PDA

View Full Version : Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier

Rob
02-25-2015, 06:07 PM
Man how is a guy suppose to pick one! lol...I liked the Kuiu 7200, but with all the extra added cost your right in the next level of packs.

BCHoyt
02-25-2015, 06:29 PM
Plus kuiu packs dont get near as good reviews as the others... Myself, I am ordering the Stone Glacier Sky Archer after months of reading and research.. And talking to Kurt at Stone Glacier as well..

Rob
02-25-2015, 06:40 PM
Are you getting the Sky 7400?

Hombre
02-25-2015, 07:14 PM
There is also Exo Mountain Gear to put on the list! Not as large capacity ' but looks like a quality pack.

Tīɡ
02-25-2015, 07:46 PM
Eberlestock! That's my 2 cents....

Stone C. Killer
02-25-2015, 07:55 PM
Don't bother with any of those... just get the barneys

604redneck
02-25-2015, 08:15 PM
I also would like to try either of those but have heard alot of good about the stone glaciers. I will never buy another eberlestock or badlands other than there smaller packs. I use an osprey xenith 105 now and a badlands 2800 for a day pack and have tried alot of others and ended up selling almost all of them. Im a pack whore.

plumbcrazy
02-25-2015, 08:32 PM
I bought the Sky 7400 last spring. I enjoy not packing a heavy old pack, but still can pack all the gear and mountain game I can. Just compare the weight diference. im sure glad i spent the money. The only way to go! I do still use the old Wilderness Wonderer for packing moose quarters though.
crazy out

Fred1
02-25-2015, 08:50 PM
Day in day out = Mystery Ranch - you cant break 'em and best comfort and versatility. (I have three - the 6500 is prolly the most versatile, Metcalf is good too). If you are a packer and packing quarters day in day out = Barneys. Personally I have never packed more than 50-60lbs a few feet in a living room and up some stairs with a Barneys, but the two guys I know who work 'em, like them best for the heavy loads. From my limited hands-on/exposure to a Barneys I can understand this - its a workers pack. Don't bother with a good pack, get a great one! I have an old trapper nelson that will get you through... ;)

Trekker
02-25-2015, 09:07 PM
I switched from MR to Kifaru for two reasons. MR's frame is short and the load lifters are useless when using the load hauler or smaller bags, specially when your a tall dude. MR would only ship me stuff with fedex and there shipping/brokerage fees are outrageous. The stone glaciers look bad ass and seems people have lots of good things to say about them.

300rum700
02-25-2015, 09:38 PM
I was lucky and had both a MR Nice 7500 and a kifaru Bikini Frame with a Duplex timberline 1 bag at my disposal before I made the big leap( I owned eberlestocks and Badlands before that) and the kifaru is hands down more comfortable and just as durable ( made from the same 500d cordura) as the MR. Better load lifters let you stand upright and a better waist belt take the load almost completely off your shoulders. Also their customer service is probably the best in the business, which it need to be because fitting them can be a little tricky and takes some time. Currently own a Duplex frame with a EMR II and love it.

SR80
02-26-2015, 08:20 AM
Man how is a guy suppose to pick one! lol...I liked the Kuiu 7200, but with all the extra added cost your right in the next level of packs.

Im not a fan of the kuiu packs, I owned a ultra 6000 for a few weeks and sold it after finding the mis sewn shoulder straps, poor seam construction and a torn bag 3 days after owning it. I have a MR6500 and used it last year, love this pack, but its a bit heavy compared to the new stuff coming out these days. There is a lot of hype about a new pack MR is supposed to be releasing soon though. Being the gear whore that I am I had to try a SG, so last sept i ordered and solo and used it for a day pack and a couple weekend overnighters. Love this pack, so I ordered a sky archer 6200 which is going to be perfect for me. I thought the 5100 would be too small and the 7400 too big for me for a 10-12 day trip. Great customer service at SG too. I dont have any experience with kifaru though..yet. Here are some pics of the archer loaded full. The frame is so easily customizable that I think it could fit anyone. I find it more comfortable than my MR now that I have it dialed in.

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/scottreidy/20150205_213011_zpsnlcjmp7m.jpg (http://s996.photobucket.com/user/scottreidy/media/20150205_213011_zpsnlcjmp7m.jpg.html)

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/scottreidy/20150205_213140_zpsszoch6zb.jpg (http://s996.photobucket.com/user/scottreidy/media/20150205_213140_zpsszoch6zb.jpg.html)

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/scottreidy/20150205_213224_zpsxul1clcf.jpg (http://s996.photobucket.com/user/scottreidy/media/20150205_213224_zpsxul1clcf.jpg.html)

Oh and here is one of a broken kuiu frame (their new fancy frame)

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/scottreidy/DSC_00021_zpssfszqney.jpeg (http://s996.photobucket.com/user/scottreidy/media/DSC_00021_zpssfszqney.jpeg.html)

mddat
02-26-2015, 10:47 AM
I have the sky 5100, I mostly use it in bivy mode which runs around 3500 cu in. It's easy to convert back to the full size, also bought a access bag so I have about 6000 cu in. If I need it plus load shelf. Pack is super comfortable and light. Bought this pack after doing lots of research and from the advice of SR80, who's tried lots of packs. You won't be disappointed with an SG

Rob
02-26-2015, 11:23 AM
Wondering if the 7500 would be too much(if thats possible,lol). Just got off the phone with SG, liking what im hearing so far. That 6200 looks huge

300rum700
02-26-2015, 01:19 PM
Wondering if the 7500 would be too much(if thats possible,lol). Just got off the phone with SG, liking what im hearing so far. That 6200 looks huge

7400 is not too big, they compress really well and if you ever have an animal down the extra space is used up really quickly. I consider 7500 ish the minimum for an extended hunt and once you factor in the few extra dollars and ounces over the smaller packs it only makes sense. I've done hunts to with 4500-6000 ci packs and its a chore to get everything in and load slings make heavy pack out very uncomfortable IMO, it's more comfortable and easier to have everything in the main bag and not have everything strapped to the outside of the pack.

Rob
02-26-2015, 07:14 PM
Well, think I made the decision to go with the Stone Glacier 7400 Sky pack. Spoke with them today, seem like a decent bunch of guys, Hoping i made the right choice with accessories its $1000, not cheap but after selling the dragonfly I'm needing a pack, lol. Like the weight of the pack, hopefully it doesn't compromise with heavier loads. Still liked the Icon Pro by Kuiu but don't even want to go that route after hearing the bad reviews and added $.

SR80
02-27-2015, 07:54 AM
Yeah, its too bad with the dollar being so low right now. But...no duty. And if your lucky, no tax. I think you'll like it. Most do.

Obi-wanshinobi
02-27-2015, 01:43 PM
With the way the dollar has dropped, I'm gonna wait and buy used. I was putting a Kifaru order together and it already topped $1k and I still didn't get everything I wanted. I think the re-sale value on high end packs is starting to slowly drop. I've seen Kifaru's and SG's for under $500 lately.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-17-2015, 12:12 AM
WOW. 1000 bucks for the Stone Glacier 7400 and the extras ? excatly what all did you buy Rob if you dont mind me asking . the complete list and price please . i would love a 6200 . i think it would be sweet . i think it would be perfect for me .If anyone has one For Sale i would love to hear from you .

BCHoyt
03-17-2015, 05:17 AM
Im looking at close to a grand for the sky archer and goodies... Ordering next month..

SR80
03-17-2015, 06:33 AM
I might...just might know of a sky archer, solo , krux frame and a bunch of accessories that will be going up for sale within a month or two....

Bighorn hunter
03-17-2015, 06:41 AM
I ordered the Kifaru emrII last fall and received for under the tree:). Can't wait to try it out this season. Own several other Kifaru packs and all have been great. Only thing I would ask them to change would be more padding in the shoulder straps for the heavy loads

cheers
bh

skuntor
03-17-2015, 06:42 AM
Anyone ever tried any arcteryx leaf packs? They look like would do the job.
http://leaf.arcteryx.com/ProductFind.aspx?language=EN&category=Packs_and_Travel_Systems

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
03-17-2015, 08:13 AM
Got to put my hands on a sg pack at the sheep show last weekend not many pockets, thin shoulder pads , I think the Barney's pack is the king for extended trips.

Rob
03-17-2015, 09:02 AM
I ended up ordering the KIfaru T1 with duplex frame and a bunch of lil accessories

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-17-2015, 01:56 PM
ohh i thought you said you order a SG . yes i would love to look over a SG SKy Archer if one is comes on the the market with in driving distance .PM me please

300rum700
03-18-2015, 04:54 PM
ohh i thought you said you order a SG . yes i would love to look over a SG SKy Archer if one is comes on the the market with in driving distance .PM me please

You could probably order one and pay return shipping if you don't like it for less than you'll pay in gas looking at someone else.... Just sayin :)

Rob
03-18-2015, 05:47 PM

Yup Was all set to order a SG but looked a little harder at the Kifaru and went with that instead....

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-18-2015, 05:58 PM
Damm now you got me thinking about Kifaru . let me know how it is when it hits your hands. .sounds like the SG has thin shoulder harness. i dont think im going to like that ..

swampthing
03-18-2015, 06:17 PM
I just received my kuiu 5200 pro. There was no duty on it, just had to pay exchange n shippin. $560 to my door. I love my eberlestock dragonfly and to replace it would cost about $469 plus $60 for the superspike duffel you have to have plus tax is about $590. Packs aint cheap anymore.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-18-2015, 08:11 PM
ya nothing is . i just paid 525 plus tax for boots .! but we dont think of it like that . its the sport . we will pay it , and like it .!. lol .

goinghunting
03-18-2015, 11:33 PM
Depends what type of hunting your doing with this pack. Im a gear horder and have a mr, kifaru and sg. For long backpack sheep or muledeer I prefer the stone glacier its comfortable and light. But really like the kifaru duplex with emr11 for elk hunting.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-19-2015, 08:28 PM
well i would like a good multi-day Big Game pack . So ya . Decisions Decisions ..

Cordillera
03-20-2015, 08:35 PM
I went with the kuiu icon pro 1850 and ultra 6000 bag. The total bill was just over 700 cdn. I liked the configuration of the kuiu stuff. I wanted a pack for day trips (the 1850) and backpack hunts (the 6000). It takes two ministers to change bags. The load sling mode on the 1850 is bomber stable.

I've loaded it up around the house and the quality looks good. Morning walks with fifty pounds and it feels good. Very flexible.

It needs a hard hunt to field test but so far I'm satisfied.

goinghunting
03-20-2015, 08:44 PM
well i would like a good multi-day Big Game pack . So ya . Decisions Decisions ..

Pretty tuff to beat the kifaru duplex with emr 11 or mystery ranch crewcab with a lift kit for just about anything.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-22-2015, 03:30 PM
well im in the market for something so any member have something they think i might be interested in . PM.thanks

Rob
04-22-2015, 04:23 PM
My Kifaru timberline with duplex frame came in today, Have to say Im pretty impressed with it, 90% of my gear in it (Not food) and it still has a lot of room left. the waist belt is really comfortable. The side pockets don't have zippered tops they have a cinch strap, thought it would be an issue but place my dry bag in there and its all good. Wasn't cheap but I think it is worth the investment.

Rob

KodiakHntr
04-22-2015, 04:55 PM
Looks like MR updated their website in the last day or two, and dropped some bags from the line up (6500/7500)...They did release a new 6700 cu in bag though, that looks pretty much exactly like the 6500, but 5lbs lighter.

Awfully tempted to try a SG or Kifaru though.

mcrae
04-22-2015, 05:19 PM
Looks like MR updated their website in the last day or two, and dropped some bags from the line up (6500/7500)...They did release a new 6700 cu in bag though, that looks pretty much exactly like the 6500, but 5lbs lighter.

Awfully tempted to try a SG or Kifaru though.

The catch though with MR is you cant buy just a bag anymore....

They are only selling as full kits now...

boonerbucks
04-22-2015, 05:33 PM
I got a stone glacier sky 7400 this year and so far love it, I have only used it for day trips shed hunting but have thrown some decent weight in there and she packs like a dream no issues with the shoulder pads

KodiakHntr
04-22-2015, 05:39 PM

Wonder if that would be the same if a guy called and talked to a real person? Not that it matters to me, I think I'd try something else the next go round. Pretty sure I don't need ANOTHER ranch bag to add to the collection..... Although I guess one never knows...

Will say that I'm a touch disappointed after all the hush hush internet rumors about MR releasing a new lightweight bag. 7lbs 15oz isn't exactly lightweight.

BgBlkDg
04-22-2015, 05:54 PM
No, but, I have never used or owned a pack that is as durable as the dozen or so from Dana, that I have purchased since my first in 1978. I like some other packs, but, always go back to MR or minty, used DD models as I have had packs break down on trips I waited years to undertake.

I suspect that MR would probably sell just a bag to a customer, but, the issue would be getting it into Canada, without paying half the original cost in various shipping, taxes, etc. I am very close to Sumas border crossing and can/will help you on this is you decide to try to get just a bag.

I am sorry to see the major cutback in MR's list of products, but, business is business and they gotta sell what makes them $$$$$.

I am seriously wanting a Paradox Unaweep Exposure as I have five HD DD and MR packs and do not need another. This is light, panel loading and should work well for old gimps like me. It weighs about half what the new MR Marshall does, but, only time will tell about the durability??????

sky-gunner
04-22-2015, 05:56 PM
I just picked up a elberlestock v69 destroyer, so far i absolutely love it.

mcrae
04-22-2015, 06:29 PM
Wonder if that would be the same if a guy called and talked to a real person? Not that it matters to me, I think I'd try something else the next go round. Pretty sure I don't need ANOTHER ranch bag to add to the collection..... Although I guess one never knows...

Will say that I'm a touch disappointed after all the hush hush internet rumors about MR releasing a new lightweight bag. 7lbs 15oz isn't exactly lightweight.

Nope I called and talked to them and then swapped a bunch of emails they wouldn't budge on it.... They told me they are selling as full kits only. I had to buy another frame to get the Marshall. Rampart International imports all Mystery Ranch stuff so I had to go thru them and they told me the same thing. I have a Marshall on the way Mystery Ranch shipped it up to Rampart who are then sending it to me.

Rackmastr
04-22-2015, 06:43 PM

MR has addressed this online, its just a temporary phase-in on their website and sounds like in time you'll be able to buy the bag/frame separate again, but not for now. Andrew put a post on Onyourownadventures and certainly made it sound like in time this would be an option as well (he referenced for fall hunts it would be a possibility for timing)

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=263169

Either way, I made the switch from MR to Kifaru a couple years back and couldnt be happier. MR treated me well for several years but Kifaru fits me so much better and has worked and made heavy loads so much comfier since switching.

Lots of good options out there at least!

Andrewh
04-23-2015, 08:35 AM
I called CS yesterday and they told me that with the new 'business model' they are adopting will not sell them separately. He said that this will allow them to be more innovative and specialize each pack.

It makes no sense to me though, why would you force a customer to buy two of the same item if they want a Marshell and a Metcalf. I even asked if I placed an order for both a Marshell and Metcalf at the same time if I would need to buy two NICE frames and he replied yes.

BgBlkDg
04-23-2015, 08:50 AM
NOT my idea of a "good" way to do business, but, perhaps their military sales are so important that we hunters are not really a consideration in fiscal terms.

Dunno, don't care, have more packs now than I need and they will do me until I cant hunt anymore.

fuzzy
05-09-2015, 06:28 PM
I emailed mystery ranch, you can still buy the packs and bags separate, you just have to call. There new website sucks. Not to sure when you talked to them Andrew but I have a feeling they made some dumb business decisions and now are scrambling to not lose there's market share as there are a lot of pissed customers.

Andrewh
05-10-2015, 10:10 PM
I emailed mystery ranch, you can still buy the packs and bags separate, you just have to call. There new website sucks. Not to sure when you talked to them Andrew but I have a feeling they made some dumb business decisions and now are scrambling to not lose there's market share as there are a lot of pissed customers.

Ya I am sure I wasn't the only person that they had to explain this to and they finally gave in. Made no sense to me and I am glad they are back pedalling.

OceanMon
07-07-2017, 10:14 AM
After intensive online research...buying an Alps Outdoorz Commander X, trying it out, and then returning it....I just decided to buy the SG Talus 6900. I feel like I'm insane for spending $1050 for a bag...I hope it is worth it. Thanks for all the feedback on this site.

SR80
07-08-2017, 07:14 AM
After intensive online research...buying an Alps Outdoorz Commander X, trying it out, and then returning it....I just decided to buy the SG Talus 6900. I feel like I'm insane for spending $1050 for a bag...I hope it is worth it. Thanks for all the feedback on this site.

you get what you pay for, not only with a great pack but great customer service. Those guys will go out of their way to make sure you're happy and that pack is fitting the way it should.