PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Wild Turkey Federation

huntwriter
02-25-2015, 08:18 AM
Posted by permission of the forum owner.

Last year the U.S. based National Wild Turkey Federation pulled out of Canada. The void they left has now been filled by our very own Canadian Wild Turkey Federation (CWTF).

The mission statement of the CWTF is:

To promote the establishment, restoration, preservation and sustainable management of wild turkeys and their habitats in Canada.
To develop programs and engage in projects to establish, restore, preserve and enhance wild turkey hunting practices, traditions and heritage.
To promote responsible wild turkey hunting practices, traditions and heritage.
To work with Governments, organizations and others to develop programs and engage in projects to protect and enhance wildlife habitat.
To promote conservation, hunting, fishing, and other outdoor and wildlife oriented activities.
To host, sponsor and promote educational, social, exhibition and other events for members and the public.

In the short time of its existence the CWTF has established numerous chapters across Canada and continues to grow. The CWTF is a not-for-profit organization.

If you're interested in the conservation of our wild turkey populations and a bright future for turkey hunters join the CWTF. For more information or to sign up as member visit the CWTF Website (http://www.cwtf.ca/index.php). Visit the CWTF Facebook site (https://www.facebook.com/canadianwildturkeyfederation).

As a CWTF member you're also a member of the new CWTF British Columbia Chapter (https://www.facebook.com/pages/CWTF-British-Columbia/1487309564831187?sk=timeline). For more information about the CWTF BC Chapter contact us at; cwtfbc@yahho.ca

(cwtfbc@yahho.ca)

CatsPreb
02-25-2015, 08:34 AM
Meanwhile them dam yankes took our money and did nothing for us once again Hmm sounds familiar Maybe RMEF!

huntwriter
02-25-2015, 09:20 AM
I don't know what makes you say that. The National Wild Turkey Federation did a great job for Canadian turkey conservation. The reason they pulled out of Canada is because they felt that with arising conservation concerns in several Sates of the USA they should spend more time and effort there than here in Canada. As a Canadian I am proud that we now have our very own not-for-profit Wild Turkey Federation to protect and enhance Canadian wild turkey populations.

bighornbob
02-25-2015, 09:49 AM
Just checked out the BC page and it mentions conservation concerns in numerous posts and messages. What are the conservation concerns in regards to Turkeys in BC.

To me the things are spreading like wildfire. From the basic LEH hunt in only the Creston area to a spring and fall season in the Kootenays and the Okanagan. These zones even have a any turkey season. I have even heard of people starting to see them in Region 3.

To me it sounds like there is little conservation concern for Turkeys in BC.

BHB

ACB
02-25-2015, 11:10 AM
Wild turkeys were never native to B.C., they migrated north from enhanced turkeys from Idaho, Montana and possibly Washington state. These wild turkeys are mostly using habitat that native Sharptail, Ruffed and Blue grouse would use. A 20lb. turkey eat's a hell of lot more grass,clover,bug's or what ever else they can chase down compared to a 1&1/2lb grouse. I'm just very concerned about are wild grouse populations in regions 4&3 a lot more than turkey conservation in area's they were never native to. Just have a look at the numbers of grouse compared to the evasive turkey. Which one is increasing and which one is declining, see Sharptail Grouse.

ACB
02-25-2015, 11:14 AM
I might of meant regions 4&8 not region 4&3.

coach
02-25-2015, 10:45 PM
I don't really know how I feel about this. Not so sure we need to be doing anything to assist invasive species. On another note, I talked to a friend of my neighbour when said he attended one of the CWTF meetings and was appalled at the number of F-bombs and racist comments he heard in the room. Definitely didn't sound family friendly.

The Dawg
02-25-2015, 10:58 PM
I don't really know how I feel about this. Not so sure we need to be doing anything to assist invasive species. On another note, I talked to a friend of my neighbour when said he attended one of the CWTF meetings and was appalled at the number of F-bombs and racist comments he heard in the room. Definitely didn't sound family friendly.

I heard that too.

Dont want to give up my source though.

huntwriter
02-26-2015, 06:14 AM
On another note, I talked to a friend of my neighbour when said he attended one of the CWTF meetings and was appalled at the number of F-bombs and racist comments he heard in the room. Definitely didn't sound family friendly.

I think you mix that up with a former NWTF chapter in the Kootenays. I heard unflattering things about them too, but they were not affiliated with the CWTF (Canadian Wild Turkey Federation) but with the NWTF (National Wild Turkey Federation) and folded when the organization pulled out of Canada. The CWTF only just started in the last two weeks to reach out to western Canada and is now in the process of setting up a chapter in British Columbia.

tuner
02-26-2015, 09:08 AM
We ran into a big flock on west pavilion Rd near lilloett some years back,no idea if they rere transplanted or how they got there. They rushed over to the truck when we stopped to check them out.

Wild one
02-26-2015, 09:12 AM
We ran into a big flock on west pavilion Rd near lilloett some years back,no idea if they rere transplanted or how they got there. They rushed over to the truck when we stopped to check them out.

I have pics of turkeys in this area was shocked to see them as well

huntwriter
02-26-2015, 09:22 AM

Most likely they were of the domesticated variety. Wild turkeys do not run up to trucks to check them out.

It seems that there are a few abandoned or escaped domesticated turkey sightings in region 3, all the pictures that have been shown to me for identification of these birds are of the domesticated variety.

OutWest
02-26-2015, 09:28 AM
Most likely they were of the domesticated variety. Wild turkeys do not run up to trucks to check them out.

It seems that there are a few abandoned or escaped domesticated turkey sightings in region 3, all the pictures that have been shown to me for identification of these birds are of the domesticated variety.

I had the same thing as Tuner described happen to me in Region 8. So yes, wild turkeys do run up to trucks.

coach
02-26-2015, 09:33 AM
I had the same thing as Wild One described happen to me in Region 8. So yes, wild turkeys do run up to trucks.

Hybrids, maybe?

Wild one
02-26-2015, 09:37 AM

They never ran up to my truck

Would not be shocked if they were escaped domesticated turkey in region 3 but I have been close enough for pics of turkey in region 8-12 and 8-14 as well so I would not say they are too smart to get pics of.

Not a turkey expert only know if they are white they are 100% domestic

Fisher-Dude
02-26-2015, 09:43 AM
Invasive species.

The number one complaint animal in California for problem wildlife? Wild turkeys.

Ever seen what turkeys do to agriculture? Ever seen what turkey shit does to car paint?

Kill 'em and grill 'em.

huntwriter
02-26-2015, 09:02 PM
Ever seen what turkeys do to agriculture?

In 2010 the NWTF did an extensive study (http://wildturkeyfever.blogspot.ca/2011/09/are-wild-turkeys-impacting-east.html) on exactly that topic in the Kootnenays. The CWTF is interested in extending such and other studies in the future here in BC and other provinces across Canada.

britman101
02-27-2015, 02:16 AM
Just as a side note here, do not assume that all non-white turkeys are wild. There are domesticated breeds such as the bronze and others which have colors varying from shades of reddish brown. Some farmers do free range their birds on their property and they would be pretty choked if they found out their birds had been shot.

boblly1
02-27-2015, 07:25 AM
if you think sharptail grouse are in trouble try hunting grouse on Vancouver island without a dog I have hunted for three years seen maybe a days bag limit in that time and only two blues that's not even funny

300H&H
02-27-2015, 01:59 PM
Just 45 days until opening morning.

snortwheez
03-24-2015, 09:02 PM
Our chapter is holding the first CWTF Hunter Heritage Banquet dinner in Ontario April 11 and looking forward to it!...... :)
April 27 cannot get here quick enough for me! I'm a turkey hunting JUNKIE!!