PDA

View Full Version : Backpack hunters!

bc_buckshot
02-26-2015, 11:24 AM
Im recently in the works buying a pack and frame for a upcoming backpack hunt end of October. I am wondering what list of gear do you have as in tent, sleeping bag, cookingware, types of food ect.

Please list the gear and type and any important information.

Rob
02-26-2015, 11:34 AM
Lots of threads on this but it's fun nontheless..Im currently looking at Stone Glacier (just got off the phone with them actually)

tent- Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 2 man
sleeping bag-Mont Bell
stove- just bought a jet boil/still have my pocket rocket though
Food- dehydrate my own mainly

bassplayer
02-26-2015, 12:00 PM
Chris. You do realize that a backpack hunt means that you have to actually get off your quad or park your truck and walk. Try not to hurt yourself lol.

bc_buckshot
02-26-2015, 12:32 PM
Gary..Thank you for your kind gestures and concerns. I do realize i will have to put miles on my boots and not
my quad. But hey anytime on the quad is better than sleeping in and letting a trophy elk walk on in... But if your really concern maybe i can use you as a mule gary.....

Moe.JKU
02-26-2015, 01:01 PM
This setup was thrown together to get out there right away, with out waiting another year to save for the best stuff. It all works fine even though it might not be the best. All together $500.

Back pack - Camp Trails Elk Tracker
Tent - Eureka Midori 2 man
Pad - Thermarest Z lite Sol
Bag - Hotcore T-200
Stove - Jetboil Zip
Food - I'm still working out whats good. dehydrated food, mountain house, jerkey, etc

NORTHERN HUNTER
02-26-2015, 01:20 PM
Osprey backpack 105 L pack.....best thing you will ever buy.

Good Old Outdoors
02-26-2015, 01:29 PM
Pack Eberlestock J107 Dragonfly
Tent MSR Hubba Hubba NX2 3 lbs 7 Oz
Stove Jetboil Zip
Pad ultralight thermarest
Sleeping bag down army surplus
Food mountain house freeze dried food

Lots of money but worth every penny

02-26-2015, 01:29 PM
You will find lots on BP info under Sheep hunting threads...... good luck to you, the BP hunts are VERY rewarding !

CT

Brno22F
02-26-2015, 03:18 PM
If you are a Canadiangunnutz forum member, check out this thread. Lots of good info
http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1194205-Mountain-hunt-gear-Everything-but-the-gun/page3

This link may not work for you but if you go to the Hunting forum on CGN and look for the thread Mountain-hunt-gear-Everything-but the gun.
like I say- lotsa good info as well as recommendations to check out another website dedicated to mountain hunting Rokslide.com

Eastbranch
02-26-2015, 05:05 PM
Pack: Kuiu 7200
Tent: Mtn Hardware Skyledge 2.1
Bag: NF Cats Meow...need to upgrade
Pad: NeoAir XLite (get the women's it has a higher R value and is cheaper!)
Stove: MSR Reactor 1.7L (group) or Pocket Rocket + Snow Peak Ti (solo)
Grub: Mtn House, Denman Island Chocolate, trail mix, jerky
Water: Platypus hoser x2
Poles: Black Diamond Ultra Distance x2
Boots: Scarpa SL Active
Rifle: Custom Rem 700 .300sav 6.5#
Binos: Bushy Elite 10x42 + Kuiu harness
Spotter: Leupold GR 12-40x60
Tripod: Slik Sprint Mini
Clothes: Kuiu, merino and windstopper
Knives: Havalon + Mora
GPS: Garmin 60cx
Z-lite seat
Game bags
Electrical tape
Duct tape
Paracord
Siltarp
SPOT

Rob
02-26-2015, 06:06 PM
Pack: Kuiu 7200
Tent: Mtn Hardware Skyledge 2.1
Bag: NF Cats Meow...need to upgrade
Pad: NeoAir XLite (get the women's it has a higher R value and is cheaper!)
Stove: MSR Reactor 1.7L (group) or Pocket Rocket + Snow Peak Ti (solo)
Grub: Mtn House, Denman Island Chocolate, trail mix, jerky
Water: Platypus hoser x2
Poles: Black Diamond Ultra Distance x2
Boots: Scarpa SL Active
Rifle: Custom Rem 700 .300sav 6.5#
Binos: Bushy Elite 10x42 + Kuiu harness
Spotter: Leupold GR 12-40x60
Tripod: Slik Sprint Mini
Clothes: Kuiu, merino and windstopper
Knives: Havalon + Mora
GPS: Garmin 60cx
Z-lite seat
Game bags
Electrical tape
Duct tape
Paracord
Siltarp
SPOT

lol, I bought a therma rest a few years ago and decided on the womens as it was cheaper and had a higher r value...

Eastbranch
02-26-2015, 10:13 PM
Yup! They put the spec sheets right side by side in MEC too lol. You'd need a screw loose to buy the 'unisex' one.

Lastcar
02-26-2015, 11:34 PM
I use a cool site called lighterpack.com to keep track of my gear and build out lists for various trips by season, length, purpose etc.

Here is my master list. So this is everything I own. From this I create lists for the trips as described above.

http://lighterpack.com/r/evkzqe

"Personal" section needs some clean up.

Using this site I have realized how much weight I can pare down. In fact I have started selling off some things realizing they'll never make it in my pack again. All those ounces add up. I certainly avoid being uncomfortable or unsafe, but dang do we overpack and carry stuff we'll never need when given the chance. The what ifs and good ideas never end. Aron over at Rokslide has a good article on the Good Idea Fairy.

Coming to hunting from a backcountry hiking and camping background some of this came easier to me...but really turning 40 and the realities of not being 25 and not being able to be a stubborn pack mule was a far stronger motivation.

Last bit I am looking for is a Tipi and Stove set up. Have let a few good deals walk on here and Rokslide as I am still trying to wrap my head around the exact size I want...grateful to have dilemmas like this. :)

As others have mentioned, do the best you can. I have been lucky enough to scour the internets for deals and have done very well. Not much I've ever paid full price for.

No doubt I am a gear whore and spend way more than I should on gear...don't let my unhealthy spending on gear imply you shouldn't just get the best you can with the resources you have. Odds are you'll do as well or better than I will.

Check out that thread on the those guys on their sheep hunt with basically a blue tarp and a carton of smokes. Sure they had more than that, but my version sounds way better. :)

I am still in awe of those three. Some smarts, teamwork, determination, and timing can kick the crap out of any fancy gear any day. Those boys proved that and their story is fantastic. Granted they admitted could have gotten into some trouble with the weather, they pulled it off and I am sure won't make that mistake again.