PDA

View Full Version : Water fowl hunting (bc coast)

mjplewak
02-23-2015, 05:18 PM
Hey Folks,

I am looking for a bit of advice on hunting waterfowl on the BC Coast, has anyone here tried it or found any that taste good? My general impression is that it is not a good idea especially since I live in Powell River.

BiG Boar
02-23-2015, 11:08 PM
get out there after them. Lots of fun.

Rhyla
03-19-2015, 11:50 AM
I live in Powell River also. My husband hunts waterfowl (while I handle/train our dog.) We don't get out and do a lot of it, but our experience has been relatively good. Some definitely do taste better than others. Either way, it's a great way to spend some time in the outdoors and have a lot of fun and put a bit of meat in the freezer!

03-19-2015, 01:47 PM
find yourself an estuary and get at it!
the learning curve is a steep one,,,, suffice to say you wont be stuck with a whole bunch of birds you dont want to eat.... Divers arent too tastey.. some people have ways of getting over the taste some dont shoot divers. I used to put the meat in a bowl with saran wrap over it for 3-4 days and drain it... some of the "Game" flavour would come out just like hanging a deer..

quick pointers.
have a dog or boat, if you dont got these shoot over dry land or a pond you can wade through,, do not shoot over open water without a dog or boat.
pattern your 12ga and dont shoot further then 30 or so yards.... buy a clay thrower and play with that...
Hunt rising tides not falling,,,,, your boat doesnt wind up 400yards from the water this way.

have fun, watch the birds,,,, dont worry about flavour yet.... you gotta kill'em first and that aint as easy as said

Ron.C
03-19-2015, 02:04 PM
I shoot all my ducks in the salt marsh and make pepperoni with most of my ducks. I've given it to quite a few people who can't believe its made from duck, let alone ducks from salt water. I also do some cajun flavoured duck strips not unlike the cajun beef strips you get in a pub. Pretty tastey with a spicy dipping sauce and a cold beer. One of my favourite snacks while watching a hockey game on the tube.

I shoot lots of Widgeon, pintails, mallards and some teal. The odd ringneck and spoonbill. I don't target the divers so i can't really comment on them.

To be honest, I'm a crappy shot. So I like to get them in nice and close before shooting. Tons of fun!!!!

shank
03-19-2015, 10:24 PM
i have shot a lot of ducks on the Chemainus esturay and chowie .. my no# 1 rules is i never shoot mallards early while the salmon are in the rivers ahahah they don't taste good at all but i have never shot a teal or wigeon or pintail and geese
that ever tasted fishy ...

mjplewak
12-03-2015, 03:26 PM
Those are some really good tips, thanks guys.