PDA

View Full Version : Spring turkey help

russm
02-26-2015, 11:11 AM
After narrowly getting skunked by a flock in the fall I've gotten the turkey itch, basically wondering what kind of pointers I could get for a spring turkey hunt, I managed to find them in a few places but one of them is way too far to go just for a turkey, I know they can be found around rock creek grand forks etc I'm just wondering what sort of habitat I should be looking for come spring time, is it different than in the fall? Should I go all out and do the full cammo, decoy, ground blind or try and road hunt them? Any help would be great, feel free to PM also, thanks, Russ.

300H&H
02-27-2015, 02:09 PM
Spring and fall hunts are very different.
In the springs turkeys are looking for "new" food... ...like grass. It is close to the snow line. Good hint there.
I have found that a week before opening morning the birds are in one area but a week later they have migrated to a totally new area.
If you can do some scouting a few days before the opener, look for a roosting tree, that's a good start, then find the morning travel route and step up accordingly.
I find birds from dry...pine covered hills to wet creek bottoms. The old saying "they are where you find them" is very true.
Good luck & practice your calling !!!

If you need info just PM me.

Good Old Outdoors
02-27-2015, 02:35 PM
My best advice would be listen to the advice given here, I was totally knew to turkey hunting 3 years ago. I asked the questions, went to a turkey calling/ info event at grouse river outfitters and did some scouting. The good people on here like 300H&H, Brez, and BCBrez just to name a few passed on a wealth of knowledge to me and some were even kind enough to show their spots and invite me into their home after a couple days of heavy rain. I owe my experience and techniques to them. Now it's hard for me to get down there for turkey but I'm addicted to it so I will find a way.

300H&H
02-27-2015, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the kind words Good Old Outdoors... ...I appreciate it.