PDA

View Full Version : Brown Bear Highway Run

604ksmith
02-20-2015, 07:23 PM
Not sure this has been posted before, it's from November, but here's a pretty amazing video showing the power and speed of these Brown bear beasts!

http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/web-extra-kodiak-brown-bear-takes-roadside-run/29080680

SPEYMAN
02-20-2015, 09:10 PM
Nimble bugger.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
02-20-2015, 09:15 PM
Great (if very brief) video!

These truly are spectacular animals.

srupp
02-20-2015, 09:41 PM
Hmm seen kne of these guys running throigh thick undergrowth..no slowdown in speed..all you could see is trees and shrubs moving as he made his escape looked like a scene from preditor..vouldnt see the animal just the results of his movement.
Srupp

Clint_S
02-21-2015, 09:03 AM
Bears,especially in the past were not given credit for their speed and agility.
I've been behind a black bear at full tilt in my pickup and I could barely believe how fast he was going. Gravel spraying my windshield from him digging his claws at full speed then turning and blasting through a wall of roadside regen at full speed. I would have been hard pressed to make my way through with a machete.
Also watched a bear leisurely walking on the railroad steel while looking all around from side to side without so much as a wobble. I would have had arms flailing all over to keep balance.
If you've ever treed a number of bears generally they just go up and find a nice perch but at times they will do things that would put a monkey to shame.

Pretty awesome animals and generally underrated.

markomoose
02-22-2015, 10:38 AM
Try outrunning a Bear.Never gonna happen!

604ksmith
02-22-2015, 11:00 AM
Cool stories Clint.

I too have seen Bears do some pretty remarkable stuff in the bush. I once saw a black bear climb about 20-25 ft in tree only to realize he liked the tree next to him better. So he simply reached over and with one arm grabbing the new tree, jumped the 2-3 foot gap.

Now everytime I see one of those tree stand videos with a bear climbing the tree right next to the hunter I always shutter after reading comments like "good thing he went up the wrong tree!"