PDA

View Full Version : Predator controll? How bout Dead wolf = a mulie doe tag.......we can only dream

Junorr500
02-27-2015, 05:09 PM
The wolf population is on the rise, we all know this. More wolves (predators in general) means less game and fewer opportunities for us 2 legged predators.

Don't know how much money the gov wants to throw at the problem but ill bet the most cost effective way is to offer a reward/bounty in the form of a mulie doe tag per fresh and inspected dead wolf.

We spend the money on gear and gas to whack a few wolves and spend more money on the reward of a extra deer in the freezer. And they are rewarding us with a deer that may have been killed by wolves anyway.

Sounds like a win win to me. Of course everything sounds good in a dream.

This is by no means my idea. I've heard it from a few hunters before.

Pros? Cons?

finngun
02-27-2015, 06:21 PM
juniorr---how bout dead wolf---////- what about road kill wolf and a deer tag??? ill like it:D a lot

Sofa King
02-27-2015, 06:26 PM
they need to close the open season on them to the public, make any wolf kill an LEH that needs allocation, then hand 99.9% of that to goabc.
if goabc sees it as a way they can make beaucoup bucks, they'll have them wiped out in no time.

bridger
02-27-2015, 06:28 PM
they need to close the open season on them to the public, make any wolf kill an LEH that needs allocation, then hand 99.9% of that to goabc.
if goabc sees it as a way they can make beaucoup bucks, they'll have them wiped out in no time.

lol no doubt!

Wild one
02-27-2015, 06:30 PM
Hunting is not going to do it we all have the ability now and numbers are climbing

Only guys I know who make a dent on wolves are trappers or hunters that live very close to wolf country

bridger
02-27-2015, 07:03 PM
Hunting is not going to do it we all have the ability now and numbers are climbing

Only guys I know who make a dent on wolves are trappers or hunters that live very close to wolf country

Agree general. to effectively reduce wolf numbers the effort had to be concentrated and not many people can effectively get into the back country. You are also right that people have to live close to Rolf country. The local cattlemans association in the south and North peace districts paid a $600 bounty on wolves taken in the agricultural done last year. Paid for about 500.

Doostien
02-27-2015, 07:40 PM
I think that more hunters should actively hunt wolves without needing an incentive. The incentive will be lower predator numbers and more of the things you want to shoot. Most hunters are the 'if i see one i'll shoot it' type. How many of us actively hunt them?

An incentive program would be great, but we should already be out killing the buggers regardless.

Foxtail
02-27-2015, 07:45 PM
I want to try calling them in... See if I can smoke a pack.

BearStump
02-27-2015, 08:52 PM
haha ^^^ a buddy of mine accidently called in a pack of 6 or 8 of em a couple years ago while calling for moose up near 100 mile. I was excited as he was telling me the story and I was like "sweet! how many did you smoke?" He says "NONE! I was scared shitless when I realized that they were surrounding me and all I had was 3 rounds in my 30-06!" He hightailed it out of there and back to his truck while he could.

Another buddy had a similar situation where he got fogged in and lost while draggning his dead buck out of the bush up behind Tunkwa. With one round left in his rifle he had no choice but to hunker down, build a fire and spend the night. get outta there in the morning. He was some scared when he had a pack surrounding and harrassing him at around 1:30 on the morning knowing that he only had one bullet.

Since hearing these two stories, I always bring at least a strip of 10 rnds with me when I leave my truck.

Cordillera
02-27-2015, 10:51 PM
It sounds cool but as I've posted before the science is pretty clear that you have to kill more than fifty percent of a wolf population to have any effect on ungulates. There are pack dynamics at play here, as well as the fact that a pack with ten wolves kills as frequently as a pack with eight or nine wolves (read bob Hayes book for an explanation of why). So any incentive program has to be enough to get a lot of hunters out there killing a lot of wolves. One random wolf taken in a population won't help, although it would look good on your wall.

250 sav
02-27-2015, 11:26 PM
Do like they do in some states when preds are an issue tranquilize some a put tags inside the ear worth 50- 10000 dollars hunters will target them hard in hopes of getting the big money ones

Argali
02-28-2015, 09:56 AM
Hunting was sufficient to eliminate wolves from much of Europe; however, it was generally necessary to either force big groups of people to participate in organized drives or provide substantial financial incentive to professonal hunters/trappers/den-robbers.

To be effective, bounties were large - averaging from 1 week to 1 month of salary of an average labourer. Applying that to B.C, an "effective historical wolf bounty" would be somewhere between $1000 to $4000. I would guess that:

At $1000/head, there would be a significant increase in wolf harvest.

At $2000/head, there would be a lot of heads.

At $4000/head, wolves would likely be exterminated from most of the province - and probably from neighbouring jurisdictions too.

But a mule deer doe tag? Probably not enough incentive to make much real difference.

tigrr
02-28-2015, 10:41 PM
Instead of paying a chopper $1700 an hour for 2 weeks of flying around. Post that money up for a better bounty payout.
Anybody have an idea of how many wolves in the province of BC?
Split a bounty of $200000 up between the number and watch the fur fly. I have found them really hard to hunt.

Wydtrak
02-28-2015, 11:17 PM
We got two possibly 3 out of a six pack today. How many of you guys that had a bison draw shot wolves?
http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/Wydtrak/library/Wolf%20Hunting

wideopenthrottle
04-02-2015, 03:32 PM
ammo is not all you should have with u...(I have half a box in a styro holder with one of my spare gloves around it to keep it quiet as well as a single bullet in several pockets (again to avoid jingle)...I carry a belt with two knifes (leatherman and uncle henry) a survival kit inc water purification tablets, first aid kit inc needle and thread, a bit of fishing line and a couple of hooks/lures as well as a permanent marker and a small waterproof note book, tp in some rubber gloves to keep it dry, a couple of small heavy plastic bags for heart and livers or to keep feet dry in emergency (liquor store ones are great) a couple of emergency snacks, a couple of short cords and a good strong 20' rope (I have towed many deer out this way by a loop on each end of the rope over the shoulders with the rope threaded through the back ankles, a spare pair of those magic mini gloves, at least two lighters, a spare compass (my silva -ranger only comes off my neck to sleep) or equivalent to a compass (a backtraker gps) a two way radio, 2 rolls of flag tape, 3 small flashlights and it all goes on my belt (two pouches)...I generally get 4-5 km from camp by foot on any given day (the later in the hunt, the deeper I will go)...and yes I was a Chief Scout as a kid so BE PREPARED.

wide

Steve W
04-02-2015, 05:13 PM
I think the idea has merit. In some states you get and automatic LEH draw if you report a violation and charges are laid - not a conviction. Reports of violations went way up. Doing little or nothing isn't helping at all.

scott h
04-03-2015, 04:07 PM
Allow hunters from other provinces and the states to hunt wolves without the requirements of a guide. Their seems to be plenty of interest in the USA for wolf hunting, but the exorbitant cost of a guided hunt is out of the reach of most.

Boner
04-03-2015, 04:33 PM
They should dress some hot famous broad in a wolf coat or shawl.

Honestly I'm just learning about the devastating effects a pack of wolves can do to ungulates, and how many they will take down over the winter. I'm trying to do my part.

Bunner
04-03-2015, 04:36 PM
So is there a bounty on wolves in the north peace? Anyone know?

ursusbait
04-04-2015, 11:07 AM
I think that more hunters should actively hunt wolves without needing an incentive. The incentive will be lower predator numbers and more of the things you want to shoot. Most hunters are the 'if i see one i'll shoot it' type. How many of us actively hunt them?

An incentive program would be great, but we should already be out killing the buggers regardless.

I agree 100%. make time if you can.

ratherbefishin
04-05-2015, 06:53 AM
Preditor control is the only factor available to individuals for the purposes of increasing game populations.One of the challenges is technique,I have certainly heard wolves,but never actually seen one in the bush.Perhaps if we had dedicated wolf hunts such as coyote hunters the success might improve.Wolves can certainly account for a lot of game,they virtualy decimated Vancouver Islands deer population in the 70's and it took decades to begin to recover

chilcotin hillbilly
04-05-2015, 08:24 AM
It is really interesting how my American clients comment on the lack of residents hunting predators in BC.

Everyone of them can't figure out why in a week of hunting never see anyone calling coyotes or wolves.they almost find it unbelievable. they claim we would be seeing a dozen or more teams a day anywhere in their state.

What really pisses is me off is all the trap line owners that don't use them. Only one traps in my area and that would only be two or 3 lynx sets, no wolf or coyote sets at all.

I have a unused trapline that surrounds my property wolves all over and yet I have to trap private land. 28 wolves in 4 years off a 150 acres, imagine if I could use the trapline behind my house.

One question to the thread owner. Why a doe. Region 5 maybe a second buck but never a doe. Does should be left for Junior or new hunters and seniors in my opinion.

Wild one
04-05-2015, 08:50 AM
It is really interesting how my American clients comment on the lack of residents hunting predators in BC.

Everyone of them can't figure out why in a week of hunting never see anyone calling coyotes or wolves.they almost find it unbelievable. they claim we would be seeing a dozen or more teams a day anywhere in their state.

What really pisses is me off is all the trap line owners that don't use them. Only one traps in my area and that would only be two or 3 lynx sets, no wolf or coyote sets at all.

I have a unused trapline that surrounds my property wolves all over and yet I have to trap private land. 28 wolves in 4 years off a 150 acres, imagine if I could use the trapline behind my house.

One question to the thread owner. Why a doe. Region 5 maybe a second buck but never a doe. Does should be left for Junior or new hunters and seniors in my opinion.

The trapline one pisses off a lot of guys who would like to be out there trapping. Lack of enforcement issues regarding the use it or loose it rule of trapline ownership are a problem.

The lack of predator hunters in BC seems to be a lack of interest or understanding of this hunting. It seems there are those with interest but know little about so they will not invest the time or $ in calls and other gear used. I would say in the last few years there has been an increase in predator hunters but numbers are still low. The other common one to come up is what to do with these predators after as well.

Personally don't support an incentive program like win a doe tag.

I would like to see trapline issues cleared up to make it possible for those who want to trap. Would even support a wolf or coyote quota added to traplines like Ontario has with beaver where they need to remove so many wolf or coyote to keep their line. Only if this was a reasonable number not over inflated.

Maybe the BCWF should consider putting on a predator hunter work shop where those interested could learn about calling, set up's and pelt prep.