PDA

View Full Version : Need some EK Goat Help

rcar
02-22-2015, 11:07 AM
I have begun to plan my 14 day 50th birthday hunt. Plan right now is to hunt the middle 2 weeks of October.

I wanted to gather some information before I put in for my Goat LEH so hopefully someone here can give me a bit of direction. At this point I have decided on 4-23....sub region TBD. I have a couple of spots in mind but would like some more information about access.

My plan is a backpack hunt. I would like to pack in for no more than a full day (6-8 hours) and be able to set up base camp. I have a couple of areas already picked out but have a few questions about the areas.

I have been chasing goats for the past 3 years and although I have come very close, have not connected. I am hopeing to get my goat on my 50th b-day.

If anyone is familiar with this MU and willing to help, I would really appreciate it.

Cheers.

todbartell
02-22-2015, 12:10 PM
sounds like a great time. I can't give any info, but good luck!

Everett
02-22-2015, 01:24 PM
First week of November can be a big crap shoot in the Elk valley you can have big snow and big avalanche danger.

Brew
02-22-2015, 02:49 PM
Your timing is perfect. That's the same time we go. Usually pack in and stay for 4 days at a time. Last time we went it was cold and about 1-1.5 feet of snow. Was a lot of fun and the goats were in great spots

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
02-22-2015, 03:46 PM
why have you chosen 4-23 ?

j270wsm
02-22-2015, 04:11 PM
why did you choose my back yard??????? Stay away from those goats.......they're mine!!!!!

Let me know which areas your interested in and I'll try and help you out.

E.V.B.H.
02-22-2015, 05:33 PM
First week of November can be a big crap shoot in the Elk valley you can have big snow and big avalanche danger.
I agree with this, early nov usually has enough snowpack up high that you need to be very smart about how you travel and the terrain you expose yourself too. Without some Avalanche training this can be difficult to understand. Also it's possible to be in the -20's that time of year. However I have shot a goat near the end of November with 6" of snow and -3. That area can be very unpredictable that time of year. If it snows a lot and there is no logging in the area access can be next to impossible. Snowmobile only sometimes which isn't legal for hunting. Even though the hides are better later go as early as you can just in case

bangbangkhan
02-22-2015, 11:48 PM
have you thought of 4-35?

goatdancer
02-23-2015, 10:41 AM
4-23 has a lot of goats. Parts of it have vehicle restrictions but it's still not too bad for access. Snow could be a serious problem. My buddy and I just squeaked out of the upper Elk valley one year in mid October. Woke up to 'snow bunnies' rolling off the roof of our wall tent and decided to pack up and leave. An hour later we were packed up and heading out, it had dropped at least 6-8 inches. Almost 2 feet dumped down that day and the valley was snowed in. No road clearing so anyone that had big rigs was screwed.
On another trip we had a cow elk draw later and there wasn't a lot of snow but it was colder than hell. Went thru 3 20# tanks of propane in an 8 1/2' camper in 4 days just trying to keep everything from freezing.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
02-23-2015, 08:51 PM
I will give you a hint. If you walk across the street from my house and set up a spotting scope, you will be able to see (most days) just what you are looking for. I can see them without binoculars at times. Mind you I do have a fairly good imagination.. Joe can see them from his yard too.

goatdancer
02-24-2015, 08:10 PM
Gotta love hunting to do what you did ah the memories

That's for sure. It's getting a little tougher to do some of the things we did when younger but still keep trying.

j270wsm
02-24-2015, 09:06 PM
I will give you a hint. If you walk across the street from my house and set up a spotting scope, you will be able to see (most days) just what you are looking for. I can see them without binoculars at times. Mind you I do have a fairly good imagination.. Joe can see them from his yard too.

My oldest son watched me chase goats on that mtn when he was 5( spotting scope was mounted on the glass kitchen table). Next time I see you Mickey I'll show you the pics of mine and the boys goats.

killswithkimber
02-26-2015, 10:06 PM
Skeena reigion has bigger goats lower odds and half the drive! My next trip will be into that area!