM
I wish wolves would target only wild horses.

boxhitch
03-02-2015, 10:30 AM
Wolves and coyotes will clean up a feral horse carcass real quick.

boxhitch
03-02-2015, 10:31 AM
Don't mulies and horses have different diets?They both will browse when the feed condition dictates .

03-02-2015, 10:41 AM
Feral horses can devastate winter elk range. There was/is a "feral" herd east of Duncan Lake, owned by some old hippie. They have wrecked much of the low elevation grass. Basically chewed it down to the nibs, allowing a proliferation of introduced noxious plants.

Sofa King
03-02-2015, 10:53 AM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwa6HNdQnaYtqcH6-lvTUUk8jdXVXJScZbd3rKelyIBP5LRqcO (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwithonehope.org%2F2010%2F10%2F18% 2Fhow-not-to-ride-a-horse-in-nicaragua%2F&ei=dqP0VOzTM8jtoATGqIHQAw&bvm=bv.87269000,d.cGU&psig=AFQjCNG6OCnahxzMm5rwAttARFi8ubW8ew&ust=1425405031015089)

Glenny
03-02-2015, 10:58 AM
Been charged a couple times by the freaky squealing stallions up around Tunks. Doesn't seem to affect the deer.

03-02-2015, 11:01 AM
I grew-up in the Peace Country of Northern Alberta. I hunted mulies and moose along the Peace River breaks. Where cattle grazed the hunting sucked.

mokele mbembe
03-02-2015, 11:45 AM
I was wondering if I can get horse meat anywhere in BC. I have never tried better sausages than the ones from horse in Central Asia. Saw it once in italian butcher shop on 1st ave in Vancouver, but it was $25/lb.
Any ideas?

Sofa King
03-02-2015, 12:34 PM
I was wondering if I can get horse meat anywhere in BC. I have never tried better sausages than the ones from horse in Central Asia. Saw it once in italian butcher shop on 1st ave in Vancouver, but it was $25/lb.
Any ideas?

yeah, there's wild ones roaming around out there.

Ltbullken
03-02-2015, 02:05 PM
Wolves and coyotes will clean up a feral horse carcass real quick.

Yes, indeed they can... :twisted:

mokele mbembe
03-02-2015, 05:09 PM
yeah, there's wild ones roaming around out there.
Would it be legal to shoot one? Besides that, how do I know if its feral?

aggiehunter
03-02-2015, 08:46 PM
They are not wild and should all be completely removed from the range. They do not just feed on grasslands in our area and are a complete and utter scourge on Mule deer winter range. What they don't feast on they trample on. The local cattleman have no recourse for the damage to their range and politicians won't touch this...I've tried. Some horses have no tails (pin worm) and are sickly. If you and I left our own horses out on the range we would be charged immediately. Something has to be done and soon.

zippermouth
03-02-2015, 08:54 PM
They are not wild and should all be completely removed from the range. They do not just feed on grasslands in our area and are a complete and utter scourge on Mule deer winter range. What they don't feast on they trample on. The local cattleman have no recourse for the damage to their range and politicians won't touch this...I've tried. Some horses have no tails (pin worm) and are sickly. If you and I left our own horses out on the range we would be charged immediately. Something has to be done and soon.

coyote bait? I am seeing similar effects close to your neck of the woods. its a sad sight, and they really should do something about it.