PDA

View Full Version : Mabel lake ice off?

Junorr500
02-21-2015, 09:11 PM
When does mabel lake usually loose the ice? Or does it even ice up in this global warming climate?

wrenchhead
02-21-2015, 09:24 PM
It doesn't ice up much, I heard the lumby end launch was open now. Fishing might be starting to come on with the warm sunny days bringing on bug activity.

wrenchhead
02-21-2015, 09:26 PM
Fishing is usually really hot around easter

elkrub
02-26-2015, 11:18 PM
I'd like to give it a try. Tried once last year for salmon, no luck. I was camping at the north end. Anyone know if there is a forest site on the south end?

Sofa King
02-27-2015, 01:16 AM
the main provincial campground is at the south end.
and for salmon, there's a channel that runs from the river outflow down the west side of the lake all the way to the river inflow at the bottom.
most boats concentrate on trolling along that.
my best on mabel was a 32 lb. king almost right down at the south end.
and it felt great sliding him back into the water knowing he was home-free once he hit that river mouth.
I like to think that he went on to be the papa to many a fry that fed many a rainbow that I've since caught.

landphil
02-27-2015, 07:23 AM
Anyone know if there is a forest site on the south end?

There is one a few KM north of the Provincial campground on the east side (at the southern tip). I seem to recall it's one big open site, but I've only seen it from the water.

Dannybuoy
02-27-2015, 07:55 AM
the big forestry campsite is @27 1/2 km , there are a couple of boat access campsites @ 13-14 km , the provincial campground is @ 9km . This is from the Lumby or south end . From the Enderby side there is the Noisy creek Forest service campground which is about 1/2 way from Dolly Varden beach and the north end (Wap river )
I don't believe Mable froze over this year , and I have heard of guys fishing the south end this year already .... typically the campground opens ( starts charging) April 1

elkrub
02-27-2015, 10:26 PM
Thanks guys, thinking of heading that way at Easter.