PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Observer Wolf Hunt Opinion

Ohwildwon
02-26-2015, 04:50 PM
Just another B S opinion?

http://www.vancouverobserver.com/opinion/opinion-christy-clark-isnt-protecting-bcs-caribou-and-killing-wolves-smokescreen (http://www.vancouverobserver.com/opinion/opinion-christy-clark-isnt-protecting-bcs-caribou-and-killing-wolves-smokescreen)

Dougielightning
02-26-2015, 05:15 PM
No science whatsoever. FLUFF. Nothing but FLUFF

Doostien
02-26-2015, 05:16 PM
I think this is another prime example that just because someone is an MD doesn't mean they know everything. This is more of an emotional appeal than anything fact based.

Reading this I get the very strong opinion the good Dr. is an NDP supporter and will say anything to cut Christy down. Seriously, if he wanted to talk about how the wolf cull might be ineffective thats one thing, but to write a piece that keeps saying 'the caribou are dying because of the liberals'? I mean come on.

I also hate how anyone opposed to the wolf cull keeps talking about how great the wolves are for yellowstone, though that seems to have a bit of contention around it. The situation in yellowstone is entirely different than the one in BC. They keep trying to compare apples to oranges.

The problem is more than wolves, but right now shooting wolves, something the writer agrees contributes to the caribou's decline, is the quickest and easiest thing to do. Its only a step, but it is a step in the right direction. All these people seem complacent to just say "well, they'll die anyway, why kill the wolves?" instead of AT LEAST trying to stop them from going extinct. If we don't at least try they will certainly disappear.

The Hermit
02-26-2015, 05:37 PM
Sadly I agree with the author that it is probably too little too late to save the Mountain Caribou, and that human incursion into the area is a large factor in their demise. The Government should indeed have stepped in a decade or more ago to cull wolves and limit access particularly in winter with snow mobiles.

I really dislike the anthropomorphic style as it distracts from the hard truths. Then there is this one http://www.vancouverobserver.com/news/coastal-guardian-watchmen-confront-armed-trophy-hunters-save-grizzlies that is just pure horseshit!

Stone Sheep Steve
02-26-2015, 05:45 PM
I agree with the fact that it might be too late...and now what I know about our govt blindly supporting business makes me wonder if they intentionally drug their heels on this one. Let the caribou go instinct and it's back to business as usual. Back to high country logging and back to widespread snowmobile tourism.

SSS

Vladimir Poutine
02-26-2015, 05:56 PM
I agree with the fact that it might be too late...and now what I know about our govt blindly supporting business makes me wonder if they intentionally drug their heels on this one. Let the caribou go instinct and it's back to business as usual. Back to high country logging and back to widespread snowmobile tourism.

SSS

I think they dragged their heels too long on this in the fear of the backlash of a wolf cull. They have waited far too long. Reports from hunters for over 5 years have been consistent about wolf predation, but as usual we were ignored. Who better to provide on the spot info from all areas of BC? The Gov waited and then let the bureaucrats decide on the timeline.

scoutlt1
02-26-2015, 06:26 PM
Warren Bell is a GP with an agenda. Yet another Suzuki lover.
An "expert" that has no idea of the real issues.
A really good read if you're an uniformed vegan who is loving life in the big city drinking fancy water, in bottles made from plastic (petroleum), flicks on the light switch without knowing how that power got there (what, maybe a fish killing dam or coal???), not wanting to eat any meat unless it was killed in some strange "humane" manner and wrapped in styrofoam and plastic, buying veggies that were grown in the Fraser Valley in a greenhouse under lights powered by natural gas, covered in plastic made with petroleum products from the USA, supported by steel from China, planted and harvested by workers from Mexico, trucked to stores by diesel (that shit is magic) powered trucks, loaded and unloaded by forklifts manufactured by cheap labour in China or Korea, powered by "fracked" propane, on pallets manufactured with (Oh my god!) wood from B.C....

Oh wait. Sorry. I didn't mean to post this.

The Vancouver Observer is right. So is Warren Bell, and so is David Suzuki.

My fault.

http://pesticidetruths.com/2013/04/10/canada-revenue-agency-against-warren-bell-charity-status-revoked-2013-04-03-2/

http://www.doctorsreview.com/features/green-healers/

Cub Driver
02-26-2015, 07:32 PM
We need to have proper scientific studies done. Consider this: the caribou are in decline everywhere. There is 6.5 million hectares inside the Muskwa Kechika managent area with very little industrial impact and very minimal vehicle access and the caribou have been declining since the late 1970's. Without doing proper research the reason for the decline will not be known. Could be in large part due to wold, grizzly and volverine predation. What is sorely lacking is the scientific management that government keeps referring to.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-26-2015, 08:03 PM
We need to have proper scientific studies done. Consider this: the caribou are in decline everywhere. There is 6.5 million hectares inside the Muskwa Kechika managent area with very little industrial impact and very minimal vehicle access and the caribou have been declining since the late 1970's. Without doing proper research the reason for the decline will not be known. Could be in large part due to wold, grizzly and volverine predation. What is sorely lacking is the scientific management that government keeps referring to.

They've studied the wetbelt caribou to death...literally.

The joke on the street was that the last collared caribou would be eaten by a collared wolf.

SSS

Cub Driver
02-26-2015, 08:23 PM
The studies for wet belt caribou is probably funded directly by the oil and gas industry or SEC fund from the oil and gas commission. All the studies will not help if proper changes are not made to the existing on the ground activities. Money talks; Caribou are probably doomed.

Cub Driver
02-26-2015, 09:01 PM
Caribou study in the Besa Prophet area of the Muska Kechika was conduct to inform Pretenure Planning for potential oil and gas exploration. The study made several recommendations including further studies on caribou predation from wolverine. http://muskwa-kechika.com/uploads/documents/wildlife-caribou/unbc_cariobu_besaprophet_part%201.pdf

40incher
02-26-2015, 09:07 PM
The anti-hunter/anti-motorized crowd can take full credit for the extinction of caribou in localized areas of mid to south BC ... predators have run rampant while the self interests pretend snowmobiles are the sole problem. Promoting their non-motorized backcountry skiing agenda in the process. They should be very proud of their accomplishments ... Not!!!

The MFLNRO bureaucrats are equally at fault ... taking 20 caribou from the Kawdy population to indirectly "save" the Selkirk remnants ... all they did was fly in room service for the over-populated predators in the that same area ... good job boys! Last time I heard 19 were dead and the last one went down to the U.S. of America. Killing predators back then, before the poorly-thought Kawdy transplant, may have been the answer! Instead we taxpayers paid hundreds of thousands of dollars, and harassed and killed pregnant cow caribou from the Kawdy herd to play this stupid game!!

Expect nothing to change if predators are not removed when needed.