PDA

View Full Version : Last gasp elk LEH 7-21

XMD70
02-18-2015, 03:01 PM
Two of us oldtimers have elk draws that expire on the 28th. Health and other issues have kept us from getting up to Chetwynd area till now. Looks like we can get out next week for a couple of days. Any free advice or hints? Anyone been there recently? Thanks.

srupp
02-18-2015, 03:15 PM
Hmmm all 3 ranches are reporting no elk....may end up at home..
Steven

Sitkaspruce
02-18-2015, 07:22 PM
Saw elk today on crown land just off the private land at the back end of the Upper Cache on the Inga Lake road. Lots of tracks and sign around. Rafter G has the private land and you could maybe give then a call.

Cheers

SS

captainhooke
02-18-2015, 11:17 PM
If you go into Pouce Coupe to the old dairy farm they had a heard of a hundred or so in there this winter. I got a nice bull.
good luck
HH

srupp
02-18-2015, 11:49 PM
Hmmm I do have a contact in that area will recheck..thank you..

Thanks Ken for the encouragement.
Steven

f350ps
02-19-2015, 07:51 AM
One thing I know for sure, you'll never fill your draw sitting at home on the computer. There's also a ton of crown up there, if they aren't on some ranch field they'll be in the bush, they don't leave the country so go find them. There's a reason it's called hunting!! K

srupp
02-19-2015, 03:11 PM
One thing I know for sure, you'll never fill your draw sitting at home on the computer. There's also a ton of crown up there, if they aren't on some ranch field they'll be in the bush, they don't leave the country so go find them. There's a reason it's called hunting!! K

hmmm sorry Ken waiting for hip replacement before 2 knees...not going to be able to hike through too much snow or much distance..but don't want to waste the tag. My situation has deteriorated signifificantly actually no hip left, bone on bone was months ago .Tim just got home, if were going it will be in a few days..
regards

Steven

1 year ago would have been doable to go looking its got that bad that fast.

f350ps
02-19-2015, 09:13 PM
Srupp, I wasn't directing that to you solely, it was a general comment! I've done that hunt successfully and know what's involved,when we went up we had two tags and the weather warmed up as soon as we got up there, if ya look hard enough they are there. What bothers me is there's a lot of guys, me included, that want that draw so we really don't like hearing about why guys can't go! This is exactly why they should have a mechanism for returning draws! K

srupp
02-19-2015, 10:06 PM
Ken I agree..when I applied..didn't expect..a moose draw, a doe deer draw, a elk draw,a goat draw and get my coveted alberta Pronghorn draw , all in one year...

when I applied was so much different than now. What you mentioned embarrassed me for exactly why you posted, and you are 100% correct..and Im sorry..I just didn't see the dramatic downward spiral of my ability to even stand up when I applied...and I feel truly badly

I did have an invite back to the ranch from last years success..however somehow I got misplaced..guys are lined up staying in hotel to get a crack at these elk..

I am phoning last ranch on my list, and was instructed to call back Monday..

Ken no argument..you are correct and I do feel bad about the goat and the elk tags sitting on the desk..I did get out for the other 3 animals .

yes there should be a way to return draws..both the goat and elk are premium draws..highly selected and coveted..

also truly ridiculous for 1 hunter to get 4 tags while other hunters go without. Your points are valid , and well spoken..

If there is anything that is physically possible I will use the elk tag...goat is total write off sadly.

good points Ken

cheers

Steven

moosinaround
02-19-2015, 10:22 PM
wish I had some time off Steve, I'd take ya up there to Sherpa for ya! I know a spot or 2 that'll have elk! Keep on givin Er steve, and no worries about the tags, I'm sure you would trade them for your health. Get better big guy, then go get em again! Moosin

srupp
02-20-2015, 12:32 AM
Hmmm thanks.. Bro.I appreciate the kind encouragement..55 days but who is counting..at least some of the honey..do list is getting done .
With Tim home tonite gonna try and make it happen..
Cheers
Stev

birdee
02-20-2015, 07:30 PM
pouce coupe i was born there and went to school dawson creek graduated never ever saw any elk .that area isn't what i remember.my dad said there was
some in the toms lake area that was 45 yrs ago

moosinaround
02-25-2015, 09:51 PM
pouce coupe i was born there and went to school dawson creek graduated never ever saw any elk .that area isn't what i remember.my dad said there was
some in the toms lake area that was 45 yrs ago
How long since you been back to the Pouce area? Been elk in there since I first started hunting up there in 1998?!! Lots of whitetails, mulies, and moose too!! Hmmm might have to go back in there next fall?? Moosin