PDA

View Full Version : Bird Taxidermy

One Shot
04-02-2007, 10:45 AM
I have a Pygmy Owl that hit the window :sad: this morning. I am thinking of getting it mounted. Who is good but reasonable to mount this owl in the lower mainlang area? Can they be freeze dryed? Waiting for a call back from F&G to get a permit.

lip_ripper00
04-02-2007, 11:33 AM
one of the guys I work with collects birds of pray and he swears by Fur and Feathers in Surrey

GoatGuy
04-02-2007, 11:41 AM
Call the CO's and get the permits asap - - owls, eagles, hawks etc., are a big deal with the gov't. I'd leave a message on the 1-800 number with what happened as soon as possible.

Not trying to scare you but taxidermy and bop are a very shady area in BC and poaching is a big concern.

1/2 slam
04-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Throw it in the freezer. Get yourself a permit ($60 bucks if I remember) and take it to Frank Gilbert at Fur and Feathers taxidermy in Surrey.

The only problem you may have is if they decide the bird is worth more than $200. If so they keep it and auction it off.

hunter1947
04-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Call the CO's and get the permits asap - - owls, eagles, hawks etc., are a big deal with the gov't. I'd leave a message on the 1-800 number with what happened as soon as possible.

Not trying to scare you but taxidermy and bop are a very shady area in BC and poaching is a big concern. I don't think they will give a permit out ,they are very stick with issuing them on any protected birds. A herring hit the power lines at work ,i tried getting a permit no way they would not give me one. And i am a register Trapper. :mad: hunter 1947

hunter1947
04-02-2007, 05:16 PM
You have to have a permit before any taxidermy will touch that protected bird ,if they do take the bird to stuff it ,he the taxidermy will be breaking the law. hunter 1947.

1/2 slam
04-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Folks DON'T give out false information. Statements like"I think" are great for that. I have obtained permits for Barn, Barred, Great Horned, Sawhet and Sharp shinned hawks. Buddies have them for others. I can't say if they will give out a Pygmy Owl. Frank from F&F says they will. There is only one way to find out for sure.

Thay issue a temporary permit now so the taxidermist can take it. But you must get the process started in order to get it.

3kills
04-02-2007, 07:57 PM
my auntie got a sawhet owl stuffed a few years ago she accidently got it with the weed eater....

270WIN
04-02-2007, 11:00 PM
gardner and sons did this cooper hawk for me about 9 years ago. it flew into my ware house were i was working and broke his neck i phoned the co and booked an apointment went to the office the co inspected the bird then wrote me up a permit i took the permit and bird to gardner and son in surrey on fraser hwy.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/hawk2.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4798&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

Allen50
04-02-2007, 11:59 PM
if you put it in the frezzer wrap it in the news paper and put it in a brown bag to keep it freash.. don't use plasket,, and a permit is a must, the f&g may want to see the bird to make sure it was not shot or anything else, and they may take it too , good luck..