PDA

View Full Version : Bear Rut

Busterbrown
02-20-2015, 06:34 AM
Most of us are familiar with the importance and benefits of hunting the rut for moose, deer and elk however I have seen little or no information on the habits of bears during a rut period. Anyone know if or when it occurs Any patterns of big boars during this period, when does it occur

ace76
02-20-2015, 06:44 AM
Mid May to mid June with the first couple weeks of June being the peak.

ACE
02-20-2015, 08:23 AM
Watched a big boar with a sow ..... early June.
We closed in on them. The sow was real 'antsy' .... kept acting like she had got a whiff of us, but we had good steady breeze ....
The boar was somewhat agitated ....
We would be losing light very soon. I made a long, loud snort. The boar wheeled around in a flash and he was coming.
My friend took the tension out of his mainspring. .... 20 5/16"

Have done this a number of times ..... works when a boar and sow are together. Things happens fast. ..... Be prepared.
I would recommend that you don't try this in the thick stuff ....
Spooks off a sow with cubs.
A boar alone will sometimes, sometimes not check you out. Also the single boars don't seem as aggressive ....

Have fun ..... be safe.

Wild one
02-20-2015, 09:08 AM
Early June and it causes the big boars travel.

This can be a good or bad thing depending on how you hunt bears

Apolonius
02-20-2015, 09:15 AM
A sow that is a late sleeper if found by a boar that is an early bird ....he "does" her right there.True ,i read it in the national enquirer.

bc_buckshot
02-20-2015, 09:56 AM
Mid May to mid June with the first couple weeks of June being the peak.

Right on the money.....never fails during that time. Best thing about that is you can acutally take your time watching both and judging. Only thing I incourage is if your looking for a good hide, foucs alot around the rump and face and make sure there is no rubbing marks. Bear rut is just as fun as deer rut