PDA

View Full Version : Nice 4x3 buck I got this year.

Paulyman
02-23-2015, 10:58 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_0294.jpg

A little late posting this Successful hunt up here on HBC. This guy was a resident of a nearby corn farm and although not the biggest antlers for a good sized bodied 4x3 by far the best tasting deer meat I've ever had. Got him just outside of Kamloops.

tinhorse
02-23-2015, 11:00 PM
Corn fed deer...yummy...doesn't get much better than that! Nice one.

Everett
02-23-2015, 11:06 PM
Corn fed deer that sound delicious.

Paulyman
02-23-2015, 11:07 PM
Most deer i've had over the years usually has at least a small amount of gamey flavour, this one was off the chart fabulous.

srupp
02-23-2015, 11:11 PM
Hmmm congradulations....good to come to the hunting forum and see success.
Thanks for sharing..
Bon appetite..
Srupp

hunter1947
02-24-2015, 06:37 AM
Will be a good eater ,,congrats to you..

Liveforthehunt
02-24-2015, 08:41 AM
Most deer i've had over the years usually has at least a small amount of gamey flavour, this one was off the chart fabulous.

Try shooting a whitetail and you wont have that issue... muleys tend to just not be as tasty as whiteys. Got 3 this year between my old man myself and ten year old brother 2-4 points one 2 point .. all steals melt in your mouth tasty with no gamey taste ...

Fisher-Dude
02-24-2015, 09:49 AM
Try shooting a whitetail and you wont have that issue... muleys tend to just not be as tasty as whiteys.

September and October mule deer are some of the best eatin' deer. WT are good, but a young early season mule deer is terrific.

avadad
02-24-2015, 10:56 AM
September and October mule deer are some of the best eatin' deer. WT are good, but a young early season mule deer is terrific.

Agreed. My buddies young october mulie has been a fantastic eater. Has totally shifted my idea's about eating mule deer. Its going to be a priority to kill one early.

Liveforthehunt
02-24-2015, 11:53 AM

So your telling me you prefer an early season muley over whitey ??? Hmm you would have to be one of the first and I have shot alot of deer in my time early season as in September first youth season muley 2 points spikers and can truly say they just aren't as tender and tasty .... idno if gamey is the word. This is with handling my animals with all do care very clean and straight to the cooler. Don't get me wrong if the freezer is empty I'll take a small muley but personal preference maybe greasy muley is the word ;)

02-24-2015, 12:21 PM
Good eater there Paulyman .... congrats

tuner
02-24-2015, 12:44 PM
If you hunt eastern region 8 or region 4 a delicious mule deer spike is no longer an option for the table,thanks to GO's lobbying, that got the season scraped. Have to admit that for me,WT is preferable. Eating scrub brush Mulies as a kid in the okanagan has probably tainted my tastebuds.

Husky7mm
02-24-2015, 01:51 PM

Not just the young ones..... Even better if its on sept 1 in velvet. Just delicious!!!

Fisher-Dude
02-24-2015, 03:21 PM
So your telling me you prefer an early season muley over whitey ??? Hmm you would have to be one of the first and I have shot alot of deer in my time early season as in September first youth season muley 2 points spikers and can truly say they just aren't as tender and tasty .... idno if gamey is the word. This is with handling my animals with all do care very clean and straight to the cooler. Don't get me wrong if the freezer is empty I'll take a small muley but personal preference maybe greasy muley is the word ;)

Old timer I know (he's chasing down 85 years now I think) is of the same opinion. He focuses on getting that 2 point in the freezer in early October.

Sofa King
02-24-2015, 11:05 PM
mule deer is my fav of all time animal.
but, the best deer I've ever ate was my last whitetail.
even though it was a November buck.

Paulyman
02-24-2015, 11:15 PM
Did it drop when you shot it or run .
Most of the time the gamy taste is adrenalin in the meat from it running after the shot

Dropped dead in it's tracks.

ursusbait
02-26-2015, 08:56 AM
Did it drop when you shot it or run .
Most of the time the gamy taste is adrenalin in the meat from it running after the shot

Adrenalin can make any meat tougher then it would have been.
Paulyman nice buck.