PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else hunt with a Packraft?

BromBones
02-22-2015, 11:37 AM
I never hear much talk of these in the BC hunting community but they are pretty popular in Alaska for hike/fly in and float hunts.

I bought one of the Alpacka rafts last year (the explorer model). Weighs 6ish lbs all in (with 4pc carbon fiber paddle) and packs down about the size of a solo tent. Pretty sweet for fly in hunts where a lake crossing is needed, turns a shitty bushwack into a leisurely paddle across. I can go from fully packed up, to inflated and pack tied on in under 10 minutes. For the guys who like to do a tour in the mountains, river crossings that used to block your path are not an issue. Break out the raft, ferry across with all your gear, and carry on. Google some of the Alaska sites, guys are floating out an entire ram + gear with no issues & ferrying moose quarters across lakes/rivers.

Did a few of the rivers in Reg 6 last year, they will wind through class 3 water if you can paddle. Class 2 is not an issue. Took it on a fly-in hunt last year and it's pretty frickin handy. Also did the Brown Bear - Swan Lake - Upper Kispiox route with it. Got caught on Swan when it whipped up nasty and with my 80lb dog, 40 lb pack and myself (210 lbs) and it was fine. I got soaked but never worried about losing it. This year I'm getting a spray skirt installed though.

They are very tough considering the light weight. You can fit a thermarest pro-lite in the bottom or cut a cheapy blue foam sleeping pad to fit. Adds flotation and keeps you warmer.

Something to consider for serious backpack hunters or where a raft is needed but space/weight is limited. They are pricey but once you see how useful they are, you'll be hooked.

northernguy
02-22-2015, 11:58 AM
I wondered about the Alpacka rafts. The weight is a major consideration for me because I have limited weight/space in the back of my plane. The Alpacka raft seems like a very versatile piece of gear. The spray skirt seems like a mandatory option from what I have read. Let us know how it works out for you.

Thanks for the information! Ya just made it way harder for me to not spend money :? :smile:!

longstonec
02-22-2015, 12:06 PM
Friend of mine uses one all the time for exploring and ski touring, recently got himself his hunting licence so he is good to go!

Watch "Eastern Risings" movie if you can find it. The use them for traveling some rivers in Russia.

longstonec
02-22-2015, 12:10 PM
I have thought it would be far more useful for solo floating some rivers for fishing. Need two trucks right now to do with pontoon boats.

Brew
02-22-2015, 02:58 PM
These are cool little boats. Thanks for posting this.

boxhitch
02-22-2015, 03:16 PM
So these are better than a $100 Sevylor ?

see also bigskyinflatables.com/
luv this vid www.youfish.tv/water-master-inflatables_0c0352c72.html

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
02-22-2015, 03:45 PM
i like it . i want one . more money . i need more . . lol

Trekker
02-22-2015, 04:00 PM
Ive been on the fence for a while on these. I like the look of the PR-49 from pristine ventures. Not quite as light as the alpackas, but it has a 850 pound capacity rating. Could be a useful tool to get back into some good sheep country.

Maxx
02-22-2015, 04:35 PM
I never hear much talk of these in the BC hunting community but they are pretty popular in Alaska for hike/fly in and float hunts.

I bought one of the Alpacka rafts last year (the explorer model). Weighs 6ish lbs all in (with 4pc carbon fiber paddle) and packs down about the size of a solo tent. Pretty sweet for fly in hunts where a lake crossing is needed, turns a shitty bushwack into a leisurely paddle across. I can go from fully packed up, to inflated and pack tied on in under 10 minutes. For the guys who like to do a tour in the mountains, river crossings that used to block your path are not an issue. Break out the raft, ferry across with all your gear, and carry on. Google some of the Alaska sites, guys are floating out an entire ram + gear with no issues & ferrying moose quarters across lakes/rivers.

Did a few of the rivers in Reg 6 last year, they will wind through class 3 water if you can paddle. Class 2 is not an issue. Took it on a fly-in hunt last year and it's pretty frickin handy. Also did the Brown Bear - Swan Lake - Upper Kispiox route with it. Got caught on Swan when it whipped up nasty and with my 80lb dog, 40 lb pack and myself (210 lbs) and it was fine. I got soaked but never worried about losing it. This year I'm getting a spray skirt installed though.

They are very tough considering the light weight. You can fit a thermarest pro-lite in the bottom or cut a cheapy blue foam sleeping pad to fit. Adds flotation and keeps you warmer.

Something to consider for serious backpack hunters or where a raft is needed but space/weight is limited. They are pricey but once you see how useful they are, you'll be hooked.

Great info, thanks for sharing. Which explorer model did you buy? There seems to be 3 on their site with explorer in their name?

Everett
02-22-2015, 04:43 PM
Always thought they are pretty neat though we decided to go with a pak canoe instead http://pakboats.com/

BromBones
02-22-2015, 05:13 PM
Great info, thanks for sharing. Which explorer model did you buy? There seems to be 3 on their site with explorer in their name?

Bought the unrigged Explorer model. Comes with the mini seat and back rest. Spray skirt has to be put on by the factory so if you want one, cheaper to order it initially rather than have to send the raft back later on.

BromBones
02-22-2015, 05:24 PM
So these are better than a $100 Sevylor ?

:) Just a little.

We use to take those cheapy Sevylors down the Kispiox when we were kids. One dirty look from a rock and you were swimming with a soggy piece of vinyl in tow. :)

The Alpackas are very tough as mentioned, and when inflated they are rigid. No getting folded up like a taco when you hit a drop.

BromBones
02-22-2015, 05:34 PM
I have thought it would be far more useful for solo floating some rivers for fishing. Need two trucks right now to do with pontoon boats.

Nice for that too. I did one trip with my bike last year. Parked truck at the take out, biked up 20k or so and floated back down with my bike strapped to the front of the raft.

leadpillproductions
02-22-2015, 07:07 PM
How would these boats work and handle for crossin northern bc rivers

swampthing
02-22-2015, 07:21 PM
I have been eyeballing those rigs as well. There always seems to be water to be crossed everywhere I go.

BromBones
02-22-2015, 07:44 PM
How would these boats work and handle for crossin northern bc rivers

No problem. Pick a spot with a low gradient and low banks, you'll be across and packed up again within 20 minutes and still have dry feet.

uraarchr
02-22-2015, 09:23 PM
They use them on the Ultimate Survival Alaska shows and they look durable.

leadpillproductions
02-22-2015, 09:49 PM
Always worry about rocks , but sure as hell would beat rubber dingy lol

Cordillera
02-22-2015, 10:48 PM
Neat boats. What do you wear for bottoms? I would guess you are wet so dry bottoms or waders? Or just live with it?

I have a friend who did a massive trip in Labrador last summer. Bagged a previously unclimbed peak after a hard week then used alpaca for 300 km trip to the Arctic Ocean!

604ksmith
03-01-2015, 02:11 PM
I've been on the fence about a PR-49 as well. The hunting/fishing opportunities are endless, but it's just difficult finding others to join in on river floats since not many have rafts. Wish someone would make a 30lb packraft that would hold 2 guys and carry 1200lbs. Would make a mean 2 guy moose rig!

FYI: PR-49's are on sale for $100 off right now.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-01-2015, 02:26 PM
Been on the radar for a few years. Just waiting for the perfect trip to dive in and make a purchase. I think a place down in chilliwack seems them.

Backwoods
03-01-2015, 06:14 PM
I am really interested in purchasing a packraft after seeing this post, have been looking into them the last few days and think it would be great

BromBones
03-01-2015, 06:35 PM
It's a good investment for the guys who appreciate how useful these really are. First time I put one to use I thought, "Why didn't I have one of these 10 years ago?" :)

Also I'd stay away from the NRS packraft unless your budget keeps you away from the Alpacka. They don't handle the rocks too well at all.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-01-2015, 07:18 PM
I'd probably have to go with a Denali with my height.

BB- do you have the carbon fibre paddle that converts to trekking poles?

BCrams
03-01-2015, 08:07 PM
I think I am one model down from SSS. It has been on our radar for a hunt for an adventure.

BromBones
03-01-2015, 08:15 PM
I'd probably have to go with a Denali with my height.

BB- do you have the carbon fibre paddle that converts to trekking poles?

I have the Manta Ray carbon. Been tough as nails so far. That pole/paddle combo isn't really rated for any hard paddling.

StoneChaser
03-01-2015, 09:57 PM
I bought an Alpacka and carbon/cedar paddle about 8 years ago and used it a few times. Cool little boat, but I sold it a few years back. I'm planning to replace it with a raft that has a little more payload. Looking at the PR-49 HD. A tad heavier but more boat for sure.

They offer a discount if multiple boats are purchased. Group buy anyone?

Useyourfeet
04-28-2015, 06:16 PM
Used my Denali Llama this year on a fly in. Perfect piece of gear for crossing the lake a quietly looking for moose and caribou. Way easier than bushwacking. If the wind comes up expect some more work to paddle it. Even ferried two grown men across the lake a couple times. That was the edge of the weight I would want in the boat though. Was nose heavy and handled poorly.

Cordillera
04-28-2015, 10:32 PM
I'm not sure what terrain these get into that we can't access in some other (more comfortable) fashion. In alaska they seem to have supercubs on tundra tires that land on a gravel bar and then you paddle out. In bc you get to a high lake and its a long paddle out, or you are still miles from a sheep ot goat or....

I think these would be great for those lake or river crossings like described but I'm not sure where else they really fit. Maybe it's a sweet spot for some hunters who know their area and this helps them get to the otherwise unhunted area.

And besides, you can never have too many boats.....

Camp Cook
05-22-2015, 10:18 PM
I just ordered a green base model Alpacka Rafts Denali Llama yesterday from Mt Waddington's Outdoors in Sardis.

Last August I bought and set up a Kawasaki KLX250S dual sport motorcycle for hunting/light weight camping so when I first found out about these boats that weigh max 6lbs a few weeks ago I had to get one.

My brain is now going nuts on all the new to me places I can explore/fish/hunt.

Just think only one - two hours drive from home I have the Chilliwack - Nahatlatch - Skagit - Chehalis - Coquihalla - Fraser rivers not to mention 2 - 3 hours drive or packing into lakes that are everywhere and I have my truck/trailer/motorcycle/boat to get me there = hunting/fishing/packrafting where no one else has easy access.

Here is an example once I spend enough time in the boat to safely run whitewater I can put in at Allison Pool on the Chilliwack River and fish every hard to get to fishing hole all the way down to within 300 yards of my house carry the boat/fish home jump on the motorcycle and head back up to the truck or on the way to the truck do an evening blacktail deer hunt in my favorite spot then to the truck.

For hunting I have super short lightweight single shot T/C Contender carbines with 14" barrels in 45 Colt, 375JDJ & 45-70 for fishing I already have my 4 piece fly rod = I am going to figure out how to securely strap them to the boat so I can hunt/fish as I drift downstream.

I started doing this stuff over 30 years ago but the little rafts I had access to back then sucked so bad that I quit.

Oh yeah to say I am excited about these little boats is an understatement.

bross
05-26-2015, 12:13 PM
Dont forget to check out the Baylee 1 & 2 (made by Feathercraft, used to manufacture all the Alpackas) - can get the self bailer, one heck of a boat and tough as nails. Buy Canadian!

Iron Sighted
05-29-2015, 08:44 PM
Slightly dubious about the payload(and space) for hunting trips, but I bought a Alpacka Yukon Yak last year for fly fishing the local rivers around me that all have next to no vehicle access. Not much fun on flat water, but I hate lake fishing anyways and they handle moving and white water better than I ever could have believed. I could see myself with a deer/sheep/goat sized animal in it but anything larger is going to require multiple loads.

Wish the rivers around me would clear up some so I could get the raft and my new two-handed rod out chasing some big bull trout.

Camp Cook
05-30-2015, 10:47 AM
Dont forget to check out the Baylee 1 & 2 (made by Feathercraft, used to manufacture all the Alpackas) - can get the self bailer, one heck of a boat and tough as nails. Buy Canadian!

Wish I had heard of Feathercraft before I ordered my Alpacka Denali Llama I would have checked them out because I totally prefer to buy local.

I now buy local made in Vancouver Taiga outdoor jackets/pants if I ever have an issue I can either drop it off or mail it in without worrying about border issues.

I dumped my dirt bike a few months ago I ripped the left knee of my Taiga Avalanche rain pants rip was so bad I figured my almost new $300 pants were now throw aways = I called Taiga shipped the pants to them and a couple weeks later I had my pants back completely repaired for $45 plus shipping I can't even tell that they were ever ripped.

One of the reasons I buy Leupold scopes is because Korth Ind the Canadian warranty service is just in Alberta.

Not going to cancel my order but when it comes time to upgrade I'll definitely check the Feathercraft Beast out I really like the looks of their rowing deck setup.

Salmon Belly
07-14-2015, 09:52 AM
I bought an Alpacka and carbon/cedar paddle about 8 years ago and used it a few times. Cool little boat, but I sold it a few years back. I'm planning to replace it with a raft that has a little more payload. Looking at the PR-49 HD. A tad heavier but more boat for sure.

They offer a discount if multiple boats are purchased. Group buy anyone?

I was the one that bought StoneChaser's raft. It is amazing, very happy with it. I shot a moose last year and loaded up the boned out meat and the head/antlers (about 550 lbs) and two us walked the shore line pulling raft with ropes. About a 2km hike, was incredible easy compared to getting it out on our backs. Then 5 days later my buddy shot his moose and we did the same thing over again.

Just a great pack raft.

SB

swampthing
07-14-2015, 09:29 PM
I could have used one this spring!! I drove 12 hours and then biked/hiked 5 hours only to get to a river I couldn't cross to get to my unit for a bear hunt.

cuervosail
02-15-2017, 04:52 PM

Unfortunately, Feathercraft went out of business in December, 2016. This is posted on their webpage ..."Feathercraft has now permanently stopped making folding kayaks, rafts and accessories. Due to a number of factors, including poor economic conditions, changing lifestyles, flight baggage restrictions and increasing costs, we have found that making our premium kayaks is no longer financially viable."

firebird
02-19-2017, 02:55 PM
Ya the alpacka rafts look pretty sweet, never seen one in person. Ive got an old 11' fold-a-boat I strap on the floatplane. Its Not even in the same boat (pun) as far as packability. But its a tough boat and nice to portage and perfect for 2 guys and a 2hp.