PDA

View Full Version : Is there a calliper string release that you would recommend?

Seeker
02-26-2015, 09:56 PM
Hey gang, I was very fortunate to have inherited a Hoyt Sabretec from a family friend who was upgrading. Now I will be honest, I know next to didily when it comes to bows, so go easy on me. I took it down to Ken at Hardcore in Kelowna and a gentleman measured me up and had the draw length set and so on. I bought some arrows and broadheads (he sold me toxic, but I am a little skeptical on these, I am thinking I am going to grab something else) so I was all stoked to go out to my first archery night at Oceola. Well I went and lost my string release, so I am a little pissy right now. Did a quick search and couldn't find any recommendations on what I should be looking for. Any suggestions?

Ambush
02-26-2015, 10:02 PM
Scott SilverHorn. Open hook. Fast hook up and very handy for hunting since you don't have to look to get it on the loop.

mikeboehm
02-26-2015, 10:05 PM
Tru-ball Tru-ball Tru-ball Tru-ball Tru-ball Tru-ball Tru-ball Tru-ball Tru-ball Tru-ball Tru-ball Tru-ball

Seeker
02-26-2015, 10:08 PM
Do you like the solid swivel or nylon strap?

Ambush
02-26-2015, 10:13 PM
Do you like the solid swivel or nylon strap?

I have both. The strap is great because it induces no torque to the loop and can be tucked in your sleeve, out of the way. But the solid swivel is more user friendly on hook-ups. I prefer it most of the time now. I always have both with me. One on my wrist and the other in my pack.

Seeker
02-26-2015, 10:15 PM
sorry Mike I missed that....:razz: Thanks I'll check it out.

Seeker
02-26-2015, 10:16 PM
Yeah I am realizing the importance of having more than one :mad:

Eastbranch
02-26-2015, 10:24 PM
Fletch Hunter Shorty is my vote. Going strong for 12 years now. Always strap, especially for noobs, eliminates string torque. The open hooks like the silverhorn are nice units too. Make sure not to develop the 'slap' habit....get used to resting your finger on the trigger and squeezing like a rifle. Slapping the trigger leads to other bad habits like target panic!

Seeker
02-26-2015, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the leads guys, I will look into them and see what I come up with.

mikeboehm
02-26-2015, 10:53 PM
i use a 4 finger thumb release. http://truball.com/MaXPro4.html

mikeboehm
02-26-2015, 10:56 PM
but im thinking about buying this one http://truball.com/fang_handles.html

Jagermeister
02-27-2015, 12:18 AM
Fletch Hunter Shorty is my vote. Going strong for 12 years now. Always strap, especially for noobs, eliminates string torque. The open hooks like the silverhorn are nice units too. Make sure not to develop the 'slap' habit....get used to resting your finger on the trigger and squeezing like a rifle. Slapping the trigger leads to other bad habits like target panic!

What he said. I also lean toward Winn C-10. Had tru ball and others that are long gone.

Jagermeister
02-27-2015, 12:22 AM
I forgot. Some releases work only for what they were intended. String release on string and D-loop releases on D-loops only. You will see some releases that are designated string release but will work equally well on a D-loop. This latter would be the preferred as you still can shoot should you blow a D-loop.

donny.brooke
02-27-2015, 05:44 AM
You should look at the st 360 with rotating head it puts no twisting torque on the dloop at full draw. The release you show the link to is not a caliper style its a hook style. I prefer the hook style myself. Shortnsweet 2 is the one i use and love it. I seemed to get lazy after a while using a 4 finger release so i am a strap release user now strictly. Plus when its strapped to my wrist it cant get lost and when the temps get cold the 4 finger one got my fingers cold in a hurry as i wear thin gloves if any when i bow hunt

Foxtail
02-27-2015, 09:58 AM
I have a few but I keep going back to my TruFire Judge... It is the 360 buckle now. It is length adjustable, trigger weight adjustable, trigger angle adjustable and the head swivels 360 degrees independent from the trigger so it is very hard to torque the string. I like being able to move the trigger to whatever position I want. I gave my Scott little goose to my brother.

The Hermit
02-27-2015, 10:41 AM
I have tried the hook types and really really don;t like them... i find that they twist and I've actually had one pre-release (come unhooked) during the draw cycle... I just don't feel secure shooting them... probably better for better archers. ha

The Caliber is silky smooth, is light, not terribly cold, and has never failed me, except when I forgot it at home. Carry two now.

Jagermeister
02-27-2015, 11:05 AM
How many of you started right out the gate shooting bow with a release? And who started with fingers and tab?

Seeker
02-27-2015, 11:14 AM
So the differences between four finger releases and wrist straps I am sure is personal preference. Would one not be able to hold at draw for longer with a wrist strap? I would think that with the muscle tension required to hold the 4 finger release that shake would become an issue? Again I am very new to this. I have a D loop on my bow

BRvalley
03-16-2015, 11:17 AM
I'm using a truglo nitrus release with great results so far, new to compound and only had it a few weeks now but seems to do the job pretty good...I went with the nylon strap version and it has a ratcheting wrist strap

http://www.truglo.com/archery-releases/nitrus-release.asp?catid=810E9964BA6341C4A52D974E98CDB0E9