PDA

View Full Version : Confused about regs. and snowmobiles.

hawk-i
02-23-2015, 09:11 AM
Was reading the hunting regs. and it says the use of a snowmobile to hunt is prohibited. Then it says;

....The use of snowmobiles is permitted to transport wildlife, transport equipment, firearms or supplies or transport hunter to and from the location of wildlife (between dates given)......

Does that mean a person can use a snowmobile to get to an area and then use snowshoes when actually hunting, I'm confused about when transporting a hunter to a location of wildlife becomes hunting????

TPK
02-23-2015, 10:27 AM
The rule is around fair chase, can't push the animals with your sled or hunt from it. Consider the sled a vehicle and apply the same rules.

Barracuda
02-23-2015, 10:36 AM
They are like quads sxs or regular vehicles time place and elevation rules apply it is area specific rules. In the beginning of of each MU section it will say open and closed areas for mv, atv, and snowmobiles.

so as long as the area is open to them you can use them.

and you cant chase , run down or do a "game drive" with any vehicle .

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
02-23-2015, 10:37 AM
problem is they chance the regs every year so you need to double check . i once ask the CO here about using a sled to pound down the trail , and then use the quad the following day to enter a goat spot. he said that is legal . as long as you are NOT in the act of hunting . scouting is fine . with binos . no guns. . so using a sled to then snow shoes is in the act of hunting .other than cat hunting or trapping .

hawk-i
02-23-2015, 11:15 AM
problem is they chance the regs every year so you need to double check . i once ask the CO here about using a sled to pound down the trail , and then use the quad the following day to enter a goat spot. he said that is legal . as long as you are NOT in the act of hunting . scouting is fine . with binos . no guns. . so using a sled to then snow shoes is in the act of hunting .other than cat hunting or trapping .

But it says within dates listed it is legal to use it for transport to wildlife...so within those dates it would then be legal to use it to get to a area and hunt with the showshoes...wouldn't it??

TPK
02-23-2015, 02:27 PM
Yes, that is correct.