PDA

View Full Version : Youth moose hunt suggestions

Huevos
02-21-2015, 11:45 PM
Well guys, now that us outfitters have so much quota that we don't know what to do with it, I am looking for ways to get rid of some. Seriously though, I will be looking at doing a hunt for a youth in 2016, but don't know the best way to go about it. Does anyone have some suggestions on where to find a deserving kid? I would like to have it go to someone that wouldn't normally get the chance to get out and hunt moose, a kid that has made a significant contribution to the community or somewhere along those lines. Would it be better if it were rut hunt, or during the youth calf season in your opinion?
Thanks in advance for any useful suggestions.

Caribou_lou
02-22-2015, 12:03 AM
Why didn't you consider this prior to having too many tags? All the Outfitters I know of (In the region I hunt) couldnt kill their AAH before this last handout... and now they have more. And the Outfitters that were killing their AAH most likely had been handing them out to reach it.

Were you filling your Quota?

Ferenc
02-22-2015, 12:03 AM
If I can offer any advice I would make the hunt about them and not the animal

Huevos
02-22-2015, 12:18 AM
Why didn't you consider this prior to having too many tags? All the Outfitters I know of (In the region I hunt) couldnt kill their AAH before this last handout... and now they have more. And the Outfitters that were killing their AAH most likely had been handing them out to reach it.

Were you filling your Quota?
Sorry Lou, the quota thing was an attempt at sarcasm. We don't have any trouble filling our quota, especially since we lost 30% of it in 2012. I would welcome any back, but would rather it come from better populations than decreased resident harvest. I actually am just looking for suggestions on a youth hunt

Huevos
02-22-2015, 12:25 AM
If I can offer any advice I would make the hunt about them and not the animal
Good advice. I was thinking along the lines of a family parent/youth deal. Hunting is always better with friends and family. Any good ways you know of to keep the focus on the experience?

Ferenc
02-22-2015, 12:39 AM
Youths are thirsty for knowledge.. Concentrate on the youth.. Let them play a role in the experience : )

Paulyman
02-22-2015, 12:44 AM
Sorry Lou, the quota thing was an attempt at sarcasm. We don't have any trouble filling our quota, especially since we lost 30% of it in 2012. I would welcome any back, but would rather it come from better populations than decreased resident harvest. I actually am just looking for suggestions on a youth hunt

I'm not familiar with the politics of guide quotas. Why did you lose 30% in 2012?

Whonnock Boy
02-22-2015, 12:47 AM
Honestly, I cannot help but think you are one of many guide outfitters that should not be claiming ANY economic hardship if you are willing, and able to give away a 5-10K hunt, albeit for a good cause, yet you do have to make sure everyone knows that you lost 30% of your quota. Talking out both sides of your mouth it seems.

We don't have any trouble filling our quota, especially since we lost 30% of it in 2012.

Gateholio
02-22-2015, 01:16 AM
Contact the BCWF and ask them to find you a deserving youth.

Huevos
02-22-2015, 01:20 AM
Honestly, I cannot help but think you are one of many guide outfitters that should not be claiming ANY economic hardship if you are willing, and able to give away a 5-10K hunt, albeit for a good cause, yet you do have to make sure everyone knows that you lost 30% of your quota. Talking out both sides of your mouth it seems.
I never said, or inferred that I was in economic despair. It doesn't Change the fact that we lost 30% of our quota. I bought some more territory to keep the business viable. You must be one of the residents that only hunt for sustenance. Never killed a trophy animal, only hunt for the meat. Can't afford to buy meat and hunting is the only way you can survive? I must have stole the last moose tag out there and now you will have to eat only deer. How does it feel to stereotyped? This thread is about youth getting a chance to go on a hunt, and ways to make it a good experience. If you don't like it, deal with it somewhere else.

Huevos
02-22-2015, 01:23 AM
I'm not familiar with the politics of guide quotas. Why did you lose 30% in 2012?
Part politics, and part moose management. If a guy looked, you would most likely see resident tags go down around the smart time as well, but not sure percentages. Not complaining, just what happened.

Paulyman
02-22-2015, 01:42 AM
Part politics, and part moose management. If a guy looked, you would most likely see resident tags go down around the smart time as well, but not sure percentages. Not complaining, just what happened.

I am NOT attacking you here,I'm sure it's a little hot right now being a guide ;-) but it does seem a little silly that because of politics and management that 1 user group should be handed a portion of another user groups allocations simply to make an industry viable.I am an electrical contractor and because of the new demographic of immigrant Electrical Contractors in Vancouver there are certain types of work that I cannot pick up contracts for here. I have had to find most of my work in West Vancouver. it just seems like a backwards way to fix an industry that really should be reinventing itself.

boxhitch
02-22-2015, 05:29 AM
Contact the BCWF and ask them to find you a deserving youth.Or your local F&G club , or a conservation group .
Some groups offer prizes like a hunt for essay contests or photo contests , makes for a bit of a competition if there are numerous participants.

Ride Red
02-22-2015, 07:41 AM
How about contacting the Childrens Hospital. There are a lot of youth doing great things in the comunity, but a last wish for a cancer patient would go a long way, especially for the families memories. Just my two cents, but I can't think of a more deserving hunt. Good luck. Ride Red.

Blainer
02-22-2015, 07:46 AM
How about contacting the Childrens Hospital. There are a lot of youth doing great things in the comunity, but a last wish for a cancer patient would go a long way, especially for the families memories. Just my two cents, but I can't think of a more deserving hunt. Good luck. Ride Red.Excellent thought.
Get's my vote
"Make a wish foundation"??

Rhyno
02-22-2015, 07:47 AM
Huevos....I think it's a great thing you are doing and yes I got your sarcasm.

Good luck finding a worthy candidate, I am sure there are lots out there!

Rhyno
02-22-2015, 07:48 AM
How about contacting the Childrens Hospital. There are a lot of youth doing great things in the comunity, but a last wish for a cancer patient would go a long way, especially for the families memories. Just my two cents, but I can't think of a more deserving hunt. Good luck. Ride Red.

This is what I was thinking as well.

mcmullmar
02-22-2015, 07:50 AM
Good idea Red Ride.

Wild one
02-22-2015, 07:52 AM

This would be a good idea unfortunately there are kids who only have a short time to full fill there dreams.

Nice to see you offering to help out youth.

Those posting anti guide BS in this thread should give it a break and move on.

Seeker
02-22-2015, 08:33 AM
This would be a good idea unfortunately there are kids who only have a short time to full fill there dreams.

Nice to see you offering to help out youth.

Those posting anti guide BS in this thread should give it a break and move on.

^^x2

I have a coworker whose child is not in the terminal stages of things that was just given a trip to Disneyland through make a wish foundation. That sounds like the place to go to find the child you are looking for . Looks like they have children that have illnesses but are capable of getting around still.

chilcotin hillbilly
02-22-2015, 08:47 AM
Huevos, Nice thing to do, I always believed we are blessed to be outfitters doing what we love.Giving a trip to some special kid is outstanding.

Huevos
02-22-2015, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the good suggestions here guys. I will let you know what we decide to do.

Wentrot
02-22-2015, 09:21 AM
I'd also say the children's hospital idea. Keep us in the loop.

Daybreak
02-22-2015, 09:27 AM
Wow, what you are offering will change a youths life for ever and potentially steer them in a better direction than they might otherwise go.

I suggest you contact Big Brothers of BC and I will explain why.

I would choose a young boy/man because there are so many who have absolutely no male influence in their lives. Many grow up in single parent homes with only a mothers influence and the moms struggle not only to make ends meet but also to mold their boys into the men they wish they could. Weeks, months and years go by for these boys and they have no male with who they can bond and learn. No one to set an example, no role model, no hope, no one to toss a football or play catch with, no one to teach them the things a man needs to know. Many lonely boys with little or no direction have been transformed into solid and honorable men through the Big Brothers organization. These men often go on to repay the guidance 10 times over and the benefit grows exponentially. Helping one boy now can help 10 down the road over the years.

I have attached a small video from the Big Brother's , it is simple yet speaks volumes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XQ90D7RBvqs

You have created an opportunity to change someone's' life, the life of the mother and potentially the life of many others over the years.

However you decide to find a candidate, be aware that it well require a criminal record check through the RCMP and possibly other agencies.

Good on you Huevos; giving back to the community!

HD95
02-22-2015, 09:32 AM
While I have a huge issue with the GOABC,your offer is commendable.

Daybreak
02-22-2015, 09:33 AM
I meant to mention that I would choose the rut period to take the youth. Late Sept/early Oct. is beautiful in BC and the chance of hearing a bull and or cow calling in the morning mist would in itself be an experience of a lifetime for a youth.

nature girl
02-22-2015, 09:42 AM
Another vote for make a wish foundation hunt for a youth.

BigfishCanada
02-22-2015, 10:32 AM
One suggestion is to contact wounded warrior, maybe a vet has a kid and it can be a father son hunt, just a suggestion

boxhitch
02-22-2015, 10:41 AM
"Make A Wish Foundation in the States has refused hunt offers and requests , so I would think the same policy applies here .
Other organizations have picked up the slack , that have a firearms or hunting or conservation agenda.

HarryToolips
02-22-2015, 11:01 AM
While I have a huge issue with the GOABC,your offer is commendable.

x2.................

BigfishCanada
02-22-2015, 11:24 AM
heres a group doing it http://huntofalifetime.org/index.php?option=com_contact&view=category&catid=24&Itemid=37

M.Dean
02-22-2015, 11:27 AM
Some young hunters going to have the hunt of a life time, thanks to you, what a nice thing to do! If a guy had the time, or some help, you could ask kids to write a short story explaining why they should be picked as the winner of this moose hunt. You'd have to have the time to read each story, then you could pick the top 3 or 5 etc, put them in a hat and pick one. And my hat is off to you Sir for thinking up such a caring gift for a new hunter!