PDA

View Full Version : Point of impact changing - Compound bow

BiG Boar
02-23-2015, 10:50 PM
Hey guys,
Is it normal for the point of impact to change on a compound bow? I have an APA Mamba 34 and a Sure-loc lethal weapon sight. I group an average of 3 inches at 50 yards very consistently. I will put the bow away in the case, and take it out in a couple weeks, and about half the time, my point of impact will have shifted like 2-3 inches. What is going wrong? Is this common with many bows? It seemed to happen occasionally with my last bow also. Although ever component was different. Any thoughts?

tinhorse
02-23-2015, 10:58 PM
My only thought would be humidity in the air changing the flight of the arrows? As long as everything on the bow is secure. Just a guess....

Downwind
02-23-2015, 11:02 PM
Is your POI changing but group size the same? If yes I would say it's an inconsistant anchor. Shooting infrequently can make it challenging to keep a reliable anchor. Only other thing I could think would be something is moving on your sight.

Eastbranch
02-23-2015, 11:15 PM
Assuming you've triple checked all the mounting hardware on the sight, rest and stab, and served in your peep, it's probably an inconsistent anchor point. Doesn't take much to move POI 2" at 50y. Usually shooters will use the same anchor in one shooting session but often make small changes if theres time between sessions. Shooting in the same clothing helps reduce changes in posture and grip. Try to create a minimum of three reference points for a solid anchor. Write them down if you have to. At only 300fps it only takes a tiny change to move POI a fair bit (compared to a rifle)

Foxtail
02-23-2015, 11:29 PM
It's probably just putting the bow down for a few weeks at a time, picking the bow up a different way or drawing it differently, any kind of torque on the bow or in your release hand even will cause you point of impact to change. The problem is when things like this happen, we start messing with things like sights, weights, peeps, releases... When the cause is actually us. The fix?... Shoot more often :D

Steeleco
02-23-2015, 11:31 PM
Quit moving DUH LOL

Shooter
02-23-2015, 11:47 PM
Grip or anchor inconsistency.

BiG Boar
02-23-2015, 11:55 PM
I do hope its me. I have a peep sight on it, but it is possible its my anchor point. Yes the group size is staying the same, its just moving after a week put away. I wonder if its the hard case crushing it. Its not so easy to close, the foam is definitely pushing in on the bow.

Foxtail
02-24-2015, 06:35 AM
Shouldnt be hard to close... Bow should be strapped to the bottom half and the lid should lay shut. Do you leave the quiver on your bow?

BiG Boar
02-24-2015, 07:35 AM
there is no quiver on the bow.

02-24-2015, 07:59 AM
It's probably a slight variation in your grip. Like someone said, it doesn't take much variation to alter poi at 50 yards.

allan
02-24-2015, 07:59 AM
I have the same issues if I don't shoot regularly, I don't adjust anything and try to shoot regularly for a day or two and it seems to corect itself....

Big Lew
02-24-2015, 08:12 AM
I have the same issues if I don't shoot regularly, I don't adjust anything and try to shoot regularly for a day or two and it seems to corect itself....

Agree....it's likely your anchor point. Something doesn't sound right about your case not closing easily.
The top (lid) shouldn't be touching anything. Is your stabilizer a bit too long for the case? How much do
you have stuffed under the foam (ie- tool kit, release, range finder etc.)

Jetboater
02-24-2015, 08:30 AM
what kind of string as well, the first few months cheaper string will stretch a little,

Ambush
02-24-2015, 08:47 AM
Is it worse after a "Scotch Night"?

I doubt it's the bow or attachments. Not sure what bow you have, but PSE has $hitty strings that are susceptible to temperature/moisture change. I doubt you have enough difference in the lower mainland though.

Is the POI change primarily horizontal or vertical?

Riverbc
02-24-2015, 02:01 PM
try this if you don't already do it. It helped me immensely. When looking through peep, "halo" the outside of your sight housing, with your peep sight. Now you have 3 points of reference....your anchor point, your string(nose) and your peep, "haloing" the sight housing.
One more thing ....If I haven't shot for a while...I notice my distant groups suck....then I remember to squeeze the release, not "punch" it.

BiG Boar
02-24-2015, 02:06 PM
Yes, I do that halo thing Riverbc.

This last time it was horizontal mostly. Ambush

Got to get ready to compete in the Canadian Championships! Pretty excited about just having fun at the event.

Ambush
02-24-2015, 04:13 PM
This last time it was horizontal mostly.

If it is primarily horizontal deviation then I go with hand torque first, or possibly face pressure from slightly changing your head position.

Do you touch the string to your nose tip or the side of your nose? Both are good , but only use one.

When you grip your bow, I find it very useful to hang the bow from your release and then place your hand into the grip. Pull slightly on the release to hold the bow there and then raise the bow to your shooting stance. Consistent grip is everything for pin point target accuracy. Not as important for a ordinary hunter like me.

Blk Arrow
02-25-2015, 05:29 PM
Step 1. As previously mention are the sight and rest secure?
Step 2 Check clothing for anything that may be catching the string. A collar on a jacket can be an issue and it really messes with your head. Trust me on this one.

Step 3 If you have eliminated 1 & 2 continue practicing,as previously stated, to see if the situation rights itself. if not....

Step 4 Are your groups consistent in size and location? If not it is most likely your form. The question becomes what am I doing differently. The most common cause of horizontal deviation,as mentioned, is grip. Lack of follow through is the first part of my form that goes if I haven't been shooting for awhile and that throws consistency out the window.

Step 5 If your groups are consistently in 1 spot on the target and in the 3 inch range that you mentioned, you may want to make an adjustment to your equipment.

There are a lot of good tips by the members on here. The key to solving any problem is to break it down 1 piece at a time and not get overwhelmed.

Foxtail
02-25-2015, 06:33 PM
Figure out what is putting stress on your case. It should just lay shut. It might be something putting pressure on the limbs or riser or other parts, then maybe it relaxes back to normal after a few shots...

Downwind
02-26-2015, 10:56 PM
Might want to consider a kisser button. Should help ensure you keep your anchor point consistant. Either that or pick the thing more than once a month ;)