PDA

View Full Version : Welcoming new hunters

avadad
02-25-2015, 10:56 PM
Here's an article on the profile of some of the new hunters entering our sport. Personally I have noticed a good deal more people are curious about learning how to begin. I have taken a few under my wing and I have found it to be very satisfying to help someone get their first animal and then watch the obsession take root. Years ago I mentored my neighbour…he was a vegan at the time! He got a nice buck his first year and has killed at least one for every year he has been hunting.

http://sportingclassicsdaily.com/issue/2015-1/article/the-rise-of-hipster-hunters

bridger
02-25-2015, 11:15 PM
Nice post. Interesting article.

avadad
02-26-2015, 10:42 AM
I think so...

ducktoller
02-26-2015, 08:22 PM
Not every socialy minded city person is a hipster

No one in my family hunts I think it's more a general jadedness with modern life and a desire to detach from a detached digital world :)

Faw
03-01-2015, 10:54 PM
My first post. I hate hipsters but I did just get my core and pal all wrapped up. Hope that doesn't make me a hipster lol.

ajr5406
03-02-2015, 06:41 AM
Not every socialy minded city person is a hipster

No one in my family hunts I think it's more a general jadedness with modern life and a desire to detach from a detached digital world :)

X2. The last thing I want to be called is a hipster.

KBC
03-02-2015, 06:49 AM
Although I fit the description in that article, I sure hope I'm not a hipster...

deer nut
03-02-2015, 08:16 AM
One of the things this new crop need to learn is the ethics of hunting, particularly when/ if they encounter other hunters. The comment about hipster hunters fouling other's hunts hit home for me; happened a few times to me last season. From rudeness or just lack of awareness I'm not sure.....and yes, I need to go further afield!

ducktoller
03-02-2015, 07:31 PM
One of the things this new crop need to learn is the ethics of hunting, particularly when/ if they encounter other hunters. The comment about hipster hunters fouling other's hunts hit home for me; happened a few times to me last season. From rudeness or just lack of awareness I'm not sure.....and yes, I need to go further afield!

I think it happens with everyone. Especially in busier places. I guess it's attitude I've walked into meadows heard the "whistle" from someone and backed out hoping i didn't scare off their game. Had the same thing happen to me though the other way.