PDA

View Full Version : Anyone not bring a stove while backpacking

Rob
02-27-2015, 11:41 AM
For those who dehydrate their own meals I guess you could get away without bring a stove, just wondering if anyone is doing this? No hot coffee in the morning though.lol

SeaScene
02-27-2015, 12:14 PM
Single burner Coleman available CDN tire a must....

02-27-2015, 12:37 PM
Yes I have done it BUT...... I knew I was in terrain that I could at ease start a fire ...... worked out fine .... take light plastic bags though to store your fire pot in .... it gets realy dirty with soot .... yes hot choc or coffee and porridge every morning

CT

Paulyman
02-27-2015, 12:38 PM
Pop can stove and alcohol as fuel, look it up on youtube.

Rob
02-27-2015, 12:52 PM
Was actually thinking no fire or stove, just re-hydrating meals you have already prepared at home with cold water etc. Obviously this would be an issue if temps dropped below zero but early August hunts..maybe. The only meal I need a stove for right now is dinner for having a hot re-hydrated meal, but does it need to be hot.

HD95
02-27-2015, 02:04 PM
Hot beverage of any sort on a true mountain hunt is required.Modern stoves do not weigh much.If weight is the reason for ditching a stove, I'd find the weight savings somewhere else.The little pleasures in the mountains mean alot,IMO

boxhitch
02-27-2015, 02:19 PM
There are food options that require no heating or cooking at all , so it's a matter of tastes and comforts.
Mountain Athlete products are complete nutrition in a pouch. The idea gets stale faster for some folk , but then again it is only for the hunt , a small part of life.
A bunch of hunting time is wasted in getting back to camp to make supper.

mudbud
02-27-2015, 02:34 PM
I take an esbit stove and 5-6 tablets. This is for dinners only for 2 people (home made dehydrated meals). Total weight is 4 oz, plus whatever pot you might have. For 2oz/person why wouldn't you take it? Guranteed you can slab pounds off of your "big 4" (tent, sleeping bag/pad, pack, rifle)

jtred
02-27-2015, 02:46 PM
The stove I use(Primus Ti) weighs very little, along with the pot/bowl/cup, and the gas bottle adds up to maybe pound. A hot cup of tea or a bowl of hot soup after a long wet/cold morning can make a very real difference to your morale and continuing on for the rest of the day. I don't think I'd ever go without a stove but then again I haven't gone much further than a days' hike in. Yet.

Moe.JKU
02-27-2015, 02:57 PM
I have only done minimal backpacking hunts, but i always bring my jetboil its something that the weight savings to me wouldn't be worth the sacrifice of hot food, or soup at the end of the day.

Rob
02-27-2015, 03:15 PM
not against bring a stove, i have a pocket rocket and a jetboil. be hard to not have the warm drinks though.

BiG Boar
02-27-2015, 04:05 PM
you could go barefoot too, but some things are just a bad idea.

Blockcaver
02-27-2015, 06:43 PM
I used to Bowhunt elk on 4 day back pack trips without a stove or cook pan. I'd dump cold water in the mountain house and let it sit for 20 minutes minimum. Sometimes it was a bit crunchy but tasted good. Any more I take my pocket rocket and titanium pan and enjoy a hot meal. NO stove and pot cuts a pound plus from your gear, depending on the fuel canister, stove, pan etc

Buck
02-27-2015, 07:42 PM
Guy I met in the mountains did not cook had no tent and did this for 3 weeks at a time.he definitely got to the top faster than me

Trekker
02-27-2015, 07:49 PM
I dont think I could give up a hot coffee in the morning and a warm meal at night. Id keep the cook kit and drop weight elsewhere. My opinion.

BTF
02-27-2015, 08:00 PM
I find the size and weight of my stove (Jet Boil) is well worth bringing for a few creature comforts.

BromBones
02-27-2015, 08:56 PM
A hot tea & whisky after a day spent in the rain and cold wind is worth packing the stove and fuel for.

I could go with all dry food and never complain but you gotta have a warmer-upper every now and then.

tomahawk
02-27-2015, 09:07 PM
a stove or fire will provide "comfort" drinks and meals, well worth there weight in gold!!

M.Dean
02-27-2015, 09:09 PM
No hot coffee in the morning??? I'd sooner leave my rifle and bullets at home before I left a stove and pot for coffee!

BimmerBob
02-27-2015, 09:11 PM
No hot coffee in the morning??? I'd sooner leave my rifle and bullets at home before I left a stove and pot for coffee!

Absolutely! ^^+++^^

35rem
03-07-2015, 09:06 PM
I always carry an Emberlit UL Titanium stove (http://www.emberlit.com/en/ultralight-titaniumcampingstovehiking-stove) in my back pack. At a mere 5.5 oz no reason to leave it home. I boil water in my Primus Ti mug that holds basic survival gear (compass, lighter, space blanket etc.)